TandyVision

Why isn;t there a pinned update topic on where the Amico is?

I feel like I have to go hunting for info on updates as to release. Maybe I missed the thread, but shouldn't it be pinned to the "Intellivision Amico" board? 

• Like 3

The Amico is stuck in manufacturing limbo.  The first question in the FAQ on their website addresses the release.

They haven't released an official list of Amico games but the second thing on their website home page is a "see our games" link to a youtube page that lists thirty Amico games that are expected around the release of the console.

• Like 1

I don't know how in tune anyone is with the news lately (I try to limit it now...) but Nissan just slashed their production in half due to massive chip shortages... Ford is having all kinds of issues and has lots full of completed F-150/250/350's sitting waiting for ECM PCBs that need specific chips.  

So this isn't just effecting the Amico...

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 1

Just now, ashtonm said:

Problem is it's going to take years before any of this improves. How long can they wait?

Well... it all depends on the chip type, and requirements to build.  I mean, they're still making a lot of other stuff.  No one really knows though.   Obviously the focus will be on the larger shortage markets, but if the Amico uses similar chipsets to regular PC's, Laptops, Mac's... etc... it will go along for the ride. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

The Amico is stuck in manufacturing limbo.  The first question in the FAQ on their website addresses the release.

They haven't released an official list of Amico games but the second thing on their website home page is a "see our games" link to a youtube page that lists thirty Amico games that are expected around the release of the console.

I looked around on the Intellivision home page and FAQ and couldn't find this link you mention.  I even went on their youtube page and couldn't find the list of 30 games you mention.  Do you have a link you could share so I can check this out?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

I don't know how in tune anyone is with the news lately (I try to limit it now...) but Nissan just slashed their production in half due to massive chip shortages... Ford is having all kinds of issues and has lots full of completed F-150/250/350's sitting waiting for ECM PCBs that need specific chips.  

So this isn't just effecting the Amico...

Here is the thing, I believe there are chip shortages, but because these come from China, I have to ask why this continues to be a problem because the news paints a picture of China like they have this infection rate in their country under control and people have resumed working production again.  If this is true, and I question that it isn't, then you would think production of the said chips would be ramped up by now?

• Like 2

Even if production has returned, the backlog of demand is just as much part of the problem.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Even if production has returned, the backlog of demand is just as much part of the problem.

There are lots of unfinished components of the Amico that have nothing to do with chips, and we don't have clear answers on what's going on there either.  I agree with OP, a pinned thread would be helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

Here is the thing, I believe there are chip shortages, but because these come from China, I have to ask why this continues to be a problem because the news paints a picture of China like they have this infection rate in their country under control and people have resumed working production again.  If this is true, and I question that it isn't, then you would think production of the said chips would be ramped up by now?

I agree... something is odd about the whole thing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

I looked around on the Intellivision home page and FAQ and couldn't find this link you mention.  I even went on their youtube page and couldn't find the list of 30 games you mention.  Do you have a link you could share so I can check this out?

See Our Games: 

FAQ: https://intellivision.com/faq

11 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

The cause is trade war as well as a war for 5G dominance. The US government has blocked Huawei from using US technology and US equipment to manufacture chips. Because of this, Huawei's HiSilicon can't produce its Kirin chipset anymore. Huawei is developing its own technology to bypass American IP, but it will take several years before this happens. SMIC was also partially hit with sanctions, limiting its production. I believe a third Chinese chipmaker was also hit with sanctions, but I don't remember its name.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:12 PM, TandyVision said:

I feel like I have to go hunting for info on updates as to release. Maybe I missed the thread, but shouldn't it be pinned to the "Intellivision Amico" board? 

Maybe try starting one? The the current launch is hopefully before end of year. So December, 31, 2021.

Has anyone checked to see if certifications are done? I think they should be in production right around now if they plan to hit December.

• Like 4

On 9/11/2021 at 7:59 AM, mr_me said:

Turnaround time is much shorter if they manufacture in North America.  

Ah so they have the parts and certs done?

If they had the parts they'd be talking about manufacturing.  Paying the prices for the parts and taking a loss per unit is a business decision they have to make.  The numbers have to work.

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

If they had the parts they'd be talking about manufacturing.  Paying the prices for the parts and taking a loss per unit is a business decision they have to make.  The numbers have to work.

This is why a pinned thread would be handy.  

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, godslabrat said:

This is why a pinned thread would be handy.  

Yup not having parts would really mess with that turnaround time. :P

Maybe you could start one?

So has anyone seen if certifications have made it to the site?

Edited by MrBeefy
Certification

They can pass FCC certification tests but there's no reason to file with the FCC until they have to.

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

They can pass FCC certification tests but there's no reason to file with the FCC until they have to.

So that's a no? I would say the reason to file is to be done with it. If you've passed there's no reason not to, unless you like doing things last minute. Kind of how the Boomers announcement was last minute. Getting things done shows progress. I'm sure the guy looking for parts isn't the guy to submit the apps. 60 people work there and one of them can't be bothered to submit that they passed? 

Anyway, going back to manufacturing in the US. Did they buy the parts from the US or China? That will cut into the turnaround if the parts need to be shipped from China to then be manufactured in the US.

Isn't manufacturing in the US crazy expensive compared to China? If money is the issue it really seems that just buying the parts at a higher price and manufacturing in China would "save" them money. Even if you manufacture in the US you still have to buy the parts at a higher price and also ship them to the US, then manufacture at the higher price, then ship again. I don't see where manufacturing in the US will save them anything.

• Thanks 1

North America could mean Mexico, but I agree it seems like it's too expensive to consider.  However, both the CEO and CFO have talked about it as an option.  Maybe it has to do with small volume production for a soft launch, that China is just not an option for that currently.  The CFO talked about using multiple options for manufacturing.  They haven't decided on anything yet.

As far as holding off filing with FCC, maybe they don't want certain details shared publicly until later.  Maybe, there's a chance parts supply causes an engineering change requiring retesting.  Even if they are ready to manufacture today, it will be a while before they start shipping.  There's really no urgency to file with FCC.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

North America could mean Mexico, but I agree it seems like it's too expensive to consider.  However, both the CEO and CFO have talked about it as an option.  Maybe it has to do with small volume production for a soft launch, that China is just not an option for that currently.  The CFO talked about using multiple options for manufacturing.  They haven't decided on anything yet.

As far as holding off filing with FCC, maybe they don't want certain details shared publicly until later.  Maybe, there's a chance parts supply causes an engineering change requiring retesting.  Even if they are ready to manufacture today, it will be a while before they start shipping.  There's really no urgency to file with FCC.

Maybe the Amico runs on cold fusion and communicates with space Aliens. That would mean they'd have to make changes! Forget the FCC, they're small potatoes compared to space aliens!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3