IGNORED

8-Bit Pre Production Games Joust and Pole Position

swlovinist

Here are some pics of two recent carts I picked up for the Atari 8-bit.   These are pre production carts that appear to be finals, but wanted to share them here.   Hope you enjoy!  

Joust 8 Bit Pre Production.JPG

Pole Position 8 bit Pre Production.JPG

Joust 8-bit Pre Production.bin Pole Position Atari 8-bit US.bin

Edited by swlovinist
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would imagine that the process of porting from the 5200 to the computers would sometimes require several iterations to get the parts that differ, i.e. joystick/keyboard input, "just right". Maybe the joystick controls are the only area not yet finalized in this proto? Maybe there's a minor difference, such as the pause key not working sometimes?

Edited by Kr0tki

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2022 at 5:18 PM, et4u said:

Hi

I am new on here, trying to find out information on Atari 800 cartridge's that has a white label marked

1st Article, few with ENG. SMPL , REV A,

Does anyone know what are the meanings of these games, thanks for your help

ENG. SMPL. == Engineering Sample.

Given that the Defender cartridge is marked '1st Sample', that suggests that it may have been a pre-production cartridge sent back to Atari from Signetics, who may have been contracted to do some or all of the manufacturing.  This cartridge would have been used to determine if any changes were needed before it went into full-scale production.

Although the Eastern Front cartridge isn't marked as a first sample, it's not unrealistic to suspect that it may also be one, or at least one that predated a full run.

12 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

ENG. SMPL. == Engineering Sample.

Given that the Defender cartridge is marked '1st Sample', that suggests that it may have been a pre-production cartridge sent back to Atari from Signetics, who may have been contracted to do some or all of the manufacturing.  This cartridge would have been used to determine if any changes were needed before it went into full-scale production.

Although the Eastern Front cartridge isn't marked as a first sample, it's not unrealistic to suspect that it may also be one, or at least one that predated a full run.

Thank you, I had no idea what these meant, I found another game that was not labeled and when I installed game it was Atari writer with different rom.

atari writer (this game had no label).JPG

atari writer.JPG

46 minutes ago, et4u said:

Thank you, I had no idea what these meant, I found another game that was not labeled and when I installed game it was Atari writer with different rom.

atari writer (this game had no label).JPG

atari writer.JPG

Happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, I have no idea re: the AtariWriter cartridge.  I would suggest putting electrician's tape over the EPROMS just to be safe, however.

Thank you for joining.

What you have pictured are Review and Engineering copies. Without examining the contents, it is difficult to say which are the release versions. The engineering copies were sent to the chip manufacturer that made the PROM integrated circuit chips for the cartridges so I would guess they may be final versions. As mentioned above there is no telling with the Atariwriter unless its contents are examined. Review copies were usually release versions, but sometime prototypes sent to magazine writers and other reviewers. If they got bad feedback they would redo the game and send out a newer version. If you have different dates the earlier ones would be prototypes.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to looking at that Joust proto.  As far as I can tell there's no actual differences in the game play, but there is a bunch of source code snippets at the end of the rom. 

IN VBLANK
BIT 6 IN DISPLAY
RO P2C1
EQU $29
;PALETTE TWO COL OR ONE
RW P2C2
EQU $2A
PALETTE TWO COLOR TWO
RW P2C3
EQU $2B
PALETTE TWO COLOR THREE
RW DPH