IGNORED

Centipede Recharged (in VCS Store)

justclaws

i'm very disappointed with the centipede main gameplay. (xbox one version)

the powerups make the game way too easy, and the slow spider offers no challenge.

also 1 life, no extras removes the point of getting better.

---------------

that said, i think the challenges should have been the game. either do like millipede, and

have a challenge wave every so often.

or just play all the challenges in a row. that would have been a much better game.

-------------

besides the poor controls with the joystick and pad compared to a mouse or trackball. thats the real problem.

later

If you get the VCS version, you'll get another 10 challenge levels (but I have not got that far yet).

I do agree that there should be more than one life on these games; one life games frustrate me!

I'm hopeful that the VCS version at least will have mouse support in the future with an update,
as I have a nice USB trackball which worked nicely with Missile Command: Recharged on the VCS.

• Like 2

I tell ya, the comments section of the YouTube video I did for this game have brought out some very strong negative comments about the game in addition to people liking it. I have been having a lot of fun with it, and am really happy with how it plays, but there are subjective elements like the graphics and the powerups that seem to be fairly divided in terms of reaction. 

• Like 3

If you get the VCS version, you'll get another 10 challenge levels (but I have not got that far yet).

I do agree that there should be more than one life on these games; one life games frustrate me!

I'm hopeful that the VCS version at least will have mouse support in the future with an update,

as I have a nice USB trackball which worked nicely with Missile Command: Recharged on the VCS.

I’m curious which trackball do you use? I’m currently looking for one to use this same way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I’m hoping to be able to use this old trackball with the game at some point as it works really well on a lot of games. I’ve been using it on Windows 10 with great success and heck it even works on my old Apple Powermac G3 running OS 9.1 for games, not bad for a £5.99 eBay pick up. 

If it's just USB it should work fine!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, justclaws said:

That isn't on the Atari VCS though - so interesting, but it's not really relevant to readers here. ?

there was also questions earlier in the thread about trackball support.

i guess i could have made a new thread in PC games, but instead, i posted the information here, because its an atari game.

you responded to a person about using it also. (I don't know about the vcs, if it has mouse/trackball support).

also, i play on an xbox. should i be posting about centipede recharged over there also?

later

Edited by negative1

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

there was also questions earlier in the thread about trackball support.

i guess i could have made a new thread in PC games, but instead, i posted the information here, because its an atari game.

you responded to a person about using it also. (I don't know about the vcs, if it has mouse/trackball support).

also, i play on an xbox. should i be posting about centipede recharged over there also?

The Atari VCS has both native console-mode games, and can also run Windows and Linux in "PC-Mode".
When people are playing a game on the VCS, via PC-Mode, it's relevant, but this thread is about the
Centipede Recharged game which is available from the VCS store - not a Steam or Xbox mode version.

For Xbox game discussion, yes, use the Xbox forum. This is specifically a forum for VCS console games.
Each version of the game has slightly different features, like the unique extra challenges on the VCS one.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 3:57 AM, negative1 said:

1 life, no extras removes the point of getting better.

That's exactly how I feel after playing the game several times. I finished all Challenge levels in 2 evenings and got a Highscore in Singleplayer Mode around 30000points.... And that's it - I dont feel much motivation to play this version of the game anymore.

Edited by Absalon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought centipede recharged because I erroneously assumed that because Missile Command: Recharged has mouse/trackball support that Centipede, another trackball game, would as well. I can’t even play the game I purchased because I only have a mouse and keyboard at the moment.

shouldn’t it be trivial to add mouse support to it??

Edited by AlecRob

20 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

Atari has stated previously that mouse/trackball support will be forthcoming in another update.

Yes, it will be added, in an update.
The issue is that at the moment, AtariOS itself is affecting behaviour of the mouse in games.
That's why Missile Command: Recharged is also not working well with a mouse/trackball at the moment.

I expect that the system update will occur, enabling the online High-scores, and with the Centipede update.
(I already learnt from a source that Missile Command then works as expected with that change in testing.)

• Like 2

Just as aside, the Steam version got review bombed initially because of the limited control options, but the added mouse support has really turned things around. It really feels like the way the game is meant to be played; well, that or a trackball, obviously.

Props to Adamvision for putting the extra effort in, and I'm sure it'll be worth the wait when it makes it to VCS.

• Like 1

any word on when the VCS version update is coming? I’m dying to play centipede recharged… i have my VCS set up at a desk as primarily a windows PC… i dont even own a xbox style controller.. heck spending 10 USD on the game itself felt like a stretch to me… the dollar aint worth what it used to be ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 2:19 AM, AlecRob said:

any word on when the VCS version update is coming? I’m dying to play centipede recharged… i have my VCS set up at a desk as primarily a windows PC… i dont even own a xbox style controller.. heck spending 10 USD on the game itself felt like a stretch to me… the dollar aint worth what it used to be ?

If you buy it now it is 33% off. I did.... and it is indeed GREAT!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eightbit said:

Played this quite extensively tonight. I had a really good run and scored around 18000 points and for a moment thought I was the "boss". Yeah, not quite. There are people scoring in the 100K range. Damn...must practice more I guess!

Well done! I hope the online score tables update is enabled soon too.
Then it will also be interesting to see how our scores change on the VCS, using a mouse or trackball.

• 4 months later...