IGNORED

Any "fix" for the slow download speed?

Razzie.P

I can't seem to figure out what's up with my download speeds on XBox Series X.  Net searching just seems to find a lot of useless info and people saying "I don't have that problem, you're stupid" to each other.

• PC Downloads download speeds are getting 450 - 480 Mbps
  • PS5 download showing 450.4 Mbps
  • XBox series X getting 11.62 Mbps

All currently connected via ethernet, but wireless is getting about the same speed.  Also doesn't seem to matter which gadget is connected to which router port, same results for all.

Any help and info is appreciated!  

• Sad 1

Do you subscribe to Game Pass? I don't know anything about your problem but my PS4 never downloads stuff while in standby (unless I force it through the PlayStation website) and my brother told me it's because I don't subscribe to PS+. So maybe Microsoft restricts the bandwidth for people who don't subscribe, even though that would be a dick move. It's pretty strange anyway since you use Ethernet.

• Like 1

Yep, I have Game Pass ultimate, so even if they are pulling that dick move, it shouldn't be a factor here.

Also, I didn't think PS+ was required for PS4 for that.  I'll check to be sure, but my kids don't have PS+, and to the best of my knowledge, their stuff downloads fine when it's in standby.  It's been a while, but seems like we just had to enable an "auto update" setting for it to work properly.  Could be wrong, though.

not for sure.  the only time I had an issue like that was when I had my Series X hardwired to a router that capped at 100 meg- once I moved it to my cable modem I was getting 300-400 megs from my router.

you might check your network options on the xbox if your other devices are playing nice with the Internet and it's not.

Yeah, all games have to be suspended or closed, otherwise downloads are heavily throttled. I found that out this weekend as well when downloading stuff to my Series S. I was getting 20mbps or less while games were running, then when closing them it jumped up to the 200mbps I was supposed to be getting.

On 8/30/2021 at 1:14 PM, digdugnate said:

not for sure.  the only time I had an issue like that was when I had my Series X hardwired to a router that capped at 100 meg- once I moved it to my cable modem I was getting 300-400 megs from my router.

you might check your network options on the xbox if your other devices are playing nice with the Internet and it's not.

Plugging straight to my modem helped a bit.  It started getting 98.2 Mbps.  Better, but still nowhere near the speeds of my other gadgets.

18 hours ago, HammR25 said:

The only thing I've heard is to go into the Queue and if the Supsend My Game button is there then select it because having suspended games waiting to be played can cause downloading to be slower.

XboxSUspend.jpg

8 hours ago, Austin said:

Yeah, all games have to be suspended or closed, otherwise downloads are heavily throttled. I found that out this weekend as well when downloading stuff to my Series S. I was getting 20mbps or less while games were running, then when closing them it jumped up to the 200mbps I was supposed to be getting.

Nothing running, so I dunno.

Thanks everyone, for the replies and info!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 2:14 PM, Austin said:

Same here.. I don't play anything while a game is updating and get 150 to 200 mbps. I'm just a gold user, no game pass here. Did you try a hard reset? That might help.

Fixed!!!    Woo Hoo!!

So… after a lot of arguing with Microsoft, and a lot of wasted time with their nearly useless customer service process, I finally bitched and complained enough to where I was able to get it resolved.

They wouldn’t tell me why the speeds were “throttled,” – just gave me some bullshit about how I haven’t played games online in a while so my "profile hadn’t updated properly," whatever the heck that means – but after an “escalated support ticket” to have my profile updated, I’m now connecting at full speed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3