IGNORED

BLOKZ - Abbuc 2021 software compo game

popmilo

2 hours ago, popmilo said:

I like it and sure can use it :)

Can you just make both left right moving frames too ?

First I tried converting arcade and gameboy quarth gfx, but it couldn't look good in a8 pixels... Then drew that ship sprite in gimp in 5min :)

if so... I would prefer 3 different colors as much as possible? instead of those "mono"-looking sprites?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, popmilo said:

Can you just make both left right moving frames too ?

Here you go !

None of the versions I looked had left/right animation.. so I made my own (strafing),

This brings the need for extra animation for each direction, namely flying and shooting.. I haven't include them, but it's not a big deal if you want them.

Shooting           Flying             Strafing

fire.gif.66926776d62fb0703a73f04987c18344.gif    flying.gif.4057ac53e15a890c0b970bc5acf01f46.gif    strafing.gif.02b9b3a62dcad202cf1a5282f508b1a9.gif    all-cherub.png.bfdebb9d8ebd8a8f62123d1163a8e547.png

We can always include the 2nd player ship if you add a 2 player option..

ship-flying.gif.122e77208ee9684ad4ae2ab45590b732.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5200 version perhaps on the way in the short future? A/W/A have already ported some of their ABBUC entries from this year, this and also I would love to see Gacek ported as well, even though Big Sexy only has 16K of RAM on her she does incorporate bank switching for ROMs over 32K and the Atarimax cart also utilizes an .hyb format for bigger files.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrathchild said:

Post #9... not a month already! ?

Oh, just wishful thinking, that's all, I just get jealous of all the great ports A8/XL/XE/XEGS users have, like this year's "Graduating Class Of 2021" from this year's ABBUC SWC, thank goodness I already own an XEGS as well as Big Sexy but I did mention if I could only have two units it would be the 5200 and the 7800, mainly because of their similar cosmetic build as well as the 5200 having 16K or RAM and the 7800 (a.k.a. "Lil' Sexy") having about 10K of RAM, perhaps maybe this might change my mind from the 7800 to the XEGS instead if I could only have 2 because of the larger capabilities of the XEGS.

Perhaps I should make myself a signature for the XEGS that reads:

"The Atari XE Video Game System - for games when the 5200 is just not powerful enough to run them"

....and basically that's exactly what it is, TBH. But maybe it's time I have my cake and eat it too, I was fortunate to have tons of $$$ to invest in all 4 of my current consoles (2600 Jr. - short rainbow version, 5200, 7800, and XEGS) when my 2002 Beetle was out with all of those problems, in which grew from just merely not being able to start last September to more severe and major problems as it just sat there, as I awaited for what wound up being my $4,700.00 income tax refund this past February, perhaps maybe it's time I just zip it and get to playing them!!! I didn't get all 4 of them just merely for the business of using them for The Atari Report, I truly am an Atarian, but right now my financial status is not too good right now, I already had to sell my 65XE, in which I can proudly say, went to a gentleman in NJ who is using her right now alongside his ST, but I've just got to stay strong!!! And for a mentally fragile guy like myself that is not easy to do by any means.

5 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Oh, just wishful thinking...

Don't worry Ray, it's not :) We really do plan to make this work on 5200 too. I got like three issues to fix, first one was flicker in ntsc mode which seems to be done, so next is solving the bug that happens sometimes when clearing a block (white rectangle remains on screen for some reason, like erasing isn't done completelly).

Third one is 5200 version which should be "just" shuffling things in memory space, so hang on, we'll do it this year I hope :)

ps. I've heard good stuff about 7800, it's gfx chip is crazy tech, but never seen it in real life... And yeah, retro collection is hard to take care of, when you got real life issues. All the best !
Vladimir

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TIX said:

Here you go !

None of the versions I looked had left/right animation.. so I made my own (strafing),

This brings the need for extra animation for each direction, namely flying and shooting.. I haven't include them, but it's not a big deal if you want them.

Shooting           Flying             Strafing

fire.gif.66926776d62fb0703a73f04987c18344.gif    flying.gif.4057ac53e15a890c0b970bc5acf01f46.gif    strafing.gif.02b9b3a62dcad202cf1a5282f508b1a9.gif    all-cherub.png.bfdebb9d8ebd8a8f62123d1163a8e547.png

We can always include the 2nd player ship if you add a 2 player option..

ship-flying.gif.122e77208ee9684ad4ae2ab45590b732.gif

Damn Tix !!! ;)

Started to work on new gfx and just realized you've made sprites 32x32 when they are 24x24 in the game :) :) :)
Artists... Umphhhh.... ;)

ps. Let me think if I can make it work with 32x32 in any way...

