IGNORED

WHY DOES POWERPAINT DO THIS?

jblenkle

Not sure what you're expecting here, but the ADAM only has 15 different colors, and only three "non-color" colors, namely black, white and gray, and the gray happens to be very close to white. If you submit a picture with too many shades of grey, it's going to start using other colors like blue to "simulate" darker shades of grey, and yellows/greens for lighter shades of grey where grey and white are too light to match.

What you need is a picture converter that does dithering. Not sure if that exists on the ADAM.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 5:12 AM, Pixelboy said:

Not sure what you're expecting here, but the ADAM only has 15 different colors, and only three "non-color" colors, namely black, white and gray, and the gray happens to be very close to white. If you submit a picture with too many shades of grey, it's going to start using other colors like blue to "simulate" darker shades of grey, and yellows/greens for lighter shades of grey where grey and white are too light to match.

What you need is a picture converter that does dithering. Not sure if that exists on the ADAM.

BMP2PP has dithering settings, but I'm not 100% sure exactly what "dithering" does. I have lowered the default settings to get rid of garbage in color pictures, but I'm not sure what this would do for black and white pictures.

And yes, I has hoping for different shapes of gray, not just black, white and one shade of gray. But I gather from other responses on Facebook that this just isn't possible.

you can not have shade of gray on ADAM.  There is only one gray.

But will BMP2PP ,  make sure to select the ADAM Palette (not the colecovision one,  not the msx one and not the Black&White one)

in dithering method choose "both passes"

then start the conversion .

The result should something like that the attached image.

If you choose "black & white" as palette, you will have a better result in the tool but it WON'T work on ADAM because it is for a different VDP version that the ADAM does not have.

chevalpp.PNG

On 9/8/2021 at 9:54 AM, youki said:

But will BMP2PP ,  make sure to select the ADAM Palette (not the colecovision one,  not the msx one and not the Black&White one)

If you choose "black & white" as palette, you will have a better result in the tool but it WON'T work on ADAM because it is for a different VDP version that the ADAM does not have.

chevalpp.PNG

Thanks for that info...I will have to experiment more...

3 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Thanks for that info...I will have to experiment more...

chevalpp.PNG

My BMP2PP doesn't have those palette options...it has:

* Original

* V9938

* Original/black and white

*V9938/black and white

chevalpp.PNG

OK, this is kind of discouraging after all the work I've been doing on these. I've been using v1.0 of BMP2PP. I just discovered there is a v1.1 and there is a distinct difference in the quality it produces.

8 hours ago, jblenkle said:

OK, this is kind of discouraging after all the work I've been doing on these. I've been using v1.0 of BMP2PP. I just discovered there is a v1.1 and there is a distinct difference in the quality it produces.

It’s the “Fun of Discovery” that Coleco loved to use in their game manuals especially when mixing old and modern platforms to get the job done.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:35 AM, NIAD said:

It’s the “Fun of Discovery” that Coleco loved to use in their game manuals especially when mixing old and modern platforms to get the job done.

Actually, the improved quality only extends to the preview picture. The actual quality of the finished PP picture isn't that much better and is probably due to the BMP2PP Dithering settings which are set slightly different in v1.1 than I have them set in v1.0.