IGNORED

3ds XL in 2021

marc.teeters

Is anybody else noticing these things becoming hard to find? These are going for more than new Switch Lites and the same as Used Switches at my local mom and pa game stores (Roughly $300 USD). They seem to fly off Facebook marketplace anytime they are listed below $200 and that seems to be about where decent ones on Ebay go as well. I'm guessing people are sniping them because gamestop still sells them in the 125-150 range and they are perpetually out of stock. When did these things shoot to the moon?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

They're still very popular and Nintendo slammed the axe on them before they should have because of the hard interest because they didn't want to split the profits and interest with the Switch especially once the lite launched.  Couple that with rampant disgusting behavior during the virus of trolls taking advantage in enough mass to drive prices up across the board and that's where you are with it.

• Like 3

I can't say I'm surprised by this. I scooped a "refurbished" 3DS XL and 2DS XL from Nintendo's site for cheap just before the pandemic hit. Under $200 for a nice condition unit doesn't seem too horrible. The prices on the SNES edition 3DS are insanely high. Such is the video game world these days. 

Jesus $200? $300?? Since when were these so expensive? I remember them selling for $50 all the time. I bought my New 3DS XL that was so lightly used that it was pretty much brand new for the equivalent of around $90, but this was a few years ago, probably around 2016. Thought I’d overpayed back then. 

Edit: checked used prices, and I’m seeing a ton of systems, some even boxed, with a few good games (Pokémon, Kirby, Mario etc) included for under $100. Perhaps Korea wasn’t affected by this whole video game market scam thing?

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 5:51 AM, bluejay said:

Edit: checked used prices, and I’m seeing a ton of systems, some even boxed, with a few good games (Pokémon, Kirby, Mario etc) included for under $100. Perhaps Korea wasn’t affected by this whole video game market scam thing?

I think, since the 3DS is the only region-locked handheld, that the import end of things isn't feeling the pinch. I recently ordered a Japanese system- LL model (the Monster Hunter palico system) with charger, memory card & case, for just over $100 shipped. 

Means I'll have 3 of the things- I was thinking about modding my old midnight purple one for imports, but looking more into it the only real benefit would be saving money- and I didn't want to risk bricking it by doing the mod wrong. Plus, this way I get one with cats on it! ?

• Like 2

NOTHING SELLS FOR CHEAP ANYMORE after years and years on the market..  Everyone thinks everything they own (from video games to blenders to used socks) is worth what they paid for new and/or more.   I think it's a confluence of two things.. The youtube and scalper effect (it's sickening to see people taking pics of every item in flea markets with their phones and looking up prices) and I think people feel it in their bones the financial collapse of the world is pretty much imminent so the only things of any value now ARE actual things and objects?  I don't know.  I should cash out now while the insanity is at these levels.  But then if I sold all my video games I would have nothing left but a dog and a notebook.

ETA- and a big pile of useless cash

Edited by NeonSpaceBeagle
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:57 PM, madman said:

I can't say I'm surprised by this. I scooped a "refurbished" 3DS XL and 2DS XL from Nintendo's site for cheap just before the pandemic hit. Under $200 for a nice condition unit doesn't seem too horrible. The prices on the SNES edition 3DS are insanely high. Such is the video game world these days. 

The New 3DS XL is just going to keep going up.  It's a Nintendo product, it's not made anymore, it was always niche, and it is incredibly unique.  Although the 3D is a gimmick, I think that's ok in the world of retro games - it doesn't need to hold your attention for 100-200 hours, just a few hours and that's enough for most retro gamers.  Further, handhelds don't age well - the controller is built in so they get disgusting quickly and they are often used by kids who treat them horribly.  Keep one of these in mint condition and watch the price skyrocket over the next decade or two.  The challenge is to keep it in good shape while still playing it, because all of these handhelds are hard to care for especially the two screened DS line.

Wow, till last year (pre pandemic) you could still get the thing brand new from Wal-Mart. Hell, I got four of the things, so I stopped looking myself. Games are still widely available new though.

Between the pandemic (I'm stuck at home and want to do...something) and the ugly truth about internet (no, good options are NOT available everywhere) people have gone crazy buying older systems and games.

