IGNORED

Best 3D racing game for the 9918A

Asmusr

36 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Always wished a port of Turbo had made it to the TI. Not sure I'm aware of anything better than Turbo for both the CV and Intv...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=intellivision+colecovision+turbo

Some interesting ideas there. I assume it is changing between 4 different name tables that are already in VDP RAM.

19 minutes ago, matthew180 said:

I don't know, but my instinct would be to look at the MSX1 for examples, although I learned yesterday that the CV set the bar for the NES engineers to pass, so there is that.

It has a version of Outrun but I have mixed feelings about that. I like the music, though.

I checked on this website
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3563/ZX-Spectrum/Out_Run

here says that Outrun was from 1987 and work on Spectrum 48k/128K 
Probably just playing it on the 128K version can play the music and not in the 48K? I do not know, just suppose, I always hated the Spectrum ?
Probably also the Outrun for the Amstrad CPC was just a simply convertion of the spectrum code.

I remember I really loved the C64 version instead but yes, it is another CPU I know ;)

Anyway if it could be interesting to read this:
https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/software/outrun

Edited by ti99iuc

1 minute ago, ti99iuc said:

I checked on this website
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3563/ZX-Spectrum/Out_Run

here says that Outrun was from 1987 and work on Spectrum 48k/128K 
Probably just playing it on the 128K version can play the music and not in the 48K? I do not know, just suppose, I always hated the Spectrum ?
Probably also the Outrun for the Amstrad CPC was just a simply convertion of the spectrum code.

I remember I really loved the C64 version instead but yes, it is another CPU I know ;)

Well I love the ZX Spectrum and it's incredible library of games, but as you said what you can do on a Spectrum, which has direct access to video memory, has little to do with what you can do on 9918A machines. So I'm still looking for more examples, to make sure we can do better.

• Like 1

Test Drive gets my vote.  I love that game.  I believe Test Drive II: The Duel is the one which came to MSX, and it definitely improved upon the original.  I played them both on my C64.

Ah, yeah, here:

Although, I think Outrun is far more iconic.  I liked it but not as much.

8 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

I also loved a lot Buggy Boy on C64 but I seen there is also a Spectrum 48K version

Oh!  That reminds me of another C64 racing game I enjoyed playing.  Stunt Car Racer!  What it lacks in graphics it makes up for in game play.  It seems monotonous but is really fun.  Granted, not a 9918A, but looks simple enough to make work.

ZX Spectrum represented in this "Let's Compare" video.

Commodore 64 version.

• Like 1

F1 spirit, top-down similar to road hunter in that regard, though not as smooth. Some nice, fast gameplay.

I enjoyed playing Pitstop II split-screen head-to-head (the screen was split in half top/bottom)  with friends on the C64 back in the day.  Don't think there was anything 9918 specific for that game; would be neat if TIPI was fast enough for competitive racing :)

There is a Pitstop for coleco but single player only, not the most robust gameplay or graphics but still some simple fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Oh!  That reminds me of another C64 racing game I enjoyed playing.  Stunt Car Racer!  What it lacks in graphics it makes up for in game play.  It seems monotonous but is really fun.  Granted, not a 9918A, but looks simple enough to make work.

I used to play Stunt Car Racer a lot but that must have been on the PC. I think it would be a difficult challenge for the 9918A. In the same category I spent an insane amount of time playing a later PC game called Stunts.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

I used to play Stunt Car Racer a lot but that must have been on the PC. I think it would be a difficult challenge for the 9918A. In the same category I spent an insane amount of time playing a later PC game called Stunts.

I agree that is better to focus on games designed for 8bit systems. Stunt Car Racer was a great game to play on 16bit generation machines (Amiga/Atari ST). The 8bit versions were necessarily cut down and published just for milking the cow. Similarly for Test Drive, Outrun and Buggy Boy.
In particular, Buggy Boy was fun on Amiga because it was fast. Just look at the video of the Spectrum version: ultra slow. Out Run had a great graphics and it was a fast game on Arcades. The MSX version is slow and with a mediocre graphic. Also the Amiga version was a mediocre conversion.
Test Drive hasn't a great gameplay on the 16bit versions and the focus was mainly on graphics/realism. If you look at the C64 version you'll see that is slow and boring.

8 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

would be neat if TIPI was fast enough for competitive racing

We have tech demos that show it should be fast enough. Network latency need to be less that 25ms to seem responsive at 30fps. You should be able to get that in a local LAN setting.

With modern games, predictive compute is used to make up for network latency.

9 hours ago, tmop69 said:

Test Drive hasn't a great gameplay on the 16bit versions and the focus was mainly on graphics/realism. If you look at the C64 version you'll see that is slow and boring.

Test Drive II on the C64 is at least a well put-together rendition which holds its own against the other platforms released at the same time.  If you were an 8-bit user in 1989, you did not expect miracles compared to an Amiga or Atari ST, but what we got was still playable and impressive enough to make it worth the purchase.  As noted at the time, if you cannot grok the original Test Drive you likely will not enjoy the sequel.  That said, yeah, the 16-bit renditions are pretty basic.  I think a lot more could have been done with the Amiga and Sega Genesis.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, retroclouds said:

Lotus F3 for MSX1. Granted it’s not a 3D first person. But this is the best smooth scrolling racing game I’ve seen for the 9918.

It’s a homebrew of Dvik & Joyrex, they did some very impressive over the years.

Once again one of those games where I would have lost every bet that this can't be on a 9918.

• Like 2