IGNORED

ARM games compatibility and the Colecovison Expansion Module #1

johnnywc

Well, I did some research on AA and found a thread where another Expansion Module #1 user @Chris H. was having the same issue with Zoo Keeper.  Looks like they were able to run other ARM based games so they asked for a replacement from @Albert and it worked. ? :thumbsup:   So, hopefully Al can shed some light on the differences between the carts he sent to Chris H. and that will reveal the issue with the incompatibility. ?

7 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Well, I did some research on AA and found a thread where another Expansion Module #1 user @Chris H. was having the same issue with Zoo Keeper.  Looks like they were able to run other ARM based games so they asked for a replacement from @Albert and it worked. ? :thumbsup:   So, hopefully Al can shed some light on the differences between the carts he sent to Chris H. and that will reveal the issue with the incompatibility. ?

There was no difference between the carts, so I cannot shed any light on the incompatibility issue.  We'd need to invoke @batari for help with that.

..Al

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carlsson said:

Did ZeroPage Homebrew and Omegamatrix use original ColecoVision power supplies or perhaps some aftermarket heavy duty solution? I'm thinking in case the expansion module doesn't get enough power. Unfortunately the ColecoVision has an uncommon power connector, otherwise it should be possible to find and jury-rig a heavy duty supply that does +5V, +12V, -5V to rule that out.

Original power supply.

sml20210907_174849.thumb.jpg.e687e30f6342f3e052199bc8dbda1409.jpgsml20210907_174909.thumb.jpg.5f7bd5c597fba470c2ca6325ca6d648f.jpg

• Like 3

Update from yet more testing...

I made one error in my configuration notes earlier - it's MY unit, not my brother's, that has the 4516 RAM. His unit is bone-stock - no mods.

Otherwise, I connected an old PC power supply that I use on my bench for powering up various boards to my ColecoVision - no change.

You'll note in the image above that the +5 rail is spec'd at .9A, the -5 at .1A, and the +12 at .3A.

My bench power supply provides 22A for the +5 rail, 9.5A for the +12 rail, and .5A for the -5v rail.

For my testing, I only connected the +5, +12, and ground, since the -5 is only used by the original 4116 RAM.

In summary, I don't see any reason to believe it's power-related, and given the other reference thread, does seem to follow certain cartridges.

Based upon the other referenced thread, it sounds like it may be isolated to certain PCB's. I'd be curious to see if wiping a "bad" PCB, and reprogramming with ZK has the same issue persisting. Assuming so, if it's then wiped/reprogrammed with a different AMR-based game, does it show similar issues as ZK, or work without issue? That would help further isolate to these specific PCB's in general, vs. a Zookeeper/specific PCB issue.

Happy to assist with additional testing, and my offer stands to bring my ColecoVision and Expansion Module #1 to Al, along with both of the affected Zookeeper cartridges, if that's helpful.

• Like 1