27 minutes ago, popmilo said:

Damn Tix !!! ;)

Started to work on new gfx and just realized you've made sprites 32x32 when they are 24x24 in the game :) :) :)
Artists... Umphhhh.... ;)

ps. Let me think if I can make it work with 32x32 in any way...

?  check again.. it's just a little taller   -> all-cherub-2.png.1eb4495d48a4d72ba7213a5cdc4b0731.png

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TIX said:

?  check again.. it's just a little taller   -> all-cherub-2.png.1eb4495d48a4d72ba7213a5cdc4b0731.png

"just a little" means 4 chars instead of 3 width... "29" height means 4 instead of 3 char rows... Which means I have to reduce play area size, adjust coordinates, irqs for changing colors... etc... :) Will do tomorrow, too tired tonight and got foundation and wheel of time to watch :)
?

8 minutes ago, popmilo said:

"just a little" means 4 chars instead of 3 width... "29" height means 4 instead of 3 char rows... Which means I have to reduce play area size, adjust coordinates, irqs for changing colors... etc... :) Will do tomorrow, too tired tonight and got foundation and wheel of time to watch :)
?

that's going to change things a bit, I like the blue ship, but maybe it's just thanksgiving here in the states that made tix's first normal color run remind me of flying turkey!

1 hour ago, popmilo said:

?

..maybe I'll try to shrink them down  ?

Edited by TIX

9 hours ago, popmilo said:

Don't worry Ray, it's not :) We really do plan to make this work on 5200 too. I got like three issues to fix, first one was flicker in ntsc mode which seems to be done, so next is solving the bug that happens sometimes when clearing a block (white rectangle remains on screen for some reason, like erasing isn't done completelly).

Third one is 5200 version which should be "just" shuffling things in memory space, so hang on, we'll do it this year I hope :)

ps. I've heard good stuff about 7800, it's gfx chip is crazy tech, but never seen it in real life... And yeah, retro collection is hard to take care of, when you got real life issues. All the best !
Vladimir

Thanks Vlad :),

I'm getting through this, and yes the MARIA gfx chip in the 7800 is an awesome thing indeed and prior to last year, when development on what is now the Concerto multicart was midway through I never paid attention to the 7800 let alone the XEGS, just the 5200. I have owned a 5200 since 1983 so I go back to my days in high school with her, in fact I didn't even bother with the 2600 until I saw Dennis Debro's brilliant Pac-Man 4K here on AA a few years back that he came out with back in 2007, so that blew up my interest in (eventually) acquiring multiple systems, and maybe I just need to settle down and realize I have 4 great consoles and a subsidized apartment and as long as I stay within my means, in which is especially hard when you're trying to "make it big" in the entertainment business in any way you can, like my old high school classmate-turned internet model/actress Cindy Margolis did, and I still haven't in my 28 years in it, it does get kind of frustrating doesn't it??? I may not have, get, or make very much money, but always I try to aim high, so while the mainstream says I have to live in "the big city" and "have money", I defiantly say "bullshit!". In the end talent should always persevere over net worth and geographical location every single time!!! I hope that is still true.

@BIGHMW There are +2 new games for 5200 on Atari 5200 forum, since last Wednesday, and you didn't even thaked for them, nor even liked the posts.

Not that quality? Well... there would be Turrican clone for a8 but history has turned a bit differently (I still have sources but they probably aren't very useful nowadays).

8 hours ago, miker said:

@BIGHMW There are +2 new games for 5200 on Atari 5200 forum, since last Wednesday, and you didn't even thaked for them, nor even liked the posts.

Not that quality? Well... there would be Turrican clone for a8 but history has turned a bit differently (I still have sources but they probably aren't very useful nowadays).

Thanks, I have just really been in the doldrums lately on everything, especially financially,  yes I did give my usual likes on both 8-bit and 5200 versions.

Hey, they don't look half bad for the size !

the 2 alternate colors look better (more golden) to me,

banking looks a little stiff, I'll take another look later tonight..

I haven't thought about the burnout.. but the old one is fitting well ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cRc_atari said:

Wow, thats cool, I can repeat that and debug :)

Thanks for finding it !

Could be because of "fix" I introduced for ntsc... In pal version I have large buffer reserved above visible screen where new shapes are drawn. in pal mode scrolling that is not a problem. Turned out that in ntsc there's not enough cpu time in vertical blank for that... So I scroll less (like 1-2 lines above visible part... So could be detection routine is f-ed up by it... (shapes are not complete)... Will fix.