IGNORED

Programming AM27C64 with Atari Basic C

venom4728a

Hello, I am trying to flash a AMD 27C64 EPROM with the Atari BASIC Ver C Bin.  It is failing each time, but not sure why.

Before Programming.

213870287_BeforeProgram.thumb.PNG.034cad8b2472f500e98e644a94214dc0.PNG

Programming Failed.

1858205487_ProgramFailed.thumb.PNG.5623728d01584fa9cecad945f1630262.PNG

Programmer & Chip

1257223370_ProgrammerChip.thumb.jpg.f52ef3f70f91fa03fe0a8a9cbc5347c0.jpg

1) I have a UV Chip eraser which I used to erase the 3 @ AM27C64 EPROMS for 25 minutes. Tech Data Sheet says the erasing process should take between 15 to 20 minutes.

2) I have a New TL866II + XGecu Pro which I am pretty sure its the real deal and not a knock off, I purchased it from Jameco.  I flashed it with the most recent firmware 4.02.126

3) I am using the latest software XGpro Ver 11.20

4) I have successfully programmed 4@GAL22v10c and 1@Lattice GAL22v10 with no issues.

5) I select AMD, AM27C64. This chip is in the list.

6) I load Atari Basic ver c Bin file. (Attached)

7) I open the Program Box and when I click program all it says is program failed.  I have saved the log file(Attached) but it has the same message.

Any one have any ideas what I need to do to get a successful flash?

Thank You!

Best Regards

venom4728a

P_log.txt BASIC Rev. C Cartridge.bin

Untick "flash" ? - that's not a flash chip...

Might also want to select a different "similar" chip like ST 27C64. Match up voltage.

You can confirm the chip is indeed blank beforehand with the blank check button. (If it's already blank when you received it, it doesn't need a UV bath)

At least those are my 1st thoughts...

• Like 3

Ok, Thank you for the reply's. I tried the suggestion given above but each time the burn failed. I think the AM27C64 are either bad or just not compatible with this programmer.  Unfortunately, its not the first time this year for me, I received a batch of either fake or bad 41464 memory chips too.   

I dug through my boxes of stuff and found a tube of Intel G2764A chips that I purchased years ago and I was able to burn a Atari BASIC Rev c and and Altirra BASIC Rev 1.56.

I also found a tube of 27C128 and was able to burn 3 ROMS for OS:

1)Atari XL OS with Hias high speed patch

2)Atari XE OS with Hias high speed patch and reverse option for BASIC

3)Atari XEGS OS with Hias high speed patch, Fast math patch and reverse option for BASIC

Now On to my next adventure.  I would like to burn a 27C256 with 4 different 8k ROMS, Example: 1)Atari Basic Rev C, 2) Altirra Basic 1.56, 3)Assembler Editor, 4)130XE Diagnostics Rom.  

How do I go about putting the 4 8k ROMS into 1 file.  Do I just open each of them in something like notepad+ and cut and paste them all into one long file?

Thank You in advance.

best regards.

Venom4728a

Edited by venom4728a
Added more details.

1 hour ago, Roydea6 said:

if in window 7 i use copy filea+fileb+filec+filed epromfile

and why are you using Altirra Basic 1.56 and not 1.57 ..

Same can be done in SpartaDos X atari with the append command.

Thank you for the response.   I cannot find Altirra basic 1.57.  On the website the latest version available 1.56. There was a link to a Beta version of Altirra 4.00 but the link no longer works.

I found a HxD software, it has an concatenate function that seems to have joined them successfully. I burned the combined bin file to the 27c256 . now to setup some switches to be able to switch between the banks.

Thank You.

Is the programming operation still failing?

The dump looks right - but can you provide a shot of what's present at offset 1F00-1FFF ?  That's where the startup vectors are.

Re the other thing - I don't think a diagnostic mode cartridge image will work as a resident Rom in place of Basic.  Default is that Basic is switched out when the test for a diag cartridge takes place so it won't run on a stock OS.

21 hours ago, Rybags said:

Is the programming operation still failing?

The dump looks right - but can you provide a shot of what's present at offset 1F00-1FFF ?  That's where the startup vectors are.

Re the other thing - I don't think a diagnostic mode cartridge image will work as a resident Rom in place of Basic.  Default is that Basic is switched out when the test for a diag cartridge takes place so it won't run on a stock OS.

I gave up on the Am27c64 chips after several hours of trying.  I then found some Intel G2764A chips and they burned successfully on the 1st attempt.

I think, I will try to find 4 different versions of BASIC to burn.  1)Atari Basic Rev C, 2) Altirra Basic  3) Basic ++  4) Some other 8k BASIC still looking.

Edited by venom4728a
  • Like 1

The TL866II+ cannot program Eproms that require +21V for the programming, it only goes to +18V, that might be the problem.  However on another note, they work great with EEPROMS like the Winbond W27C512, which are pretty easy to get, and not that expensive.  I found an Aliexpress shop that sells genuine versions, that are used, but in great condition for basically $1 a piece. 

Something I've noticed when trying to burn EPROMS with the TL866II+ using a Dell laptop.  I kept getting verify failures if I was only using internal laptop battery power to energize the USB.  Once I plugged the Dell into the AC outlet (wall power), it worked every time.  In my case, I guess the TL866 couldn't get enough power from the USB port when only using internal battery power (maybe some power save feature/current limiter when unplugged).

• Like 1