IGNORED

V.B.X.E Questions

PixelCrunch

22 hours ago, PixelCrunch said:

4: Why isn't anyone making more use of it?!

Oh I know the answer to this.  Because making a game, any game, is a lot of work, and the audience for this is small. That said, if the Incognito Atari 800 adapter gets released, I'll consider getting one for 80 column with Spartados.  I did peek at the docs. I think 2d games are possible with the blitter. You store all your art in VBXE memory, and then draw the entire screen with the blitter. Maybe fake 3d games are possible? Not sure if anyone has made any fake 3d demos with VBXE. I don't have one, so I don't pay much attention, tbh.

One problem is that the AVR in use for VBXE 2 is used to it's full capacity so no new features can be added and even a bugfix or two has been missed.

Possibly they're building the new ones with a more capable chip but there's no point doing a new version as it'd create a compatibility break which is unacceptable.

A shortcoming is that there's no component mode and it's 15 KHz RGB instead of a VGA type which makes monitor selection a whole lot more restricted.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:38 AM, cathrynm said:

Oh I know the answer to this.  Because making a game, any game, is a lot of work, and the audience for this is small. That said, if the Incognito Atari 800 adapter gets released, I'll consider getting one for 80 column with Spartados.  I did peek at the docs. I think 2d games are possible with the blitter. You store all your art in VBXE memory, and then draw the entire screen with the blitter. Maybe fake 3d games are possible? Not sure if anyone has made any fake 3d demos with VBXE. I don't have one, so I don't pay much attention, tbh.

Me made 3d demos…

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 10:31 PM, PixelCrunch said:

Oh, and another question! Can the X.B.X.E do partial transparencies? 25%, 50% transparency?

Yes… please read the documents and have a look at the demos at Lotharek‘s shop site…

transparency by software or by hardware? 

by software you can use the blitter and palette “magic” to fake transparency…

On 9/6/2021 at 2:39 PM, Heaven/TQA said:

Yes… please read the documents and have a look at the demos at Lotharek‘s shop site…

transparency by software or by hardware? 

by software you can use the blitter and palette “magic” to fake transparency…

Holy crap, T.Q.A is here!

Ok, so I meant Transparency by Hardware, but Thanks for clarifying the "Software" aspect of transparency!