Jump to content
Zuluop

Stained SNES PCB - is this normal?

Recommended Posts

Just bought this (see attachments) SNES cart off eBay. However opening the cartridge revealed a stained backside of the PCB. Any idea if this is normal or have you seen this before?

as you can see the front side of the PCB looks good. 
 

Thanks ūüôā

D41E41D9-57D8-47E5-8EAB-79061B0B9EB5.jpeg

85EE40E6-3549-4396-9824-0889E59D5964.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it works fine I wouldn't worry about it. Though I would change the battery.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

If it works fine I wouldn't worry about it. Though I would change the battery.

Yeah I would like to change the battery (on several SNES games) but it has been 30 years since I used a soldering iron. So what would i need to buy aside from the correct battery of course? Links to specific items would be great.


(Note: The plan is to practice soldering first before doing it on the actual SNES PCBs)

 

Thanks in advance :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Probably flux residue.

Yeah you are probably right - should I remove it with 99% isopropyl alcohol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zuluop said:

Yeah you are probably right - should I remove it with 99% isopropyl alcohol?

I don't know. I've never dealt with it. I just know that it exists, my SuperGrafx's motherboard is covered in it, and that's probably what it is. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not, but I should probably clean my SuperGrafx motherboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree to leave it as is. I've had plenty of PCB boards (including Genesis boards, SNES, and TG16) boards that have had that residue on it as well. I tried cleaning the Genesis board with alcohol and it caused a permanet white residue to show up and it made it look even worse. 

 

I use a rather cheap soldering iron for replacing CMOS batteries and it works great. Here is a link to it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=soldering+iron&qid=1631207349&refinements=p_72%3A1248909011&rnid=1248907011&s=hi&sr=1-29

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jettgogaming said:

I agree to leave it as is. I've had plenty of PCB boards (including Genesis boards, SNES, and TG16) boards that have had that residue on it as well. I tried cleaning the Genesis board with alcohol and it caused a permanet white residue to show up and it made it look even worse. 

 

I use a rather cheap soldering iron for replacing CMOS batteries and it works great. Here is a link to it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=soldering+iron&qid=1631207349&refinements=p_72%3A1248909011&rnid=1248907011&s=hi&sr=1-29

 

Great thanks - what else is needed aside from the battery pack? What kind of tin is needed and if anything else?
Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never bother with battery holders in my cartridge games. When would you even change the battery next? In 25 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I never bother with battery holders in my cartridge games. When would you even change the battery next? In 25 years?

Nah I came to the same conclusion :) Would rather re-solder in 25 years if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah and with a battery holder there is a chance the battery would come loose and you lose your save data.

47 minutes ago, Zuluop said:

Nah I came to the same conclusion :) Would rather re-solder in 25 years if needed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Yeah and with a battery holder there is a chance the battery would come loose and you lose your save data.

 

Would you solder with lead or without lead in the tin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Either should work.

Hehe ok, since it has been 25 years since I last did it I might as well use lead free tin even though it may be more difficult :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...