IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Controller Adapters - Round 3 (Nurmix)

nurmix

I'm starting this new thread for my Intellivision Flashback controller adapter cables.  Yes, I've decided to start making these again after a long hiatus, since it seems a lot of folks missed out the first time around.

As of writing this (September 3, 2021) I'm not quite ready to start, since I need to order more supplies.  But things should get underway soon - I'd guess by the end of the month.

For now the main purpose of this thread is to have a place to keep track of interest, and to let folks on Atari Age know the adapter cables are once again available.  Please post here if you want to order some so I can get a rough idea how many I'll be making going forward.

I have numerous old PMs and emails that were sent to the podcast email account the past couple years from people who wanted the adapters.  At this point I don't know if those folks are still interested or not.  I plan to follow up with as many as I can - and I'm going to try to keep it in the order the requests came in - but it's likely I may miss some people, so a post here would be very helpful.

The price of the adapters is a little more than last time, due to supply cost increases (in particular, the parts needed for the Intellivision 1 adapters) and a little something for my time.  This is a hobby after all, but I'm trying to keep the prices as reasonable as I can.  Making the adapters is a time consuming process, especially the ones for the original console.

Intellivision 1 Flashback Controller Adapters

(for the original console, INTV, Radio Shack etc. variations with the "hard wired" controllers)

These allow you to use Flashback controllers on your original model Intellivision, INTV System III, INTV Super Pro System, RCA Tandyvision, GTE/Sylvania Intellivision; basically any version of the Intellivision console that had the “hard wired” controllers. These are approximately 18 inches in length, with a male DB9-pin plug on one end, and a 9-pin ‘motherboard/SIPP’ connector on the other. To install these, you need to remove 6 screws from the bottom of your Intellivision console, take the top cover off, slide the original controller connectors off the motherboard pins, and slide the adapter cable connectors onto those same motherboard pins (the adapter wires are routed out the same holes as the original controller wires). Put the top back on, and you’re done. It takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. You can then plug in your Flashback controllers with ease. Here's a YouTube video from Grey Defender that shows the process in detail.

Inty1_adapters_04R.thumb.jpg.bb6a31ad2b5fbd9f13697b8606ca9745.jpg

Inty1_adapters_05R.thumb.jpg.9bcf3b88beafbfcfdbb12efd4784765c.jpg

The cost is $34/pair + shipping. These are only sold in pairs.

Intellivision II / Sears Flashback Controller Adapters

(for the Intellivision II and Sears consoles with the removable db9 connector controllers)

These allow you to use Flashback controllers on your Intellivision II or Sears Super Video Arcade (the consoles that had the easily removable ‘DB9 plug’ connectors on the controllers). These are 6 foot extension/conversion cables, with a male DB9-pin plug on one end, and a female DB9-pin plug on the other.

Inty2_adapters_01R.thumb.jpg.d9f7e9d8532a8016afd1e8e086bbff07.jpg

Inty2_adapters_02R.thumb.jpg.ad2bba2a6981884c7b9943b2e282bdeb.jpg

The cost is $17 per cable, or $32/pair + shipping.

Please send me a PM here on Atari Age if you are interested in any of these cables. Include your shipping / address information, and preferably an email address, and I will get back to you with a total. Payment is via PayPal or Venmo. Credit cards (processed through my business - White Flag Computing) are also an option if you don't use PayPal or Venmo. You can also email adapters@intellivisionaries.com or flashback@intellivisionaries.com instead of sending a PM if you prefer.

I won't be accepting payments until I get the supplies and start making the cables.

Shipping is not included in the above prices. USA orders will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail.  I can also ship First Class Mail in a padded mailer for a little bit less, but you will have to pay for the mailer.

With some exceptions, International orders will be shipped via USPS International First Class (padded mailer - price varies depending on weight and destination).

Original / previous thread, for reference: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/237113-intellivision-flashback-controller-adapters-round-2/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-4897648

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I own one flashback with two controllers.  I also own an original Intellivision, Intellivision 2 and a Sears.  I could probably make use of one pair of each.

I do recall that one of my FB controllers was not working when I pressed down on the disk.  It had never been previously used so couldn't have been worn out.  I should dig it out and see if it's repairable.  I'll send a PM after I have tried it out.

Thanks

23 hours ago, nurmix said:

Intellivision II / Sears Flashback Controller Adapters

(for the Intellivision II and Sears consoles with the removable db9 connector controllers)

These allow you to use Flashback controllers on your Intellivision II or Sears Super Video Arcade (the consoles that had the easily removable ‘DB9 plug’ connectors on the controllers). These are 6 foot extension/conversion cables, with a male DB9-pin plug on one end, and a female DB9-pin plug on the other.

Inty2_adapters_01R.thumb.jpg.d9f7e9d8532a8016afd1e8e086bbff07.jpg

Inty2_adapters_02R.thumb.jpg.ad2bba2a6981884c7b9943b2e282bdeb.jpg

I can't recommend the INTY II / Sears Flashback Controller Adapters enough.  One of the best purchases ever, for my INTY II.?

• Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 11:20 PM, Sinjinhawke said:

I own one flashback with two controllers.  I also own an original Intellivision, Intellivision 2 and a Sears.  I could probably make use of one pair of each.

I do recall that one of my FB controllers was not working when I pressed down on the disk.  It had never been previously used so couldn't have been worn out.  I should dig it out and see if it's repairable.  I'll send a PM after I have tried it out.

Thanks

When I purchased an extra set of FB controllers for my use, I found one that had issues similar as you described and the other developed issues not long after using it. Cracked them open to find that the solder work on the FB controllers wasn't very good and like 2 wires on one of the controllers had come completely loose.

So it is likely it is something similar and you can just resolder the wiring back in place.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

When I purchased an extra set of FB controllers for my use, I found one that had issues similar as you described and the other developed issues not long after using it. Cracked them open to find that the solder work on the FB controllers wasn't very good and like 2 wires on one of the controllers had come completely loose.

So it is likely it is something similar and you can just resolder the wiring back in place.

Well that's hopeful.  I will take a look for that.

On 9/5/2021 at 3:21 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Dug it out and tried both controllers.  They both work fine now.  Can't explain it.  Maybe the solder fairies paid me a visit.  Time to send a PM.

9 hours ago, cmart604 said:

Nooooooooooo! 

Well, with an average of about 30 minutes per cable, that's around 5,640 minutes of labor, or 94 hours.  Of course then there's testing, printing and cutting the labels, putting the packaging together, then boxing them up for shipment... oh, and going to the post office.  So tack on another 40 hours, or 2,400 minutes.  Grand total 134 hours, or 8,040 minutes (5.58 days).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nurmix said:

Well, with an average of about 30 minutes per cable, that's around 5,640 minutes of labor, or 94 hours.  Of course then there's testing, printing and cutting the labels, putting the packaging together, then boxing them up for shipment... oh, and going to the post office.  So tack on another 40 hours, or 2,400 minutes.  Grand total 134 hours, or 8,040 minutes (5.58 days).

Intellivisionaries Special Edition #12: Nurmix Makes 188 Intellivision Flashback Controller Adapters... in Real Time

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, gunoz said:

Intellivisionaries Special Edition #12: Nurmix Makes 188 Intellivision Flashback Controller Adapters... in Real Time

I literally *almost* spit my coffee at the screen when I read this!

?

...but you did just give me an idea for a bit in a future episode...

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, nurmix said:

Noooooooooo! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nurmix said:

I look forward to my 2 sets in 5.58 days!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1