IGNORED

Stained SNES PCB - is this normal?

Zuluop

15 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

If it works fine I wouldn't worry about it. Though I would change the battery.

Yeah I would like to change the battery (on several SNES games) but it has been 30 years since I used a soldering iron. So what would i need to buy aside from the correct battery of course? Links to specific items would be great.

(Note: The plan is to practice soldering first before doing it on the actual SNES PCBs)

Thanks in advance :)

13 minutes ago, Zuluop said:

Yeah you are probably right - should I remove it with 99% isopropyl alcohol?

I don't know. I've never dealt with it. I just know that it exists, my SuperGrafx's motherboard is covered in it, and that's probably what it is. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not, but I should probably clean my SuperGrafx motherboard.

I agree to leave it as is. I've had plenty of PCB boards (including Genesis boards, SNES, and TG16) boards that have had that residue on it as well. I tried cleaning the Genesis board with alcohol and it caused a permanet white residue to show up and it made it look even worse. 

I use a rather cheap soldering iron for replacing CMOS batteries and it works great. Here is a link to it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=soldering+iron&qid=1631207349&refinements=p_72%3A1248909011&rnid=1248907011&s=hi&sr=1-29

28 minutes ago, Jettgogaming said:

I agree to leave it as is. I've had plenty of PCB boards (including Genesis boards, SNES, and TG16) boards that have had that residue on it as well. I tried cleaning the Genesis board with alcohol and it caused a permanet white residue to show up and it made it look even worse. 

I use a rather cheap soldering iron for replacing CMOS batteries and it works great. Here is a link to it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=soldering+iron&qid=1631207349&refinements=p_72%3A1248909011&rnid=1248907011&s=hi&sr=1-29

Great thanks - what else is needed aside from the battery pack? What kind of tin is needed and if anything else?
Thanks again.