Dave C

Legendary Spear - homebrew WIP

Update: check the GitHub Page for latest binaries and code.

This is a Stampede-like side scroller I've been working on off and on, finally made a push to kind of bring it all together. Comments appreciated. Since I've only ever run it on Stella and Javatari kind of wondering if it actually works on real hardware... 

thanks

Update 2021-09-11: added gameplay tweaks, and basic sound

ls.png

LegendarySpear_NTSC.bin LegendarySpear_PAL60.bin LegendarySpear.asm

Edited by Dave C
latest binaries
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Dave C said:

Comments appreciated.

PAL color version please 🙂

grafik.thumb.png.38dfea572a6721c03a99ac18265cfaa2.png

3 hours ago, Dave C said:

Since I've only ever run it on Stella and Javatari kind of wondering if it actually works on real hardware... 

Except for the colors it works fine on my PAL 2600JR with PlusCart (thanks to @Prizrak for uploading it).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

PAL color version please 🙂

Nice. I'll work that into the build. I had thought maybe I'd have to do more than change the colors, but if it works this way even better.

11 hours ago, Dave C said:

Nice. I'll work that into the build. I had thought maybe I'd have to do more than change the colors, but if it works this way even better.

To make a PAL50 version many changes should be done but luckily almost all not very old CRT TVs and all LCD TVs supports the much better PAL60, that keeps NTSC speed.

Only colors values needs to be converted.

Therefore nowadays almost all homebrews use PAL60.

3 hours ago, Philsan said:

Therefore nowadays almost all homebrews use PAL60.

Ah, I didn't realize PAL60 was a thing, very interesting. I could potentially do PAL50 in a cheap way by making the horizon at the top of the screen bigger. Potentially I could do something more substantial like make the playfield bigger and/or adjust timing but timing is already a little weird, and changing the graphics / adding riders could run me up against RAM/ROM limits (currently using almost all of both).

I've updated the post with NTSC and PAL60 versions. Github repo is here: https://github.com/DChristianson/legendary-spear

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice! I really like this so far and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop. I have a couple of suggestions. First, vary the point value of the enemies, making faster ones worth more. Second, if those big rock things are supposed to be stationary objects you're riding past, they should move at the same speed when there are more than one on screen.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:27 AM, KaeruYojimbo said:

First, vary the point value of the enemies, making faster ones worth more. Second, if those big rock things are supposed to be stationary objects you're riding past, they should move at the same speed when there are more than one on screen.

Those are really good ideas.

Just pushed a new version that adjusts the point values as well as the damage.  Also messing with having the rocks be ... almost the same speed. They now move at a speed based on where they are on the screen vertically, trying to go for kind of a parallax effect. 

Big problem now is I'm right at the limit for 2k. I'm sure I can squeeze more out of it but I'm starting to feel a little caged in. I didn't start with the intention of making a 2k game but now I feel compelled...

https://github.com/DChristianson/legendary-spear/releases/tag/v0.8.1

Edited by Dave C
  • Like 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Legendary Spear on tomorrow's (Tue Sep 14, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day!

Games:

(WATCH IN 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)