IGNORED

TI99/4A Nano PEB - should I get one?

stevelanc

Hi folks

I am toying with the idea of getting one of these. I have a Grom 99 already, but quite like the sound of the Nano PEB which I've seen for sale on Ebay.

Are they a worthwhile purchase and easy to use? Also, my 99 already has 32k built in it, so will it effectively make it a 64k machine?

Is there a repository anywhere for downloading the disk images?

Thanks in advance

Steve

They provide a simple disk device, emulating up to 3 400k floppy drives at a time (and as many images as will fit on the card). There are some minor compatibility issues with a very small number of programs as they change the free VDP space by 6 bytes.

The 32k is a bigger issue - it can't be disabled and sits at the normal address space (memory expansions on the TI don't stack), meaning both your internal and the external 32k will be active at the same time.

In fairness, I ran my console that way a few times, but it's considered a practice with risk of damage to the machine, and I never did it long term.

Any normal sector-based disk image will work with it, which is everything except the PC99-specific images, so the usual candidates for software (here, whtech).

• Like 2

I have a Nanopeb, and consider it worth the money.

But then again, i have two TI systems.

One is loaded with a 1mb SAMS memory+TIPI and a FinalGrom99.

The other is just the main TI console, a TI Extended Basic cartridge, and a Nanopeb to save/load files.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

Well, I bought one awhile back and loved it, then it died, well I think the little memory controller on the board died because xb would not recognize the extended memory.

So, I bought another and it didn't work out the box, so I was able to get a replacement, and it worked great for my needs, then decided to just get a tipi and get rid of the nano because I couldn't load new files to it easily. I haven't changed my mind and wouldn't go back to one since tipi. 

• Like 1

My humble opinion

Nano PB is a closed-end upgrade there is no further upgrades capable as it closes off the bus it has a built-in 32k that cannot be upgraded or disabled without damaging the device and the floppy drive interface is in my opinion a pain in the butt. You have to remember which disk number of one through 1400 is the one that you want and I really have a hard time remembering the disc number 37 is the infocom games so I end up searching through all the disks every time I need something.

Pro: cheaper sector access cons: clunky closed and not reliable hw

The sidecar TIPI allows you to choose which memory expansion you want either the 32k or the 1 MB Sams and provides a bus for future expansion passed it in fact you could just make a small adapter and plug in a perepheral expansion box to the 44 pin header. TIPI and is a hard drive equivalent with the ability to map dsk drives to any folder on the hard drive. TIPI gives you a network interface so that way you can copy files easily to your ti without having to go unplug something copy cables any of that junk. Also TIPI gives you the ability to do printer emulation to output a PDF file.

A lot of people are buying the 32k combo TIPI board cuz it is cheaper and then disabling that 32k on board and adding a Sam's later when they want to run bigger software so there's an upgrade path. The combo board also provides a standard sidecar card edge connection on its outside giving you further expansion capabilities

Pros: hard drive, network, expansion, printing, mouse future, better hw con: cost more no sector access

Also I have tipis in stock and I don't have any nanos right now.. if your heart is set on one I can look around and see if I can find one also if anybody has a nano or cf7 they want to trade in towards a TIPI I'm willing to do that for reasonable trade in value

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

12 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

My humble opinion

Nano PB is a closed-end upgrade there is no further upgrades capable as it closes off the bus it has a built-in 32k that cannot be upgraded or disabled without damaging the device and the floppy drive interface is in my opinion a pain in the butt. You have to remember which disk number of one through 1400 is the one that you want and I really have a hard time remembering the disc number 37 is the infocom games so I end up searching through all the disks every time I need something.

Pro: cheaper sector access cons: clunky closed and not reliable hw

The sidecar TIPI allows you to choose which memory expansion you want either the 32k or the 1 MB Sams and provides a bus for future expansion passed it in fact you could just make a small adapter and plug in a perepheral expansion box to the 44 pin header. TIPI and is a hard drive equivalent with the ability to map dsk drives to any folder on the hard drive. TIPI gives you a network interface so that way you can copy files easily to your ti without having to go unplug something copy cables any of that junk. Also TIPI gives you the ability to do printer emulation to output a PDF file.

A lot of people are buying the 32k combo TIPI board cuz it is cheaper and then disabling that 32k on board and adding a Sam's later when they want to run bigger software so there's an upgrade path. The combo board also provides a standard sidecar card edge connection on its outside giving you further expansion capabilities

Pros: hard drive, network, expansion, printing, mouse future, better hw con: cost more no sector access

Also I have tipis in stock and I don't have any nanos right now.. if your heart is set on one I can look around and see if I can find one also if anybody has a nano or cf7 they want to trade in towards a TIPI I'm willing to do that for reasonable trade in value

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice folks. Is a CF7+ a more viable option for what I want to do? Does anybody out there have one they want to sell?