IGNORED

loosing to mother nature, again.

nolram

Just wanted to vent a little, When Sandy hit back in 2012  I lost all of my collection. My original TI 99/4a ( my first computer), my Atari 65xe, and 520st. As well as my Apple computers the LCII,..... Along with my  NES and Genesis collections.

I began to collect again by buying broken systems and repairing them, and this time my collection would be upstairs in my converted closet. I keep my working computers, the everyday systems, but I kept my box collections as well as my next repair systems in my work lab downstairs. So another storm and another disaster and now my boxed collections are gone. My precious TI 99/4a with all the original manuals and leaflets are gone destroyed the Commodore 64's are gone as is my Coleco ADAM, COCO II, Dragon, and a Mattel Aquarius. The upside is I have health, the family is safe, and my working systems are upstairs.  Again I just wanted to speak to folks who understand this hobby and how much it hurts to have these setbacks in the quest of preservation.

.IMG_20210902_071604673.thumb.jpg.3422a7aaa6fbb43610b6f64223938d96.jpgIMG_20210902_071554750.thumb.jpg.bf71042a52297299fdab0038eed670aa.jpgIMG_20201206_152038382_HDR.thumb.jpg.48fbd655e9f0a1c9a7104340cccd98fe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

Update: The phrase "they don't build them like they used to" is so true. I was able to power up my COCO's II, TI 99/4a, IBM PC ps/2 and a think pad. Still waiting to get an arcade power supply to test my Coleco Adam. My C64's where not working prior, so not sure how much more damage they have( they where my last projects).  Stuff not working and going to the recycle center can be summed up as anything from the 2010 onward.

I also lost two CRT's, my soldering station, bench top power supply, oscilloscope, variety of arduinos, raspberry pi's and some repair components.

• Like 3

I lost about half of my PS1 collection in a flood in the early 2000's, which sucks as I had a bunch of games complete including PaRappa and Einhander. Was a good reminder to check the back of my cabinets; they'd been stuck at the back and not visible until you look for them, which clearly I didn't in the rush to get stuff up as water was pouring in. 

I use the water protection CD cases for many many years now, since many cd consoles use standard jewel case I brough them for each one just in case. There are also DVD box size versions supposed to keep water out as well as other problems.

I use electronic safe seal containers, the kind that dont have heavy dust and are hard to knock open even if you hit the ground with it. After a major hurricane long ago I do all this. Now it's hard to find the CD and DVD box case protection as few sell it but you may find something online.

On 9/11/2021 at 2:18 AM, Keatah said:

Any of the damaged stuff usable for spare parts?

Not really, laptops and desktops the boards had way more corrosion than I would of expected. I pulled some of the CPU's, memory sticks and some of the cables. I lost a lot of hard drives, including a few scsi's. Looking into getting some storage space, or even a small office spot. Where I can set up my repair station again.

7 hours ago, James Vontor said:

I use the water protection CD cases for many many years now, since many cd consoles use standard jewel case I brough them for each one just in case. There are also DVD box size versions supposed to keep water out as well as other problems.

I use electronic safe seal containers, the kind that dont have heavy dust and are hard to knock open even if you hit the ground with it. After a major hurricane long ago I do all this. Now it's hard to find the CD and DVD box case protection as few sell it but you may find something online.

I though my stuff was high enough, but I got 4 feet of water in there.  Even my "water proof" containers had water in them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/11/2021 at 2:31 AM, GoldLeader said:

Damn!  That is so rough!  Do you live in Louisiana?

I'm in New Jersey, we never expected this. News kept saying 2 inches of rain in my area. It was 3 inches an hour that we ended up getting. A few towns over they have many people die in their basement apartments. as the water just rushed in.

• Sad 2

On 9/6/2021 at 1:10 AM, nolram said:

The upside is I have health, the family is safe, and my working systems are upstairs.

Health and family can't be replaced, but systems can.  Glad the important stuff is taken care of.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:10 AM, nolram said:

Again I just wanted to speak to folks who understand this hobby and how much it hurts to have these setbacks in the quest of preservation.

To commiserate: in 2002, a burst water main above my storage unit took out a bunch of printed material, arcade PCBs, computers, and other stuff I had in there.  The rule after that became no cardboard and everything in plastic tubs.

You very much have my sympathies on this one: what it's like to rebuild after a catastrophic loss can't be adequately described.

• Like 2