IGNORED

Centipede Recharged (in VCS Store)

justclaws

Announced today! Available from 29th September 2021, and it rocks!

Centipede is BACK! A BRAND NEW entry in the Recharged Series!

Centipede: Recharged is a reimagining of the hit Atari classic and features Atari VCS EXCLUSIVE levels and content! 
Check it out on September 29th for the Atari VCS!

I'm so glad to see this new Recharged series starting to hit the VCS now. ?

Press release here: https://www.gamespress.com/Centipede-Recharged-Fuses-Neon-Nostalgia-September-29

• Like 2

The game will also be released on Steam, and other platforms.
Some people will bemoan it not being exclusive, but I don't own those other "major platforms",
so for me, it is exclusive.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1630960/Centipede_Recharged/

The music is a collaboration as part of a series with Atari, too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today's the day, Tomorrow's the day for this game to release - 29th September.
I'm waiting on the VCS team to wake-up and publish it now. It's not in the store yet. ?

Of course, despite all the talk about Atari being French, the HQ is in New York, USA,
and all the VCS team are in the USA, as are the VCS servers for the store and so on,
although I think the downloads may use a CDN (content distribution network) also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justclaws said:

Today's the day, for this game to release - 29th September.

I'm waiting on the VCS team to wake-up and publish it now. It's not in the store yet. ?

Of course, despite all the talk about Atari being French, the HQ is in New York, USA,
and all the VCS team are in the USA, as are the VCS servers for the store and so on,
although I think the downloads may use a CDN (content distribution network) also.

It's the 28th so you got one more day. 

Edited by Oneinchbiceps
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, justclaws said:

The parent company Atari SA is based at 25 rue Godot de Mauroy 75009, Paris (a small office, I assume). The two main subsidiaries (Atari Inc & Atari Interactive Inc) are based in NYC. I'm not sure exactly where Atari VCS LLC is based (somewhere in the US is all I know). 

About the gameplay video, I really like the power-up that has the player also shooting sideways. That would have been really handy in the original game ?

• Like 2

Just now, bugcatcher88 said:

The parent company Atari SA is based at 25 rue Godot de Mauroy 75009, Paris (a small office, I assume).
The two main subsidiaries (Atari Inc & Atari Interactive Inc) are based in NYC. I'm not sure exactly where Atari VCS LLC is based (somewhere in the US is all I know). 

About the gameplay video, I really like the power-up that has the player also shooting sideways. That would have been really handy in the original game ?

In a recent interview, re: Centipede Recharged, the VCS team and game teams are together in the New York office.
The whole company is only 28 staff though, including the few French staff.

In the podcasts, they talk about there being a lot of power-ups available, and some are a huge help for some challenges!
It looks really exciting, and I can hardly wait for tomorrow now! ? (After all, I already thought tomorrow was today.) :-D 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, justclaws said:

In a recent interview, re: Centipede Recharged, the VCS team and game teams are together in the New York office.
The whole company is only 28 staff though, including the few French staff.

In the podcasts, they talk about there being a lot of power-ups available, and some are a huge help for some challenges!
It looks really exciting, and I can hardly wait for tomorrow now! ? (After all, I already thought tomorrow was today.) :-D 

I know how you feel. This is my most anticipated game this month ?

Tomorrow is going to be a fun day. I plan on getting it on VCS and Steam (for achievements). I also look forward to them adding a chat function to the console.

I wonder if there'll be a power-up that chucks grenades/bombs unto the play field. Just imagine the carnage that'll bring ?

• Like 1

Aww yeah!

Recorded about 15 minutes of raw gameplay of the VCS version that I have uploading to YouTube overnight. Should be publicly visible on YouTube.com/MockduckPlaysGames in a couple of hours. Link won't work until it finishes uploading but will be this: 

Includes a look at the various settings like Color Blind modes, "Immersive Mode", and Co-op both regular and Challenges. Initial impression is very positive, game's looking sweet and kind of a no-brainer at ten bucks if you are into Centipede or like Missile Command: Recharged. Good night!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just took it for a test run on the VCS will get it on other formats later but very impressed with it! I think they’ve done a fantastic job and I could imagine had this only been on the VCS it would easily help sell the system but obviously makes sense to have it across other platforms to maximise sales of the game. I can see me spending countless hours playing this at the weekend I really enjoy the original and still play it quite a lot but I think this tops it to be honest, I’m looking forward to seeing what else is in store with the recharge series.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

It's interesting hearing what you guys think of it on the VCS.  I think it runs so-so on the Switch (the platform I picked it up on) with effects on, but runs really well with the effects turned off.

Very interesting! So far, I didn't feel any need to adjust settings, except to turn the rumble strength down a bit.
(The VCS version also has adjustable rumble on the VCS joysticks, and the lights on the VCS classic controller.)

A mouse is supported in the menus, but it appears it is not supported in-game, right now, so no trackball support.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, justclaws said:

Very interesting! So far, I didn't feel any need to adjust settings, except to turn the rumble strength down a bit.
(The VCS version also has adjustable rumble on the VCS joysticks, and the lights on the VCS classic controller.)

A mouse is supported in the menus, but it appears it is not supported in-game, right now, so no trackball support.

Yeah I tried to get a keyboard and mouse working without luck. Mouse only good for menus and while there is text like "press Space to X" I couldnt get my keyboard to respond in the game at all. Worked fine for other VCS uses though so seems keyboard support isnt yet available on the VCS for this game.