justclaws

Atari Recharged Series (Discussion)

Jason Polansky recently posted the official art for Breakout: Recharged on Twitter. I hope this means the game is close to completion.

88A27C4D-01E6-4DFF-AA60-ECDC452601F9.thumb.jpeg.87595418fda43efec5053609b5727e3f.jpeg

• Like 4

OEB Pete posted a video which discusses the interview with Wade Rosen, and Recharged discussion.

The interview is listed in the interviews thread, here.

You know, I realize Atari doesn’t own the IP to these titles, but wouldn’t a Berzerk: Recharged and/or Frenzy:Recharged be amazing with the new artstyle?

1 hour ago, ColecoGamer said:

You know, I realize Atari doesn’t own the IP to these titles, but wouldn’t a Berzerk: Recharged and/or Frenzy:Recharged be amazing with the new artstyle?

Who owns those Stern arcade games? Is it the current company, Stern Pinball Inc?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Yes, I have totally thought through how a great Beserk: Recharged could be. 

• Like 2

Oh, and THIS IS THE WEEK! I am really excited for this one; who'd have thought that we might get a legit great Breakout game in 2022? All it needs to do is be as good as the others. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Yes, I have totally thought through how a great Beserk: Recharged could be. 

It would be awesome. Bonus if they could get a notable actor with a great voice to do the commands like "Intruder Alert."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

Oh, and THIS IS THE WEEK! I am really excited for this one; who'd have thought that we might get a legit great Breakout game in 2022? All it needs to do is be as good as the others. 

I know! It’s exciting to think about! Breakout: Recharged launches on the 10th, right?

On 2/7/2022 at 8:06 AM, swlovinist said:

My review of Breakout Recharged is up

Looks very good.  I love the Arkanoid elements added in and the continued use of the neon motif.  Very much looking forward to see what other Recharged games Atari has in store.  Definitely glad to see them on a (somewhat) right track.

• Like 1

I might have mentioned this earlier in this thread, but what I would love to see from Atari for the VCS:

Berzerk/Frenzy Recharged

Major Havoc Recharged

Crystal Castles Recharged

Gauntlet Recharged 

Toobin’ Recharged

Edit: I’d say Tempest, but we’re supposed to get that sooner or later.

Edited by ColecoGamer

7 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

I might have mentioned this earlier in this thread, but what I would love to see from Atari for the VCS:

Berzerk/Frenzy Recharged

Major Havoc Recharged

Gauntlet Recharged 

Toobin’ Recharged

Great list, though I'd far prefer a full new reboot of Crystal Castles and Berzerk optimized for the VCS vice the Recharged treatment, something akin to what they're doing with Food Fight or Pong Quest.

8 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Berzerk/Frenzy Recharged

Major Havoc Recharged

Gauntlet Recharged 

Toobin’ Recharged

Afaik, Atari only owns the license to Crystal Castles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Afaik, Atari only owns the license to Crystal Castles.

They do still own Major Havoc as well

• Like 3

The tragedy is Atari's IP catalogue was hollowed out by previous management. It's amazing how they went from Ghostbusters, Test Drive, Alone in the Dark, Riddick, Minimum, Neverwinter Nights, etc... to what we see now.

They need to focus on creating new IP now.

• Sad 2

It would have to be the game I've played constantly since the early 80's above all else.

STAR RAIDERS

No online stuff.  No 3D fancy graphics.  Just a re-implementation of the same game with smooth glowing graphics.
The thing I loved about it as a kid was the illusion it gave of turning my Atari into a targeting and navigation computer, no fake cockpit or anything.  I'd want to keep it like that, not like any of the 'sequel' games since.

• Like 2

Just putting it here that we have official word of four next Recharged games and official word that at least some of them will come from the consoles rather than arcades: 

https://www.gamersheroes.com/features/an-interview-with-atari-ceo-wade-rosen/

"You are going to see some stylistic changes as we start to tackle titles that were first released on console instead of in an arcade cabinet. "

I'm going to say: Yars' Revenge and - maybe - Night Driver.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Just putting it here that we have official word of four next Recharged games and official word that at least some of them will come from the consoles rather than arcades: 

https://www.gamersheroes.com/features/an-interview-with-atari-ceo-wade-rosen/

"You are going to see some stylistic changes as we start to tackle titles that were first released on console instead of in an arcade cabinet. "

I'm going to say: Yars' Revenge and - maybe - Night Driver.

i wonder if they will do combat

or if theres any chance for 3rd party titles:

megamania

river raid

later

3 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Night Driver.

A recharged Night Driver would be cool and it could take advantage of the Classic controller as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, negative1 said:

i wonder if they will do combat

or if theres any chance for 3rd party titles:

megamania

river raid

later

The main thing I see about Combat is that it doesn't have a linear goal, really, and is at its core a two-player-only game. They'd have to come up with a new design for the kind of Recharged game that fits the series, and in some ways that seems to already be being done by Tony Barnes' Chaos Chassis (if it ever comes to the VCS). A Battlezone makes more sense, but of course Atari no longer owns that IP.