Lusorius

Beauty and the Beast - which Amico games do you find nice and which ugly?

Based on a suggestion in the Fun thread, I would like to ask you which Amico games do you find exceptionally nice, which mediocre and which could be graphically improved?

My top: Cloudy Mountain and Breakout (distinctive, unique, modern retro graphics)

Middle: Finnigan Fox

Bottom: Dynablaster (too dark)

What are yours?

Edited by Lusorius
Added reasons

So far, purely from a graphical standpoint, there’s only been one game that I’m really loving the look –

Cloudy Mountain --  I think that seems to perfectly nail a balance between being nice looking, while letting the simplicity ensure the graphics aren’t getting in the way of the gameplay.  Simple screen aesthetic and limited room views seem like they’d be perfect.

Dynablaster is the one I’m liking least.   I love those games, but the screens I’m seeing from this looks like it’s getting in its own way.  The screen tilt and generic 3d assets don’t instill a lot of confidence that the game will play as nicely as the top down, clean sprite views of past games.   

Nightstalker is about the same as Dynablaster for me.  This is one of my most anticipated games, but with the footage I’ve seen, it feels like too busy graphically and, as mentioned with Dynablasters, is getting in its own way. Gameplay is king, though, so hope to be proven wrong.

Everything else is just kind of “ok” for me – they look nice, nothing really seems like it’ll steal the show or hold it back, as long as the gameplay is there.

My one major gripe/hope for change, though, is that they open things up for more diverse looks with their games.   I could be wrong, but I seem to remember them saying they’re not fans of the “pixel graphics” look and implied that we won’t see much of that on Amico.   But for me, some of the most beautiful games in recent years have used that art style to stand out aesthetically, so I feel that by shoehorning everything into that 3D stuff, they’re running the risk of an overall “built using pre-fab” assets vide, which is contributing to all the “they look like flash games” nonsense.

• Like 1

Agree with Dynablaster. After the clean pixels of the SNES/PC Engine/MD/Amiga versions, this is ugly. It looks like Brawl on Switch, which was equally ugly.

• Like 1

One thing that bothers me with Amico Cloudy Mountain is that the player characters look like Intellivision football players.  I would have thought that if they wanted an old blocky look they might have used sprites from Intellivision AD&D.  I really like the player character look in Night Stalker, a modern running man.

9 minutes ago, mr_me said:

One thing that bothers me with Amico Cloudy Mountain is that the player characters look like Intellivision football players. 

They should totally run with that --- the premise could be "the Intellivision Football team got sucked into this world of adventure..."  😄

Im most looking forward to a reimagined Beauty and the Beast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

- My top title is definitely cloudy mountain: it looks nostalgic yet modern, it's simple but doesn't feel cheap, and it's also exactly the kind of game I'd like to play on Amico. I really hope to see more games like this. I also appreciate the running man used as an in-game mascotte, it makes sense from a continuity perspective and gives strength to the brand's identity. 

- Breakout may not be exactly my most anticipated game, but it definitely looks really good. Also the sound design seems top notch. Sound design and art direction are absolutely fundamental in simple games. 

- While Night Stalker seem to be stylistically close to the aforementioned games (which is good), it definitely looks too cluttered. Toning down a bit the flashiness would definitely help to make it more readable and pleasant, it should be easy considering it has a good base. 

- Skiing looks... Ok for its purpose, I guess. Would appreciate a bit of polish. It's not as interesting as the others mentioned, but it works for what's intended to be. 

- Pong is just too inconsistent. Some scenarios look like they approach the top 3, but then it drops to the most generic low quality backgrounds... It really needs to be refined. 

- I really can't say I like most of the other games, visually. Indeed, as many commonly criticize, most look like cheap mobile/flash games. However, I do not intend to say this dismissively. I think IE needs proper feedback here, because games like Cloudy Mountain or Break Out show that they indeed can make good looking games. Games being simple and accessible isn't the issue here. The problem is that too many games have that old smartphone 1$ game look, which denotes a lack of artistic direction. I mean, who cares about board games/edutainment titles aesthetics... It's games like Shark Shark, Moon Patrol or Finnigan Fox, which are among the main launch titles, that should look better. And I don't absolutely mean with super graphics or whatever, I mean stylistically speaking they should feel like console games and not mobile shovelware. It's especially hard to understand for Finnigan Fox, considering Fox 'n Forests looks relatively good with its art style. I really hope this is due to most games being pre-existing, and to see more games looking like the better ones in future batches. As I said for Breakout, things like art direction and sound design make the whole difference from a simple, good looking game and a cheap one. I absolutely want to think that IE can and will improve without dismissing criticism. 

