IGNORED

ColecoVision's Hardware vs. SG-1000's hardware

Both. Sega had a deal with Coleco to publish in 82. Then I think Turbo came out in 83 same year but before Sg-1000 came out, or near the same time.

They also got a lesser port for the Intellivision.

Turbo did not come out on the SG-1000.

Sega was aware of CV hardware and popularity. They created a near clone from off shelf parts and brought it to Japan expecting to imitate the CV reception.

Ironically unlike Coleco, Sega shunned third parties in Japan. Which basically screwed Sega over until the Saturn. It also gave Nintendo pretty much nearly all the jp developers on console. Only NEC would challenge that 4 years later.

I think everyone in the industry was aware of the Texas Instruments graphics chip since they were pushing it to manufacturers since 1978.  Even the Famicom ppu was based on the technology in the TI chip.  At least Nintendo knew to advance something that was already several years old.

Edit:

And Sega didn't really publish cartridges for Colecovision.  Sega arcade games like Zaxxon and Turbo were licensed to Coleco just as Nintendo and others licensed their arcade games.  Coleco developed and published these cartridges.  The Famicom and SG1000 didn't have lockout chips or a third party licensing model.  Third party publishers in Japan went with whatever platform established a large install base, without restrictions.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I read somewhere that SEGA, like Coleco, used off-the-shelf components to build their console. That's why there was a lot of similar hardware at the time, like MSX. So not that they deliberately copied it, but rather used Coleco's idea to build their hardware as a basis, as they didn't have much idea what kind of home video game to build, unlike Nintendo (read Yamauchi) who knew exactly what kind of hardware they wanted to build.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:28 AM, mr_me said:

And Sega didn't really publish cartridges for Colecovision.  Sega arcade games like Zaxxon and Turbo were licensed to Coleco just as Nintendo and others licensed their arcade games.  Coleco developed and published these cartridges.

Except for Up 'n Down, which was published by Sega on the ColecoVision. It was released at the very end of the ColecoVision's life, so if it hadn't been for the Crash of '84, Sega would probably have published a few more on the platform.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/9/2023 at 7:01 PM, Marcos Moutta said:

Sorry for the 2 year necromancy but this goes against what every single retro gaming youtuber says 🤣 do you have a source?

In my research, what I found was that Sega didn't want to use third parties on the SG-1000, but envisioned the possibility when she realized that games define a console. But when they had this lighting, Nintendo had already cooperated most of the third parties and applied their exclusivity contract.

Sega's departure, especially at the time of Sega Mark III/Master System, went to license the games and herself to make the versions. But they didn't have enough teams. While Nintendo launched piles of games to Sega was for the way.
Sega learned the lesson and focused a lot on third parties during the Mega Drive/Genesis era.

• 9 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2023 at 7:01 PM, Marcos Moutta said:

Sorry for the 2 year necromancy but this goes against what every single retro gaming youtuber says 🤣 do you have a source?

The history are in book "Beyond Donkey Kong: A History of Nintendo Arcade Games" from the page 75. The history is in https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/09/feature_how_colecovision_became_the_king_of_kong too.

Sorry, but the most youtubers do research with little or no depth. Of all I watched, little goes into a deeper survey crossing several sources.

Edited by Ricardo Cividanes da Silva

Last year, I learned that Sega had ongoing plans to make a home computer, the SC-3000 when they found out that Nintendo was about to release a video game console, and reworked the SC-3000 hardware (which indeed origins from the same reference platform as the ColecoVision, Sord M5 etc) into a console of their own, to be launched at the exact same day as the Famicom. Actually the SC-3000 was launched at the same time.

22 hours ago, carlsson said:

Last year, I learned that Sega had ongoing plans to make a home computer, the SC-3000 when they found out that Nintendo was about to release a video game console, and reworked the SC-3000 hardware (which indeed origins from the same reference platform as the ColecoVision, Sord M5 etc) into a console of their own, to be launched at the exact same day as the Famicom. Actually the SC-3000 was launched at the same time.

It's true. Initially SEGA was developing the SC-3000 computer.  They relied on off-the-shelf parts.