IGNORED

Atari 8-Bit BBS Disks?

PixelCrunch

Dear AtariAge.

I wish to connect to a BBS Via Altirra 3.9.0, and with a 1030 Modem? Is this possible to do, however? Do I need any special disks? If so, can you link their files to me, please?

Best Regards (and luck).

PixelCrunch

PS: Here's an example of the BBSes I wanna connect to: http://sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php

8 minutes ago, PixelCrunch said:

Dear AtariAge.

I wish to connect to a BBS Via Altirra 3.9.0, and with a 1030 Modem? Is this possible to do, however? Do I need any special disks? If so, can you link their files to me, please?

Best Regards (and luck).

PixelCrunch

PS: Here's an example of the BBSes I wanna connect to: http://sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php

A 1030 modem (or any other for that matter) will not allow you to connect to any of the BBSes on that list.  You'll notice that they are not dial up, but rather have telnet addresses.  What you will want to use, is a program called Ice-T XE and in Altirra, you'll want telnet modem emulation enabled.  From within Ice-T XE (or any other term program), issue an ATDT command, with the telnet address rather than the phone number you would have dialed back in the day.

• Like 1

Just now, Stephen said:

A 1030 modem (or any other for that matter) will not allow you to connect to any of the BBSes on that list.  You'll notice that they are not dial up, but rather have telnet addresses.  What you will want to use, is a program called Ice-T XE and in Altirra, you'll want telnet modem emulation enabled.  From within Ice-T XE (or any other term program), issue an ATDT command, with the telnet address rather than the phone number you would have dialed back in the day.

Ok, then how can I connect to a dial-up Modem via Altirra?

44 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

BobTerm + Altirra + Internet connection can do this... (NOTE: Ctrl-M after the 8888 not Atari Chr$(155))

image.thumb.png.afa5420671b896dcfe8802d80c2effa3.png

In SpartaDOS 3 shown here, setup a BOB.BAT file

image.thumb.png.8031233f3983c89a01885b1b547d08ec.png

This would be able to connect to all those on your list...

Ok, can you walk me through how to set this up?

1 hour ago, PixelCrunch said:

Ok, can you walk me through how to set this up?

Better yet... use this.     BobTerm.atr

1. Attach ATR to D1: in Altirra

2. Boot

3. Make sure you set up simulated modem in Altirra.  (I always forget this part as all of my different instances of Altirra always have the modem enabled.)
image.thumb.png.0db270f670d02f9d17d951a1c3d4d4a8.png

4. Type -BOB at DOS Prompt (D1:) to run the BOB.BAT file and load rs232.com and BobTerm

Remember in Bobterm terminal mode, when you type in a URL (atdi bfbbs.no-ip.com 8888 (ctrl)-M), terminate the command with a Ctrl-M (13) rather than an ATASCII return (155) as modems understand ASCII not ATASCII.  Or you can use the terminal in ASCII mode although some Atari 8-bit BBSes may restrict access to ASCII user (not me)... but ATARI BBSes are more fun in ATASCII mode.  Or type URL in ASCII and switch to ATASCII when connected. 

And when you're typing in that URL, don't make typos and use the backspace key... it breaks the command.

Pixelcrunch, you need to dial using internet ip address, or name... are you using a plain old telephone service with modem to call an isp and access the web?

Real phone line based BBS needs real hardware and real modem with real phone line... Most BBS are on the internet using raw/lantronix/emulation bridge etc./ape/etc.

Edited by _The Doctor__

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

I thought all the emulated modems on Altirra acted as "telnet" modems.

55 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Pixelcrunch, you need to dial using internet ip address, or name... are you using a plain old telephone service with modem to call an isp and access the web?

Real phone line based BBS needs real hardware and real modem with real phone line... Most BBS are on the internet using raw/lantronix/emulation bridge etc./ape/etc.

Basement has a dial up number, and AMIS might also.  Though how well it works depends on a lot of factors. :(

But you're right that in this case he needs to use the IP anyway because Altirra can't dial out.