IGNORED

Atari Recharged Series (Discussion)

justclaws

Now that it's know there's an Atari "Recharged" series coming, what do you hope for?
Atari has now started a new series of vlog interviews about the Atari Recharged series.

Atari Recharged - website just for Centipede Recharged so far.

1. Missile Command Recharged
2. Centipede Recharged
3. TBA... (this autumn) ?
3. Asteroids Recharged
4. Black Widow Recharged
5. Breakout Recharged

The music for the first series is here.
https://meganmcduffee.bandcamp.com/album/atari-recharged-original-video-game-soundtrack

• Like 1

And now for a real reply:

3.  Millipede (this was my favorite on the 8 bit computers as it was a little more challenging than Centipede)

4.  Combat (this one can go in so many directions as the title of the game is very generic)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

And now for a real reply:

3.  Millipede (this was my favorite on the 8 bit computers as it was a little more challenging than Centipede)

4.  Combat (this one can go in so many directions as the title of the game is very generic)

Combat for sure. So much potential there for something like Battlezone meets Metal Slug.

Mine:

5. Crystal Castles

6. Checkered Flag

7. Yar's Revenge (Imagine a POV scrolling 3D shooter through barriers)

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Atarick said:

Combat for sure. So much potential there for something like Battlezone meets Metal Slug.

Mine:

5. Crystal Castles

6. Checkered Flag

7. Yar's Revenge (Imagine a POV scrolling 3D shooter through barriers)

Just out of curiosity, would Checkered Flag need a steering patch to make it work better??

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

There would be so many possibilities but I suppose there aren't too many that would be popular enough. But here are some Atari properties that I think would be great:

• Gravitar
  • Major Havoc
  • Club Drive (I think the idea is fun and it could possibly be executed well).
  • Electrocop
  • Iron Solder
  • Todd's Adventures in Slime World
  • Battlemorph

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stirrell said:

If I had to predict what games would be next for Recharged based on a neon, vector fast-paced gameplay, I would guess Asteroids and Breakout. Black Widow would lend itself to this style of remake but it is relatively obscure, I think.

Yes, I think an Asteroids Recharged makes sense, and yes, the classic Breakout, Recharged, would work.
I could also well imagine Warlords and Combat coming, and maybe Yars Revenge.

The games Atari licenced also to Intellivision to create Amico versions may all be possibilities I think.
"Pong, Asteroids, Centipede, Tempest, Adventure, Missile Command, Yar's Revenge, Lunar Lander, Night Driver, Sky Diver, and Warlords."

The fact that Centipede Recharged is coming next, at least demonstrates to the people who thought
that Atari had sold their games to Intellivision were wrong. Atari licensed some games to Intellivision
to produce exclusive versions for the Amico. They didn't license their games to be Amico exclusives!
Subtle difference, but I've seen quite a few people who were confused by that.

I don't see a Pong Recharged coming, because Pong Quest "RPG" should be coming to the VCS, too.
Also not Tempest, because; Tempest 4000.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Asteroids or Breakout. However, I had mentioned Black Widow not being well known enough but I did notice Atari mentioned owning it in one of their press releases so who knows? One could argue Food Fight is pretty obscure too and as we know they are revisiting that.

I think the suggestion to make a survival horror based on Haunted House would be cool. That’s a really good idea.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stirrell said:

I agree with Asteroids or Breakout. However, I had mentioned Black Widow not being well known enough but I did notice Atari mentioned owning it in one of their press releases so who knows? One could argue Food Fight is pretty obscure too and as we know they are revisiting that.

I think the suggestion to make a survival horror based on Haunted House would be cool. That’s a really good idea.

I too think Black Widow has potential, as does a Haunted House. Probably hard to not make it a generic third person survival horror, which I personally would not at all want to play. But if they could figure it out, maybe asynchronous multiplayer gaming like a Mystery Mansion or something...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sn8k said:

The answer is damn clear what the next game should have been..... but they no longer own it...... 

BattleZone

I'd settle for Ninja Golf... but they sold that too.

Red Baron, Major Havoc, or Liberator would all be sick 

Last I checked, Atari retained 'Ninja Golf'. During Atari's 2013 bankruptcy, only four Atari IP were sold. The most notable was Battlezone being sold to Rebellion. I remember reading a month or two ago that Atari was looking into discontinuing or selling the publishing rights to several mobile titles, one of them being the new Ninja Golf. They didn't mention they were selling the IP in its entirety (they better not, I don't want to see any more classic Atari IP split from the bunch). 

The more I think about it....

A Haunted House game would kick total ass.

First person survival horror. All you get is a candle to see and the only option is run.

The candle helps find the items around a dark house that you need to use in a final battle and escape the house.

Should be like Resident Evil 7 or Paranormal Activity, but no guns.... you can only run. And you are being stalked around the house by various things. 

I think this definitely fits the idea of the "premium games" they are trying to do. I personally don't think anything can ever reach the level of Resident Evil 7 or The Excorcist.....

But would love it if Atari somehow pulled it off.

I would also like to see Alien Vs Predator get released on the store. That is too big of a game to just let rot on your worst performing console.

Then I would get a new modern FPs with the license going....3  campaigns + multiplayer....

I really liked the Atari Matrix games.... would be cool to get remasters of the 2 old games and a brand new one for the new movie. But I dont think Atari is down with doing big releases like that still.

Edited by sn8k
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, zzip said:

I'd rather see an Adventure remake with modern graphics than Swordquest.

I could never get into Adventure. I hate the whole pick up thing... drop off here.. pick up sword, shittily ram it into dragon to kill it... drop sword... get other item...

It just felt lazy in it's design to me. I feel it is one of the worst games in the official Atari catalog. Just my oppinion. I know there are alot of people that like it. The one that is sold here on 5200 looks mildly intriguing with the updated graphics..... but I just can't get behind that gameplay for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I would love to see a Star Raiders game.  It is Atari's biggest classic title that they still own the rights to and they are sitting it and doing nothing with it.  That as an exclusive could be the killer app for the Atari VCS.

Make me a nice modern Star Raiders game that doesn't suck and I will not be able to put down the controller nor want to turn off my Atari VCS.  They should also have a mode where you can play as the Krylons for the campaign.  Also a nice multi play death match match mode would be really cool.

Hell, if I was Atari, I would pay Doug Neubauer a very handsome price to be involved in such a project.  Not sure if he codes modern games, but attaching him to it as a creative consultant alone would be a huge PR win for Atari and great as promotion for the Atari VCS.

• Like 6