Still, there's going to be a LOT of regrets. I feel for the idiots buying Mario games for a million plus. No, its not that rare (even in unopened mint condition) the other stuff isn't that insane, but Mario is going to have the market drop hard as people dig out their copy (or three) and toss them on eBay. Remember the 90's and superman? Yeah, like that.

I got lucky when I picked up my New 2DS XL over a year ago.  Right after Christmas they killed it and the rest off, so the remaining store stock got immediately gobbled up by sub human garbage and tossed online for a $50-100 mark up and never retreated...soon the used ones in good but not near perfect shape were $200 which is disgusting.  I got lucky and found one store with a remaining turquoise/black model and grabbed it when I realized what happened which took about a week of searching which utterly sucked.

Whenever this bubble does implode it will be glorious watching people lose their minds over it.  We at other now dead sites used to get pissed at people using the word bubble because it did look like some beanie baby pog action going on in 2012-2013, but little did we know the trolls would ride the wave and keep it going. :(  But from what was an already high and unnatural level of increases in short times that waffled some but relatively plateaued was one thing, and sustainable.  This BS now though is a joke.  It's taking advantage of government handouts, tax refunds, scare tactics from fraudsters taking advantage of uneducated STUPID investors over sealed and particularly graded goods swindling major money.  It's causing a trickle down fallout which is outrageous and unsustainable.

I think the other thing is that these things are very easy to softmod if you have a PC and are good at just following directions 1 step at a time. Like the PSP and Vita you can run all kinds of emulators, but instead of native PS1/PSP/Vita you can get native GBA (Virtual console injections that work with the DS backward compatibility mode to run GBA natively due to the GBA BC still being part of the DS code even though there's no cartridge slot)/DS (boot from SD card)/3DS support plus emulation. The Nintendo side of things is the more popular brand in the handheld scene so I would suspect that a modded 3DS of any type would be more desirable than a modded PSP. And who that uses emulators at all didn't have one of those back in the late 2000s?

Even for Pokemon alone there's a lot you can do with it if you like the series. It is kind of an all in one machine for Pokemon minus the Switch titles of course. You can get Gen 1-7 all playable on the thing and now there's an app for it that lets you move Pokemon across Generations 3 thru 8 without having to use Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Home or the time consuming old cartridge to cartridge transfer methods. You can also copy Pokemon from one game into another instead of moving them so you can still have your completed old file with everything you got in it.

The only thing the team responsible for PKSM doesn't want to bother with is transfers to or from Gen 1 & 2 VC. They said it might work if someone can figure out how to copy what Pokemon Bank does with it to move Gen 1 & 2 Pokemon to Gen 7 but doubt that there would be any luck in porting Pokemon backward into Gen 1 & 2 or forward into Gen 3-6 due to the differences in the ways the stats work. Their app does have an open source offshoot that fans of the project are allowed to work with so they said if a fan figures out how to add a good transfer method that Gen 1 & 2 work with, they could add it to the official release. They just aren't going to put any effort into doing it themselves.

Of course you can still copy your Gen 1, 2 and 3 saves off the 3DS SD card and use a PC converting program PKxDelta to copy the Gen 1 & 2 Pokemon into the Gen 3 games then write the save back onto the 3DS SD card. But it's a bit more of a hassle copying or moving all those saves around. At least gen 3-7 are a bit more smooth now.

You can only connect to the Gen 8 games if you have a modded Switch too though as far as I know. They're supposedly able to talk to each other wirelessly. Not sure if it's directly or if it's over your WiFi. My Switch is still stock so I've never tried it but it sounds like a great solution to whenever the Pokemon Bank servers are gone. Who knows how much longer Pokemon Bank will work.

Edited by TheGameCollector

On 9/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, Tanooki said:

I got lucky when I picked up my New 2DS XL over a year ago.  Right after Christmas they killed it and the rest off, so the remaining store stock got immediately gobbled up by sub human garbage and tossed online for a $50-100 mark up and never retreated...soon the used ones in good but not near perfect shape were $200 which is disgusting.  I got lucky and found one store with a remaining turquoise/black model and grabbed it when I realized what happened which took about a week of searching which utterly sucked.

