Jump to content
justclaws

Atari Recharged Series (Discussion)

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, adamchevy said:

Played some Centipede Recharged on the Series S tonight. It was great both single and co-op.

The VCS version apparently has an extra 10 challenge levels, if you get it for your VCS too. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, tripled79 said:

Does Atari own PaperBoy? What about Rampart or Pit-Fighter?

Those were all developed post-split Atari at Atari Games, the coin-op company. So I suspect those rights are owned by Time Warner or whoever owns the company that Atari Games was merged into. Those titles had to be licensed by Atari Corp for the Lynx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paperboy is owned by WB Games. I'd love to see them release their Midway Arcade Origins for modern consoles, as it hasn't seen the light of day that I am aware of since the PS3/360 era.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Paperboy is owned by WB Games. I'd love to see them release their Midway Arcade Origins for modern consoles, as it hasn't seen the light of day that I am aware of since the PS3/360 era.

It was on the digital release of Williams arcade for the xbox one, and it just came out on the midway legacy arcade 1up cabinet.

 

later

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2021 at 8:51 PM, stirrell said:

There would be so many possibilities but I suppose there aren't too many that would be popular enough. But here are some Atari properties that I think would be great:

  • Gravitar
  • Major Havoc
  • Club Drive (I think the idea is fun and it could possibly be executed well).
  • Electrocop
  • Iron Solder
  • Todd's Adventures in Slime World
  • Battlemorph

 

I loved Club Drive, even though it had janky controls at times and the framerate wasn't great, it was fairly unique at the time, and still aren't many games like it.  A 'Recharged' version would rock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a link to the Atari Games division page which includes the current (2021) IP list for Atari. I think many would be surprised by the IP list. In particular, how few Lynx and Jaguar titles appear on the list. Of course, as has been noted, the Atari Games arcade titles from 1984 to their buyout by Midway are mostly owned by WB.

 

https://www.atari.com/atari-games/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Here's a link to the Atari Games division page which includes the current (2021) IP list for Atari. I think many would be surprised by the IP list. In particular, how few Lynx and Jaguar titles appear on the list. Of course, as has been noted, the Atari Games arcade titles from 1984 to their buyout by Midway are mostly owned by WB.

 

https://www.atari.com/atari-games/

Very interesting. Would some of the rights have gone back to whomever created the title for Atari? Would whomever owns the remains of Epyx have picked up some of those Lynx properties? I guess I would be surprised that anyone would pick up the rights to something like Turbo Sub, Kung Food or Awesome Golf. Or would some of those move to new homes because they were bundled up with more attractive titles? Obviously I know nothing about how the legal world of IPs works. It just seems strange that some of these titles would have any interest in them.

 

Then again, I don’t understand why so much IP gets bought up just to be shelved and not have anything done with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Here's a link to the Atari Games division page which includes the current (2021) IP list for Atari. I think many would be surprised by the IP list. In particular, how few Lynx and Jaguar titles appear on the list. Of course, as has been noted, the Atari Games arcade titles from 1984 to their buyout by Midway are mostly owned by WB.

 

https://www.atari.com/atari-games/

One of the reasons why Atari has their IP listed like that is for potential buyers (when Fred was running the show).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stirrell said:

Very interesting. Would some of the rights have gone back to whomever created the title for Atari? Would whomever owns the remains of Epyx have picked up some of those Lynx properties? I guess I would be surprised that anyone would pick up the rights to something like Turbo Sub, Kung Food or Awesome Golf. Or would some of those move to new homes because they were bundled up with more attractive titles? Obviously I know nothing about how the legal world of IPs works. It just seems strange that some of these titles would have any interest in them.

 

Then again, I don’t understand why so much IP gets bought up just to be shelved and not have anything done with them.

Sometimes the IP is kept to the developers.  Most of the Jag games were likely only published by Atari but never really 'owned' by them.  Otherwise something like Neverwinter Nights and a bunch of other D&D games would be owned by them. 

Ha, the publishers of Dungeons & Dragons games have changed hands so many times at this point... granted I want to say that Atari was the publisher in the same timeframe that Hasbro owned them both?  Then Hasbro decided they don't want to make video games...

 

Anyhow, yeah IP is a strange thing, and for sure, as Nall3k said, they are listing their IP that way because of all the auctions they have had... one of which sold Battlezone off to Rebellion, who made the new VR supported game (and it is AWESOME!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, the publishers of Dungeons & Dragons games have changed hands so many times at this point... granted I want to say that Atari was the publisher in the same timeframe that Hasbro owned them both?  Then Hasbro decided they don't want to make video games...

I think the Atari-published Neverwinter Nights came out in the Infrogrames era?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zzip said:

I think the Atari-published Neverwinter Nights came out in the Infrogrames era?

Maybe?  I am just happy that Beamdog is enhancing it now.  Would be nice if they could eventually get NWN2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Here's a link to the Atari Games division page which includes the current (2021) IP list for Atari. I think many would be surprised by the IP list. In particular, how few Lynx and Jaguar titles appear on the list. Of course, as has been noted, the Atari Games arcade titles from 1984 to their buyout by Midway are mostly owned by WB.

 

https://www.atari.com/atari-games/

They may not be listing everything they own. Prior to selling off 'Drakkhen', 'Glover' and 'V-Rally' (and many others in recent years) Atari never listed them in their IP catalog. I save every IP catalog they publish going back to 2015 (prior to selling off the aforementioned games) and none of them were ever listed. 

