IGNORED

Atari 2600 4 switches SECAM - unknown PCB ?

student

Hi guys,

I got this 2600 "woody" 4 switches SECAM (2600 S) that seems to be in quite bad conditions anyway there seems to be a video signal at 589MHz (even if black screen - need to do more tests).

I was not able to find the specific "REV4" with this number printed on it: C016573; also year printed on the PCB is 1980.

Other infos:
MOS - C0 10750
8109 - C010745-03

AMI 8104TX - C010444D-01 - C04075 KOREA (this seems to be an undocumented one)

ALL the chips are socketed (like a dev-board).

Is this console in some way "rare" ?

Please forgive me if those are already known infos !

20210830_230603.jpg

20210830_232314.jpg

20210830_232323.jpg

Edited by student

On the back I have:

(need to find the bottom label picture)

It was probably found lost inside a garage (it was REALLY dirty when I get it with insects cocoons inside!) but all was clean under the shield. It was missing a screw from the bottom but the shield seemed to be never-opened. I think it is all factory-made.

The unit is using an NTSC TIA but it is surely broken; also the 6532 seems to be out of order (tested on another working 2600 PAL: the console gives weird oblique screen lines); I just ordered some 6532 but I cannot find a new TIA NTSC, if someone has a spare one please contact me, I would like to try to revive this board !

Edited by student

Here they are the labels and the shielded bottom.

Image1.png

20210830_230644.jpg

The modulator receives just 3 wires... video/audio/gnd ? Video in what format ? Composite ? Can I convert it to support a PAL TIA if I cannot find a NTSC one ? The NTSC seems to have just a BLK pin missing in the PAL TIA...

Edited by student

Hello

my few cents thoughts :

As you must have noticed, it's a french Atari 2600 with its annoying SECAM format.

I modded one of mine with etim's RGB board and i can remember that we (etim and i) spent a lot of time exchanging by mail in order to have it working. The SECAM has some slight differences with the PAL one.

I'm sorry i can't help more, i just wanted to warn you that the informations you'll find for the PAL A2600 won't be 100% correct for the SECAM.

9 hours ago, MockyLock said:

Hello

my few cents thoughts :

As you must have noticed, it's a french Atari 2600 with its annoying SECAM format.

I modded one of mine with etim's RGB board and i can remember that we (etim and i) spent a lot of time exchanging by mail in order to have it working. The SECAM has some slight differences with the PAL one.

I'm sorry i can't help more, i just wanted to warn you that the informations you'll find for the PAL A2600 won't be 100% correct for the SECAM.

Yeah, thank you, I read about that so I am looking for a working ntsc TIA to replace the broken one.

Edited by student

• 3 weeks later...

Problem found: sram pin detective - now i can see a b/w signal directly from the tia pin and i can hear audio from the tia audio pin... no way to see a signal (audio or video) from rf modulator... is there a hardware mod/circuit explaining how to get a composite/rgb signal directly from tia pins ?

You say that system used the NTSC TIA, right?  If so, you can add a resistor network that matches the NTSC Ataris coming from the TIA (see the schematic), and then any of the standard mods would work.  Look for what attaches to the LUM outputs and the COLOR output.  They will all converge.  You will need all the components in that convergence.  It would be best to use a separate board to mount them on though.

Edited by ChildOfCv

The 3 together give you 8 shades of whatever the current color is, rather than on/off.  LUM2 represents a brightness of 4 or 0.  LUM1 represents 2 or 0.  LUM0 represents 1 or 0.  Adding the on/off values at any time will give you a range of values between 0 and 7.  But to do that correctly, you need the resistor ladder in the schematic to mix the outputs.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have exactly the same SECAM console with NTSC TIA.

The tuned picture was distorted and unable to properly sync even on a old CRT that supports secam so I started tinkering.

I built this mod, enabled color mode by lifting pin 21 of IO chip, connected TIA pin 10 color adjust to a 500kohm trimmer.

Picture is nice and clean except colors that are fading from red on the left side to the blue on the right side.

I ordered the proper NTSC crystal.

@student  did you get a properly working color output without changing the crystal?