IGNORED

My Atari Jaguar Collection

andym07

Building my collection has been a labor of love, and much enjoyment going all the way back to the mid 90's - but now I have a new baby, and have quickly learned I no longer have the time (or energy) to devote to my Jaguar collection.  

It's time to let it go.

I am posting it here to see if anyone would be interested in the collection as a whole, as opposed to all the work it would take parting it out on ebay.  

Here's a list of everything I can think of, there is probably more...everything is clean, working and well maintained:

Jaguar and CD consoles with boxes

Complete "original run" cartridge collection (Air Cars, Atari Karts and Battlesphere are repros, all else oem)

Several CD games and some home brews

Blockbuster rental case

Catbox, Jag-Link, Team Tap

Sealed Pro Controller

Sealed regular controller

Sealed Wolfenstein 3D and International Superstar Soccer

OEM Pro Controller with dial mod for Tempest 2000

Extra OEM pro controller, a few extra regular controllers, and a 3rd party pro controller

Jagware hat, fanny pack, laptop bag, water bottle, bumper stickers, some misc ads

Some unused/flat boxes and extra manuals etc

OEM S-Video cable and unopened oem composite cable, controller extension cables, oem power adapters (1 extra)

Located in Columbia SC.  A local deal would probably be required, can't imagine shipping something like this. 

It's probably a long shot, but wanted to post here and see if anyone was interested in the whole lot.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested, or have any questions.  Thanks!

Andy

20210830_135100.jpg

20210830_135110.jpg

20210830_135119.jpg

20210830_135130.jpg

20210830_135139.jpg

20210830_135214.jpg

20210830_135331.jpg

20210830_135340.jpg

20210830_135349.jpg

20210830_135410.jpg

20210830_135715.jpg

• Like 9

I agree with amiman99, maybe hold on to your collection.  I'm introducing my collection to my 11 year old and my 1 year old will be enjoying it soon.  If it's a financial situation, it's understandable.   You see and read the stories though, about collectors selling and then realizing they miss it and trying to recollect it all over again.  If prices are high now to collect for retro gaming, imagine in about 5 to 10 years.       

Oh and before I forget, that is an awesome Jaguar collection you have.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wanted to say "thank you" for everyone's attention and responses, and the plethora of PM's to ponder.  So far, there has been a fair bit of legit interest, and even a few bona fide offers, but unfortunately nobody local enough to meet me in SC to do a deal, and I can't accept the risks of shipping, even to an honest, reputable buyer.  

And importantly, you all raise a very valid point - the sentiment of selling and regretting.  I've done some thinking on this topic - and it does cause hesitation.  While I don't need to convert my collection into cash, per se, it would certainly provide a nice chunk of change to channel into whatever hobbies my daughter develops as she grows.  

There's also a duality to consider between the fervent, frantic fun of "collecting" versus the self-satisfaction and cool comfort of "owning."  By collecting - I mean the verb - the thrill of finding that minty catbox, or whoa, a sealed pro controller?  Please sir take my money!  You know, the assembling of the collection.  But ultimately...the full Jaguar repertoire is fairly limited, and once every game has been played, and every sealed item sufficiently ogled...what value really remains in simply owning the items? 

For me personally, it seems the biggest value (besides the ego-stroke of receiving all the praise on my collection) is the potential of re-discovering the collection with my daughter in the future.  Maybe the same thrill I had as a kid when I discovered my dad's old baseball card collection, or his coin collection (both of which, turns out, I avidly collect).  In reflection, did my dad's hobbies actually shape my own?  Could simply retaining my Jag collection inspire my daughter to take an interest in retro gaming?

I wish I knew!! 

I do know I really appreciate your comments and flattering feedback.  I feel I'm amongst like-minded folks.  For now, I think I'll hold off on selling, fire up Tempest, and seek the ancient wisdom of Jeff Minter...

Andy

• Like 5

I did the same with my Jag collection yrs ago for a PS3 for my boys to  play Minecraft. Their classmates & school friends were starting to talk about it & I didnt want them to feel left out. The buyer played hesitant so I threw in my SNES & 10 games as incentive. Now the PS3 sits under the basement TV- dusty, lonely & forgotten. But absolutely no regrets, since it was done for my kids.

Sell it. You're a grownup & have decided it's time. I just parted with my Colecovision setup this past weekend- 2 dozen games, all 3 working expansion modules, a CIB 2600,  2 DS Lites my boys have ignored for years.

Also, from here on, life is all about your kid(s) now- & as Flack once said on a podcast, "your kids arent gonna be interested in your old crap."

Screenshot_20211006-014901_Gallery.jpg

Edited by RJ

• 1 month later...