IGNORED

Vote for the best stamp in Europe!

karri

The Polish one in my opinion is better ?

rys_znaczek.jpg

"Zwierzęta zagrożone wyginięciem" means "endangered animals".

I've read on some polish site that "the theme of this year's philatelic issue issued by European postal administrations is animals facing extinction".

Edited by laoo
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, laoo said:

The Polish one in my opinion is better ?

rys_znaczek.jpg

"Zwierzęta zagrożone wyginięciem" means "endangered animals".

I've read on some polish site that "the theme of this year's philatelic issue issued by European postal administrations is animals facing extinction".

I agree that this is better. A bit sad though with the vanishing lynx.

• Like 1

In Finland they still hunt them afaik (30 permits in 2020). But due to the strongly growing roe deer population there is talks to cease for hunting lynx in order to keep the roe deer population from exploding.

Actually I have noticed more animals around my summer place than ever before. My guess is that when people move to cities the nature takes over.

On 8/31/2021 at 2:53 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Image 1 - LYNX COUPLE = cats = Picture Postage MNH stamp Canada 2016 [p16/01-2lx4/3]

One of the Court Sheriffs maintains a couple of trap lines. He insists that Lynx tastes like chicken, so I've always wanted to try it. I only see them around here in winter, and then only very rarely.

So if Lynx tastes just like chicken why not just east chicken? ?

1 hour ago, BadPricey said:

So if Lynx tastes just like chicken why not just east chicken? ?

Because chickens don’t live in the taiga. They have to be trucked from their factory farms to our town, and you end up paying $27 for a package of chicken breasts (priced yesterday). Whole turkeys are at $62. And that’s if there’s a store in your town. Most people here have to drive 2 to 3 hours for food.

You also don’t want to waste any part of an animal. Those lynx were being trapped for fur, and sure, the scavengers will use the carcasses, but why not eat the meat yourself?

4 hours ago, BadPricey said:

Everything that's wrong with the human race in one sentence. The sooner Covid kills us all the better for the rest of the planet ?

I'm personally ambivalent about fur trapping and hunting, but the issue is complex and shouldn't be reduced to a process of moral absolutism.

One, most fur trapping in my area is done by the region's First Nations inhabitants. If you take that away, you take away their income, and force more people off their ancestral lands and into the city, where it's much more difficult to sustain language, culture, and family ties. 

Two, a lot of hunters regard the land, and the animals who live there, as sacred, and hunting is a very serious endeavour. Consumers may regard furs just as fashion, but that's on them, and not the people who harvest them.

Three, the artificial replacement for that fur is probably going to be thrown out in a few years where it will linger, forever, in some landfill. At least fur's biodegradable. 

• Like 1

Let's release endangered species stamps, that'll fix the problem.

Polish stamp is the better stamp, highlights the situation more accurately.  

I eat meat too but more recently I've been trying a lot of plant based foods.

Just because we've always done something because of culture or tradition doesn't necessarily mean we should continue to do that. 

• 1 month later...