IGNORED

Aquarium (screen animation)

rsiddall

Another AD screensaver module in the works!

I looked at Chris Read's "pet fish" code to see how to create random directions and customized it to make mine behave more like the screensaver. 

EDIT: Titlescreen/Last version can be found in first post (here.)

FTP_Aquarium2021.bin

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, CrazyChris said:

Love it!

Cool...thanks! I've still working on adding a few more things.

Need to free up some space as I'm trying to make these 4K. Maybe I'll get around to putting them all on a cart at some point.

Edited by rsiddall

On 9/9/2021 at 7:56 PM, atari2600land said:

Glad my code was useful to someone. The crab goes off the ocean floor sometimes, though:

Aquarium-AD.thumb.png.1071215e362973ebd0326a178424f548.png

You may want to look into using PF0 so this doesn't happen.

Yes, your code was a godsend as I was trying to make their movements more random and not as predictable...glad you approve!!

When I was laying everything out initially, I was basing it on the attached photo (ocean floor doesn't run edge to edge):

download.jpg.a875ee946e87a832c7608bc907b0ec01.jpg

I figured my playfield wouldn't go all the way to the edges, so I was covered.

I have the sea creatures warping from either side and appearing on the other with a smooth transition. But thinking I might play around with PF0=$FF - thanks for the suggestion!! 

Right now, I'm using the ball as the bubbles and "cheating" by having my PF rows alternating $0E (white) to create a blinking bubble rising up. PF0 doesn't play well with this choice apparently and they show up when I use it.

If it works, I could leave the sound in and just not worry about the bubbles being visible. Creature would "exit" from each side and reappear on the other.

Edited by rsiddall

Quick update:

1). Updated the yellow fish to resemble screensaver more closely.

2). Updated crab colors (same reason). Better crab animation added.

3). Slowed the blinking on seafloor.

PF0 won't work with my current set-up. ?  Unexpected color bands show up in the playfield.

I may look at playfield collision and reversing players if it helps with aesthetics. The only thing I don't like about that is moving the crab off the seafloor.

aquarium-AD8.bin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TrekMD said:

It looks really good.  It would be nice if the issue with the crabs can be fixed in some way.  :)

Thank you! See if the attached is more to your liking:

1. AD1=sea creatures will move offscreen right/left (original)

2. AD2=sea creatures will stay within the screen limits (won't leave screen)

Fire button will act as "reset" switch.

PF0 - best I could do with PF0 (extending the sea floor) but there is a gap on right side and I sacrifice strobing floor and bubble animation.

PF_Best.thumb.jpg.58d8427bbb44c54d8ad2d6f088eaa542.jpg

Aquarium-AD1.bin Aquarium-AD2.bin

• Like 2

Great! I may add a title screen at some point...otherwise this is probably close to final version.

Check-out my next AD screensaver here:

I guess I should note that I can't guarantee these will work to prevent screen burn-in. Doubting most people leave them running on fancy OLED TVs. I believe the original AD screensavers were also guilty of this.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Try adding this to the code: pfhline 0 9 31 on. That should give you a line stretching from the end of the right of PF0 to the left of the other PF0.

I didn't realize you could do that - thanks for suggesting! Let me play around with it and see what happens (at work currently). ?

18 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Try adding this to the code: pfhline 0 9 31 on. That should give you a line stretching from the end of the right of PF0 to the left of the other PF0.

Got it working with "pfhline 0 10 31 on". Had to sacrifice the bubbles...everything else works.

This version (with seafloor going left to right and creatures crossing) is attached...thank you atari2600land!

aquarium-AD10.bin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rsiddall said:

Got it working with "pfhline 0 10 31 on". Had to sacrifice the bubbles...everything else works.

This version (with seafloor going left to right and creatures crossing) is attached...thank you atari2600land!

aquarium-AD10.bin 4 kB · 5 downloads

?