IGNORED

Question how many Atari Jaguars do you keep on hand?

Pete5125

So over the years I have accumulated 3 Atari Jaguars,  1 with a cd., bought  them as lots with dreams of networking them to play games like doom.

So the years have past, games are priced high, so are the systems.

I've been told jags die with age but never had major issues, other than the funky way the CD attaches to the system, occasionally doesn't get perfect connection when inserting game.

So is it worth it to keep back-up systems around, or collect on the insane ebay prices?

2 hours ago, Pete5125 said:

So over the years I have accumulated 3 Atari Jaguars,  1 with a cd., bought  them as lots with dreams of networking them to play games like doom.

So the years have past, games are priced high, so are .

8 Jaguars (2 need as yet unidentifed repairs), 3 CD units (all functional except one has an annoying click even after being repaired).

2 hours ago, Pete5125 said:

So is it worth it to keep back-up systems around, or collect on the insane ebay prices?

That is a hard question. I mean given eNay prices, I am tempted, but then I would probably start selling everything off and the collection is so big, it dissuades me from going any further. 

Two here, one in box I probably got on EBay eons ago and another NIB from Best back when prices were far more reasonable. I tend to buy backups more for portable systems as in 10 years or whatever (if I still care about this stuff) it'll be much harder to find a portable system in good condition vs a console. 

Regretfully, I only have a single Jag on hand. While I don’t really need two, it would be nice to have a clean backup in the rare off chance my main one dies. Mainly to avoid paying crazy eBay prices.

$300+ isn’t an easy number to digest when you got yours new for $259 and lived through the countless $20 KB Toy, etc. liquidation over the years only to see them bounce back in price beyond what they retailed for new with many being in piss poor condition. 

I only have the one at the moment but I’m on the look out for a second unit for a spare when the price is right!. I think the best option is to buy a spares or repair or untested one for cheap on eBay and hope it’s an easy fix as the price for a working unit these days is insane and I think it’s only going to continue to get worse as time goes on. 

Two. Bought first used summer 1994 for 300 from friend who was tired of waiting for games. Included second controller and T2K. In early 2000s, I asked the only person I knew with a Jag if he’d sell it to me. He said he purged his life by hucking things in a burn barrel, including his Jag and accoutrements. When I read they only made 250,000 of them, I procured backup for less than 100. I should have gotten a gross of CDs as well. 

I have 4 Jaguars and 3 CD units I actually use. One BJL modded bench system I use for testing accessories I'm tinkering with, flashing SkunkBoards, etc., one on a CRT in my office/guest room (Same room as the bench/test system) that I use for most of my actual gaming, one in the family room I play with the kids or when someone's staying in the guest room, and one I cart around with me in a box wherever I go to use and evangelize with like a traveling salesman. I've managed to convince myself this is a reasonable number of Jaguar consoles for a grown man to own somehow.

However, then I have 4 more (3 working I believe) in a box in the closet that I got in an eBay bundle. The plan was to pair them with some controllers/connectors and games, then resell them for a small profit to cover the cost of acquiring the last one that I actually use, maybe repair the broken one to make it profitable overall... but they're still sitting there. It's difficult to part with them for some reason. I have resold a few CD units I'd repaired for a small profit, and sometimes regret it for no sensible reason. These days even the broken/for parts CD units cost so much that it's not worth the risk that they're repairable.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have only one, bought it just last year for Christmas, with one Hoskinson Pro Controller and Iron Soldier. Since then, my collection of games in box grew to 32 and I am on the look out for a spare console, just in case. But I just won't pay bold triple digits for that. And so far, I'm not worried that my Jag will give up working (fingers crossed).

Just one purchased several years ago before they got insane on pricing. Getting a CD was out, though. In general, it's in good shape, with just one quirk: carts only work if plugged in part way. If I plug a cart in fully, the system fails to start up. I plug the cart in all the way, then very carefully pull it up a tiny bit and it works fine. Needless to say, I don't care to change carts very often because of this. My skunkboard stayed in place until my Jaguar GD came in. I probably won't remove that in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

I’ve got two jaguars and one jag cd, only use one but I keep telling myself it’s never a bad idea to have a spare. 

23 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Only got one Jag, and really, what more do you need than it and a Gamedrive?

A controller might be useful. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

Only got one Jag, and really, what more do you need than it and a Gamedrive?

The golden rule of all hardware collecting should be "one plus a spare".  Otherwise it's somewhat amusing to hear people's complaints about impossible prices in a thread which has also big collectors.

• Like 1

I have three Jags and two CDs.  I purchased all from FleaBay about 15 or so years ago.  I don't think I paid more than $75 for any of them and I am sure the CD units were $75 each.  I had one Jag that blew the U38 regulator and I had that fixed by a member here.  All my units work and as long as you don't plug in the wrong power supply, they should be good.

• Like 2

I've got two Jags and one Jag CD. I've always known the importance of having a spare, and it's a good thing that I had one as I could only find one of my Jags when I came back from living overseas. My second one is still hiding around somewhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I've got two Jags and one Jag CD. I've always known the importance of having a spare, and it's a good thing that I had one as I could only find one of my Jags when I came back from living overseas. My second one is still hiding around somewhere.

Maybe you were dreaming that you had a second one.  I had a super vivid dream about 5 years ago that I had a Turbo Express and that I was playing it in my basement.  I woke up a couple hours later and searched through all my gaming stuff and couldn't find it.  Damn.