• Thanks 1

Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain are visually very interesting to me.

image.thumb.png.cbeae542816d11a0903f2455f62a043a.png

image.thumb.png.d2123da67cf391e3df588a49448d2864.png

I think the sport games shown in teasers (Baseball and Soccer) are of  very low quality and honestly seemed out of place to even include in the trailer, especially knowing the clips were very old (and hopefully evolved a lot since then).

image.thumb.png.998dbd27d10c3df9f91ae49eb6d5012a.png

image.thumb.png.65a045ab76a5b55864422d0d6d99ac88.png

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MattPilz said:

I think the sport games shown in teasers (Baseball and Soccer) are of  very low quality and honestly seemed out of place to even include in the trailer, especially knowing the clips were very old (and hopefully evolved a lot since then).

image.thumb.png.998dbd27d10c3df9f91ae49eb6d5012a.png

image.thumb.png.65a045ab76a5b55864422d0d6d99ac88.png

Oh, that is true! I completely forgot them! That soccer is much worse than Dynablaster! Hopefully, it has evolved a lot since. Interesting, I would have expected that they would go like Sensible soccer way. More top-down perspective.

11 hours ago, Parker77 said:

Agree with Dynablaster. After the clean pixels of the SNES/PC Engine/MD/Amiga versions, this is ugly. It looks like Brawl on Switch, which was equally ugly.

I have checked other games from the same publisher/developer (?). None of the looks really great :/. On good side (?), Dynablaster will be available for all possible platforms, including mobile, PC, Switch... So a lot of possibilities to try it out.

- Night Stalker and Breakout are the best looking for me, and also the ones I look forward to play the most

- Astrosmash and Finnigan Fox are the worst; the latter may even be the ugliest game I've ever seen, which is quite an accomplishment since Fox n Forests looked really good. 😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

- Night Stalker and Breakout are the best looking for me, and also the ones I look forward to play the most

- Astrosmash and Finnigan Fox are the worst; the latter may even be the ugliest game I've ever seen, which is quite an accomplishment since Fox n Forests looked really good. 😕

Yeah, the Fox game is a weird one. The original went on sale on Switch so I picked it up to see what the crack was. It's a bang average platformer along the lines of all the licensed tat of the 90's, but it certainly looks nice. The new one..... no.

I think Night Stalker looks really cool, Cloudy Mountain is a bit of a mixed bag visually but still intriguing.  I'm not sure I'll ever get to play them, unfortunately.

• Like 3

I think Dolphin Quest from what little has been shown looks the best.

The sports games by far the worst.

Games like Cloudy don't look bad, but they look like other generic dungeon games. They missed an opportunity to add some personality by creating different characters to play with. Instead you have the most basic and generic running man. Sorry to Intv fans but that Running Man just screams old retro.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Instead you have the most basic and generic running man. Sorry to Intv fans but that Running Man just screams old retro.

That's one of the things I really liked about it.  😁    Not really sure why, other than it just adds to the simplicity.  I dunno...  And I'm not an Intv fan at all, and have no emotional connection to that running man critter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lusorius said:

Oh, that is true! I completely forgot them! That soccer is much worse than Dynablaster! Hopefully, it has evolved a lot since. Interesting, I would have expected that they would go like Sensible soccer way. More top-down perspective.

Soccer looks pretty bland, for sure, but if the gameplay is tight, the uncluttered look could still work to its advantage, kinda like the "sensible soccer" games, even without being strictly top down.   And who knows... maybe they'll have the option to change the camera like many other sports games do.

• Like 1

Not really sure what this game is, and haven't seen it in motion, but from the screenshots, I like the art style going on with this one as well --

screen0101.thumb.jpg.4814070927c254098463d0055357ae5b.jpg

The image above is the Amico game Nitro Derby.  They've had short clips of it in various videos including E3.

The Soccer game they've shown is very early in development and looks rough in all aspects.  Someone clipped out the "early prototype" text from the image shown above. The Baseball image is from a video clip first shown last year, so it would have progressed.

Edited by mr_me

13 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The image above is the Amico game Nitro Derby.  They've had short clips in various videos including E3.

