IGNORED

Getting SF314 to work with internal GoTek

Anyone here know how to get my system to recognize an external SF314 floppy drive?

My system: 1080 STe with GoTek installed in place of the internal floppy  and UltraSatan external.

I’d like to back-up floppies from the SF314 to the GoTek or UltraSatan, or at least be able to boot from the external to play disk based games, or copy from floppy to UltraSatan.

thx - James

9 minutes ago, Airshack said:

Anyone here know how to get my system to recognize an external SF314 floppy drive?

My system: 1080 STe with GoTek installed in place of the internal floppy  and UltraSatan external.

I’d like to back-up floppies from the SF314 to the GoTek or UltraSatan, or at least be able to boot from the external to play disk based games, or copy from floppy to UltraSatan.

thx - James

The ST can be modified to boot from an external floppy.  (you can install a switch to boot from internal or external)... I can't solder to save my life but I've completed this mod, so I'd say it's an easy one.  I did this to be able to boot from an external floppy emulator.  I left the internal one as an actual floppy.  But the reverse works too...

• Thanks 1

I'm not aware of you needing to do anything at all. The ST has no idea that it has a Gotek installed. As far as it is concerned, there's a regular old Atari internal drive installed, and anything external should just work, just like it should with a regular old Atari with an internal floppy drive. Mine have always just worked.

Now, the second part of your question, about booting from the external floppy, that is something that is not normal to the 1040STe, and it will require some mods to get that to work, but it really has nothing at all to do with the fact that you have an internal Gotek. It's just because the system wasn't designed to do that. The link to the video that @8bitguy1 posted should help with that part.

As far as the other, I don't know what to tell you other than it sounds like your STe isn't picking up the external drive, which could mean an issue with your 1040STe or the SF314. Are you 100% certain that that drive worked externally with that machine before your Gotek install?

@bfollowell has much better reading comprehension than me.  I did not answer the first part, but I share his experiences...I've never had any issue with an ST or STe recognizing a gotek or HxC floppy emulator, it has always just worked, as either A if internal or B if external..

3 hours ago, Airshack said:

I was hoping I could simply run the GoTek as floppy drive A with the floppy external as drive B.

Yep, that should work fine without doing anything special.

Right now the GoTek emulates both drives A and B. Perhaps by some simple settings the GoTek B drive can be eliminated?

Are you sure about that? That is not how a normal Gotek behaves.

Note that when a single drive is detected the operating system will use the single drive both as A: and B: for copying purposes. But this is just a high level logical mapping performed by the OS, and should get away as long as two physical drives are detected. Also note that you must boot with both drives turned on because drive detection is performed at boot time only. You don't need to insert a disk in the second drive at boot time, but it must be connected and turned on or it won't be detected.

Anything is possible with some wiring and switches, bitd I had 3 floppy drives attached to my ST although obviously only 2

could be active at any time, it ended up like this because the first 2 DSDD drives I owned were a 3 1/2 & 5 1/4 drives,

later when I got a second 3 1/2 drive, I put it in the same enclosure as the other 3 1/2 with a 34 way ribbon cable to

the 5 1/4, I kept the 5 1/4 drive as I used it (via another switch and added circuit) to read 40 track disks from my 800/130XE,

BBC Micro etc.

On 8/30/2021 at 3:02 PM, bfollowell said:

I'm not aware of you needing to do anything at all. The ST has no idea that it has a Gotek installed. As far as it is concerned, there's a regular old Atari internal drive installed, and anything external should just work, just like it should with a regular old Atari with an internal floppy drive. Mine have always just worked

This is what I assumed as well.

Thinking back, I accomplished the GoTek install BEFORE I purchased the external drive. I believe the jumper settings on the GoTek drive may be set to enable drives A and B. This may be the case which results in a conflict with the external drive B? 

19 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

although obviously only 2

could be active at any time,

This is perhaps my issue then? Not being an ST User until recently, I find this fact less than obvious.

Tomorrow I’ll set the GoTek jumpers to disable the GoTek’s drive B. Then I shall be in business with an active external drive, I hope.

Edited by Airshack