Whenever this bubble does implode it will be glorious watching people lose their minds over it.  We at other now dead sites used to get pissed at people using the word bubble because it did look like some beanie baby pog action going on in 2012-2013, but little did we know the trolls would ride the wave and keep it going. :(  But from what was an already high and unnatural level of increases in short times that waffled some but relatively plateaued was one thing, and sustainable.  This BS now though is a joke.  It's taking advantage of government handouts, tax refunds, scare tactics from fraudsters taking advantage of uneducated STUPID investors over sealed and particularly graded goods swindling major money.  It's causing a trickle down fallout which is outrageous and unsustainable.

absolutely.  i really have to get off my ass though and start unloading my stuff.  i'm going to be so lazy and kick myself in the ass this time next year.

5 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

absolutely.  i really have to get off my ass though and start unloading my stuff.  i'm going to be so lazy and kick myself in the ass this time next year.

I have been, starting to get semi-close to what you can get away with for the final tax year this year before rates change.  I'm asking less for stuff and primarily shooting for trades as I'm not paying taxes on personal property I've owned for years, screw this current government for sneaking that filth in last March. >:\  Get rid of what you can now or you'll be paying to get rid of it in part next year unless you go to all cash, which I will, no digital, no checks.

I've offloaded quite a lot, trying to get to where it's like I know I want to keep it level stuff.  My neighborhood should be this weekend doing the last community yard sale, I may make the poachers happy one last time this year.  I figure anything I can't pop for $10 or so on ebay is going out on a table... games, toys, whatever.  It'll end up a feeding frenzy if I do it.

Yeah, so livid about that sneaky tax thing too.  Someone told me that you really only have to pay taxes on your sales if you are selling items for MORE than you paid for them.  You truly can just lie and say you bought all this old crap when they first came out years and years and years ago, there's no expectation of receipts being kept for that long.  This is if you get audited.  Please people, do not pay taxes on these things.  You won't get in trouble.   It's disgusting what they did.

That technically is correct, but how can you prove it?  The gov't knows that, so they get you.

Like anyone is neurotic enough to keep every single receipt of anything they ever bought so when they turn it around they can drive the tax man nuts showing they got it in 1989 for $50 an sold the cart for $40, so they took a $10 loss.  Yeah...NO.  Sure you can lie, but they see a fat stack (few K or more) out of nowhere, and catch it, you'll get a request...then an audit, and owe hard.

My neighborhood has a garage sale going in the morning, I'm thinking of taking my sub $10 ebay crap and anything else I'm not in love with on my shelves and setting up a folding table outside for just a couple hours at best in the morning, first come, first very happy.  Probably ask 1/3 to 1/2 the going rate on the stuff, the items they are, they'll know.  Rather do that, than put up with it further.

• Like 1

I actually have a lot of my old Game Crazy, Target, Fred Meyer, Wal Mart, CEX, Best Buy, Pink Gorilla and Gamestop receipts in a file cabinet folder. My grandpa started saving the receipts for the ones he bought at Game Crazy so when I moved I took all of them with me and kept adding to it. It sucks how the ink wears off on a lot of them these days though. You really need to use a scanner on them if you want to keep a record. It's probably better to just keep scans of them and throw the original paper away.

Of course for used games, using old receipts is probably less helpful because most games used to be a lot cheaper back then than they are now, unless you're talking about not long after they came out.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:50 PM, Tanooki said:

My neighborhood has a garage sale going in the morning, I'm thinking of taking my sub $10 ebay crap and anything else I'm not in love with on my shelves and setting up a folding table outside for just a couple hours at best in the morning, first come, first very happy.

I have reached the point that I just donate unwanted stuff to Goodwill or another local organization. This has included sealed PS 2 games and a CIB (albeit not working) ColecoVision game console -- along with piles of books, clothing, kitchenware, etc. 

Having a garage sale is impractical given that I live in an apartment building (though my landlord has allowed other tenants to do so before) and, based on previous experience, I will just not sell enough to justify the time and effort expended.  

I could see that.

I got a box of stuff I'll probably add to.  I got a couple days yet.  I mean it's not going to cost me anything but looking at other garage sales, and honestly if they're not neighborhood wide or obviously WOW(rare) I don't bother as it's a waste of my time, money, gas to bother.  I figure anything sub$9-10 range I have in the room I'm uncaring about, games, toys, plush, books, whatever... stuff em on a table and just sit there and play on my phone.

I've taken boxes of stuff to goodwill, but given how they think they're ebay and roast the locals these days, fuck em.  If it's something my half price books will take in I'd rather get 10-20% value and have it sit there with a little credit in my pocket.