The Soccer game they've shown is very early in development and looks rough in all aspects.  The Baseball image is from a video clip first shown last year, so it would have progressed.

And which games do you find nice, which mediocre and which ugly? :)

Night Stalker, Tank Battle, Biplanes, Evel Knievel, and Dynablaster are ones I can think of that graphically stood out for me.  The games with a cartoony style are obviously meant for a younger audience. Some of the Pong they've shown looks ugly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

That's one of the things I really liked about it.  😁    Not really sure why, other than it just adds to the simplicity.  I dunno...  And I'm not an Intv fan at all, and have no emotional connection to that running man critter.

It does add to the simplicity. But you can still have simple and personality. Even in a game like Among Us you can customize. Think about "different classes" and decking them out in silly viking hats or something. I know the original only had arrows but adding a few more weapon options wouldn't hurt either. Just small things you can do that modernizes it a little bit. If Nintendo left Mario as blocks and basic as he was and never evolved his look, would he be as iconic? Running Man has no evolution or personality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

It does add to the simplicity. But you can still have simple and personality. Even in a game like Among Us you can customize. Think about "different classes" and decking them out in silly viking hats or something. I know the original only had arrows but adding a few more weapon options wouldn't hurt either. Just small things you can do that modernizes it a little bit. 

Um hmm... yep... they "could" do all that.   And probably even should, to appeal to the masses.  Even still, I like the way it looks as-is.  So to me, in my personal opinion that may or may not jive with anyone else's -- any changes they take in the "Among Us" direction are extremely likely to make it less appealing.  I don't want my dungeon crawling tainted by someone wearing a banana as a hat, even if that someone is my kid  🤣

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

If Nintendo left Mario as blocks and basic as he was and never evolved his look, would he be as iconic? 

Doubtful, but no way to know for sure.   That sort of thing can go either way, really.  

Mario did alright for himself.   Definitely iconic… probably the most iconic video game character.   But the dog from Duck Hunt is considered iconic, too.  I don’t think his evolution had anything to do with that.

Pac-Man’s “evolution” gave us a bunch of stinkers until Championship Edition came out.  And in that, the look of the game evolved, but not Pac-Man.  He’s still the same ol’ circle with a triangle sliced out that he’s always been.  I'd say he's second only to Mario when talking about "iconic" video game characters.

Mega Man was damn near getting to the point of being “hated’ by fans and critics until they released 9 during the Wii, PS3, and 360 gen, which made a huge splash and was praised as a breath of fresh air because they… er… went back to the “basic block pre-evolved” look .

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I don't want my dungeon crawling tainted by someone wearing a banana as a hat, even if that someone is my kid  🤣

Is it a monkey at the top of the mountain? 🤣

• Like 1

Here are my choices...

Top Tier: Astrosmash/Moon Patrol

Mid: Night Stalker/Battle Tanks

Low: Earthworm Jim

The space games seem to excel in higher end retro graphics which is good for me because those are the games I gravitate towards (pun intended)!  The cartoony graphics like Earthworm Jim turn me off and I usually steer clear of those kinds of kiddy games.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2021 at 9:25 AM, MrBeefy said:

The sports games by far the worst.

Lighting effects are always one of the last aspects of a game to be implemented and the first to be adjusted.  The WWI Simulator I was invloved with looked like crap for years until we came across the right person that was able to custom design the shading/bloom effects we needed in the sim to bring it to life.

So I wouldn't judge anything Sports related until they're ready for release.  The "sprites" on both MLB Baseball and Soccer looks pretty good to start with.   I mean for what the Amico is shaping up to be, I'd say FUN will be the key to these games.  I still play World Series Baseball on Intellvision because it's simple "sandlot baseball" without all the other bell's and whistles.  The goal is to make it replayable... over and over again.  If the game achieves that, then you have success no matter how good or bad it looks.

Still to this day the best Baseball game I have ever played for a true baseball experience is Earl Weaver Baseball I/II.  Sure it looks like crap... but man, it's all about the game!

11.jpg

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 3

Top: Cloudy Mountain, Astrosmash, Breakout, Dynablaster, Rigid Force, Nitro Derby, Pong (except Candy screen), Snafoo, Brain Duel, Baseball and Bomb Squad

Low: Night Stalker, Spades, Sesame Street and Side Swipers.