IGNORED

SIO Breakout Board with FujiNet Connectors

mozzwald

This is the latest SIO Breakout Board I've designed with FujiNet style connectors. I've posted in some other threads about it but figured I should put it here in it's own thread. The idea came originally during development of FujiNet when we needed to hookup a logic analyzer to watch the signals. After many suggestions and several versions later, this is what I've come up with. It uses 3D printed FujiNet style connectors and thus the board is on a vertical plane with a 3D printed case to hold it all together. There is a 13 pin 2.54mm header on the top for external connection to your equipment of choice. Optionally, there are pads for a Through Hole and/or SMD 0805 capacitor connected to the 5V power rail and ground. This design uses new longer / thicker receptacle pins which fit SIO plugs better than the currently available FujiNet hardware (these pins will be in the next FujiNet hardware release too).

The board can be assembled in two ways:

• Plug and Receptacle: plug for connecting to any SIO receptacle and a receptacle for connecting your SIO cable
  • Dual Receptacle: requires use of 2 SIO cables for pass through. Also doubles as a cable extender / coupler

Assembled board rear side with capacitors. Left is Dual Receptacle with SMD cap, right is Plug & Receptacle with Thru Hole cap.

SIO_Breakout_v2.2_Board_Both_Rear.thumb.jpg.327d0ec0b54fbec70dcc618751abdc03.jpg

Assembled board front side. Left is Dual Receptacle, right is Plug & Receptacle.

SIO_Breakout_v2.2_Board_Both_Front.thumb.jpg.bfc78d795645ae58ba2a2725706dbf5b.jpg

Assembled case front side. Left is Dual Receptacle, right is Plug & Receptacle.

SIO_Breakout_v2.2_Case_Both_Front.thumb.jpg.aeef3cdf7f43db5503790b56a13b5b85.jpg

Assembled case rear side. Left is Dual Receptacle, right is Plug & Receptacle.

SIO_Breakout_v2.2_Case_Both_Rear.thumb.jpg.5d310fc0651afb24b2fde10fd1c35c30.jpg

Since this a derivative work of the FujiNet connector design I will be following the open-source hardware license and releasing all design files at some point in the near future. I would like feedback from users before that happens so any changes or fixes can be made first. They will be put up on the FujiNet github when released.

I will be attending VCFMW 2021 this year (as long as covid doesn't crash the party) and will have one of each with me if anyone wants to see them. I'll be the tall dude with long hair wearing a FujiNet T-Shirt ;) Five boards are up for sale on fujinet.online and I added a free pickup at VCFMW shipping for all items if you will be there.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

I was reminded today that I designed a pcb earlier this year which was to be a 4 port SIO hub with optional microusb power input. I whipped up a quick case design just to check the fit and it seems like it would work. Imagine a SIO plug pigtail on the left side. It's a very dumb device that only has diodes to prevent back powering the Atari and capacitors. Is this something people want? If not, I'll scrap the idea cuz I really don't need it myself.

1671712359_Screenshotfrom2021-04-2821-06-01.thumb.png.8543664226088020d0e11e6a089d74a2.png

2119426004_Screenshotfrom2021-12-1519-59-01.png.42b51fd9d222860ab4152daf5a98a970.png

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mathy said:

How would this be different from Lotharek's SIO Splitter?

It's a 'dumb' hub with no signal buffering and uses the FujiNet SIO receptacle design. The purpose is the same. This would have a pigtail with SIO plug that connects to the Atari and 4 receptacles. It would (hopefully) look more like a real Atari peripheral ;) 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mozzwald said:

I was reminded today that I designed a pcb earlier this year which was to be a 4 port SIO hub with optional microusb power input. I whipped up a quick case design just to check the fit and it seems like it would work. Imagine a SIO plug pigtail on the left side. It's a very dumb device that only has diodes to prevent back powering the Atari and capacitors. Is this something people want? If not, I'll scrap the idea cuz I really don't need it myself.

1671712359_Screenshotfrom2021-04-2821-06-01.thumb.png.8543664226088020d0e11e6a089d74a2.png

2119426004_Screenshotfrom2021-12-1519-59-01.png.42b51fd9d222860ab4152daf5a98a970.png

this is a good idea I think, just completely severe the 5v coming from the computer, it is never a good idea to have 2 voltage sources bucking each other.

Ken

make sure to use thick enough traces, I have a few pcb that are too thin and don't work well, eci to pbi boards of today seem to have crossover and current issues due to traces being to thin and their placement

The same can happen in any pcb and the sio chain also with resistance and impedance issues

On 12/15/2021 at 9:16 PM, mozzwald said:

I like the idea. Maybe provide three choices for color to cover all three versions (400/800, XL & XE)? Definitely has the look of "what if Atari released a SIO hub". I'd be all in for one!

• Like 1

That's really neat looking mozz, any chance to open source the board for those that like to built it our selfs?

I have the lotharek one, but hide it in the back since it doesn't blend in with the atari stuff like this one does. I guess I could 3d print a more fitting case for that one as well.

Edited by Fierodoug5
Typo
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:36 PM, Fierodoug5 said:

That's really neat looking mozz, any chance to open source the board for those that like to built it our selfs?

I have the lotharek one, but hide it in the back since it doesn't blend in with the atari stuff like this one does. I guess I could 3d print a more fitting case for that one as well.

If I ever complete it, yes :D 

which reminds me that I need to release the breakout board files

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...