IGNORED

My home arcade

Andromeda Stardust

On 9/9/2021 at 9:33 AM, Andromeda Stardust said:

I wish they made the volcano style drop ins for p1/p2.

Why not write an accessory company asking for a template or mounting insert that provides the proper hole size? Mmm.. but then what about the spacing between the volcano base and the artwork? How would that look.. Or maybe just ask for a volcano with the right base size - though I only seen one size.

Or maybe mount a volcano in a partly disassembled button already there..? Just rambling on!

Edited by Keatah

12 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Why not write an accessory company asking for a template or mounting insert that provides the proper hole size? Mmm.. but then what about the spacing between the volcano base and the artwork? How would that look.. Or maybe just asked for a volcano with the right base size - though I only seen one size.

Or maybe mount a volcano in a partly disassembled button already there..? Just rambling on!

This. take the plunger out of an existing button leaving behind the button bezel. wire the volcano button to the appropriate port, and then superglue the button seated inside the hollowed out button bezel.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

This. take the plunger out of an existing button leaving behind the button bezel. wire the volcano button to the appropriate port, and then superglue the button seated inside the hollowed out button bezel.

The volcano buttons can be mounted on button hole plugs with a bit of dremel work. Believe me i thought this out. It still $35 for a pair of replica volcano buttons though...

Edited by Andromeda Stardust
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andromeda Stardust said:

This looks so slick though. I still wanna stick volcano buttons and a real coin door on my 1up legacy tempest

do it. Coin Doors are cheap. The X-Arcade ones are solidly made. But I would suggest you get a pre-cut kick-plate with the thicker backer piece to replace the original one.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Vector emulation on LCD is more than playable, just not as nice looking (variable beam intensity/brightness).

The variability, maybe. The brightness and bloom, no trouble. I did spend some time tweaking M.A.M.E.'s GLSL/HLSL/BGFX stuffage to get a nice glow going on a quality IPS gaming monitor.

The real problem with original arcade games is the size/weight/portability. When you add in the maintenance headaches of 40+ yeara old CRTS, system boards, and power supplies - it's just not worth it for the average classic gamer. then put on top of that most 40 year old cabinets are flat out disgusting to work on, and really need the exterior panels to be completely rebuilt due to wood rot/staining/mold/pests - yuck. no thanks.

I only owned a couple of cabs way way in the past. As soon as minor technical difficulties started cropping up I got all flustered and said fuckit. I sold them off. Sometime later around 2012'ish I hauled in this sagging Cinematronics abomination. Took two guys to shove it up into the truck. Thing was not only rickety rackety the bottom wood was squishy like a fat kid's wet PFs. You could push it one way and it'd stay, then back again.

I had no intention of doing anything with it other than take out the boards for parts. Was dated from 1977 or 1978. It had the older logic chips and other stuff. So I wanted those. In the process the whole shebang collapsed. I couldn't even give it away.

Which is why the hardcore cabinet collector scene often trends towards the ultra-obsessive, snobby, exclusion-types.

Yes I've observed this trait more often than not in cab collectors. Sometimes they can be bunched in with other undesirables.

• Like 3

On 9/17/2021 at 1:10 PM, Keatah said:

Has any arcade game ever filtered the hi-score names/initials? I don't know about today's games however. But back then they didn't.

There were others, but the only two I can think of off the top of my head were Bubble Bobble and Thayer's Quest.

Bubble Bobble changed 'SEX' to 'H.!', which unlocked...  Something I'm also not remembering.  Thayer's Quest had an entire vocabulary of words it wouldn't let the player enter for their name, since the name was spoken at various points throughout the game.  There is a hacked ROM set that skips the naughty word check, permitting players to be addressed as 'boobs' or whatever else takes their fancy.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2021 at 2:57 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

do it. Coin Doors are cheap. The X-Arcade ones are solidly made. But I would suggest you get a pre-cut kick-plate with the thicker backer piece to replace the original one.

There is a support brace ill have to partially route out if i get the coin door. I bought one for the miss pac cab and there is something surreal about plinking quarters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1