 

AFAIK, only four classic Atari IPs were sold and that was during the 2013 bankruptcy: Battlezone, Math Gran Prix, Robo-Squash, and Warbirds. The latter two went to Tommo (Link). Page 74 has the IP list.

 

20 hours ago, Nall3k said:

One of the reasons why Atari has their IP listed like that is for potential buyers (when Fred was running the show).

I'm glad that man is no longer running the company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bugcatcher88 said:

They may not be listing everything they own. Prior to selling off 'Drakkhen'

I should try beating Drakkhen.  That is the game I think of when I think of Infrogrames.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2021 at 1:35 PM, sn8k said:

The answer is damn clear what the next game should have been..... but they no longer own it...... 

 

BattleZone

 

I'd settle for Ninja Golf... but they sold that too.

 

Red Baron, Major Havoc, or Liberator would all be sick 

Battlezone would be a great pick for sure. 

 

Regarding Ninja Golf, I don't think it would really work with the aesthetic / visuals the Recharged series seems to be going for imo.  Still, a sequel to the game would be great to see.

 

Red Baron, Major Havoc, or Liberator are good choices.  I agree with you.

 

Another great one that someone already listed would be Lunar Lander as well as Warlords

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hwlngmad said:

Lunar Lander as well as Warlords

Lunar lander wouldn't work, there aren't any enemies.


Warlords wouldn't work well either. Since powerups would unbalance the gameplay.

The AI is super hard already. They would have dumb it down to change it.

 

later

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Lunar lander wouldn't work, there aren't any enemies.


Warlords wouldn't work well either. Since powerups would unbalance the gameplay.

The AI is super hard already. They would have dumb it down to change it.

 

later

-1

Perhaps.  It really is a matter of looking at existing Atari properties and what they could do in the Recharged line as there really isn't a ton to choose from.  Still, I look forward to seeing how far they take things as the games thus far do seem to be pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hwlngmad said:

Perhaps.  It really is a matter of looking at existing Atari properties and what they could do in the Recharged line as there really isn't a ton to choose from.  Still, I look forward to seeing how far they take things as the games thus far do seem to be pretty good.

A lot of the old games in their IP catalog are generic-  "Video Pinball", "Maze Craze", "Fun with Numbers", etc.

 

But then there are things like Crystal Castles, which as far as I can tell has never had a sequel or reimagining.   That might be something for them to look into.   Not having other games starring Bentley Bear was a huge missed opportunity in a world soon dominated by system mascots like Mario and Sonic.

 

I was also surprised to see their IP list includes Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back?    So how is it Amico is getting a new Miner 2049er game but VCS isn't?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zzip said:

But then there are things like Crystal Castles, which as far as I can tell has never had a sequel or reimagining.

Not officially but there is a home brew for the 7800:

 

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1198

 

that does not in any way take away from your point, of course. Atari really should have developed more games featuring Bentley Bear. Then again, I guess when you come up with a scrapyard owner named Louis, well, then you know you’ve struck gold and forget any other past characters.

 

I would really like to see Atari add some Atari Age home brews in the store. I am interested to see what they do when they come out with whatever they have planned for emulation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zzip said:

A lot of the old games in their IP catalog are generic-  "Video Pinball", "Maze Craze", "Fun with Numbers", etc.

 

But then there are things like Crystal Castles, which as far as I can tell has never had a sequel or reimagining.   That might be something for them to look into.   Not having other games starring Bentley Bear was a huge missed opportunity in a world soon dominated by system mascots like Mario and Sonic.

 

I was also surprised to see their IP list includes Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back?    So how is it Amico is getting a new Miner 2049er game but VCS isn't?

I could really see a Video Pinball: Recharged with a vastly updated table with neon visuals.  I think that could be winner imo.

 

Also, a new edition in the Bounty Bob series does make sense and I am sure would sell some if made available everywhere other than a (relatively) niche (upcoming) console.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zzip said:

 

I was also surprised to see their IP list includes Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back?    So how is it Amico is getting a new Miner 2049er game but VCS isn't?

They seem to have updated their IP catalogue again this month. The one I saved from this passed Spring doesn't have Miner 2049er listed. Same with Bounty Bob.

I wonder which company Infogrames absorbed to gain ownership of those two IPs. Or maybe they are recent acquisitions 🤔

 

If they owned those two all this time, I wonder why they weren't included in the third Atari Flashback volume, which included 5200 games.

Edited by bugcatcher88
Spring, not Summer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

I could really see a Video Pinball: Recharged with a vastly updated table with neon visuals.  I think that could be winner imo.

Maybe, but I've seen so many pinball videogames over the years, that I wonder how it could stand out.    The Neon visuals might be a start.   Maybe a "construction set" mode too?

 

7 minutes ago, bugcatcher88 said:

The one I saved from this passed Summer doesn't have Miner 2049er listed. Same with Bounty Bob.

I wonder which company Infogrames absorbed to gain ownership of those two IPs. Or maybe they are recent acquisitions

IDK either.   I remember Big Five Software would pop up from time to time in the internet age and do reissues of the game.   Maybe they sold the IP directly to Atari recently?   I don't remember it passing to any other owners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Perhaps.  It really is a matter of looking at existing Atari properties and what they could do in the Recharged line as there really isn't a ton to choose from.  Still, I look forward to seeing how far they take things as the games thus far do seem to be pretty good.

 

there are a ton of games to choose from as mentioned in the previous IP listings.

 

as long as they stick to the major well known ones, and some lesser ones (like black widow), thats plenty.

 

 

later

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...