Rev

Amico Boomers event 9/11/21

Yall post some pics and videos. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 2

Thanks for starting this thread Rev.  It makes more sense putting things from the event here instead of cramming them in with the Amico Fun Talk thread...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Juice said:

Boomers? 

Its some kind of little kid fun park. 

Not “boomers” as in old people. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Rev said:

Its some kind of little kid fun park. 

Not “boomers” as in old people. 

By that video it looks like stuff boomers would find fun when they were kids. Not very modern. Anyways not the best place to do things like that I learned that long ago it's better to do things at boring places like libraries where kids will actually sit and pay attention.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rowsdower70 said:

Did they allow photography/video?   I'd like to see some of that action too. 

This is all I've seen.

Boomer1.png.608ff84faa0978b1b12cb6852ded4f4f.pngBoomer4.thumb.jpg.3d32048fb6fc746e675b909893e8fbcb.jpgBoomer2.thumb.jpg.d8f817b927b270473ddf419079b94eee.jpgBoomer3.thumb.jpg.fe5f23274a3452f1d4c0b5dc2fa439bc.jpg

• Like 6

These topics all seem to get swallowed, Shark-Shark style, by the mega-thread.

• Haha 1

I would guess this is the placeholder UI and not final one with the mascot showing games.

Boomer8.png.54240b459c94f11b15f305b8ab8a6547.png

Here are some things I've read about it.

So it was meh. Everything worked. I didn’t notice any lag. I turned the controller upside down to see what would happen and the controls didn’t not flip with it.

I brought my girlfriend who doesn’t play video game at all and has a difficult time with an Xbox controller. She used the wheel like an old iPod click.  It took her a second to figure out to use it like a d pad.  She didn’t see the point of a the touch screen and confused her a bit.

We both agreed yes this is a family friendly console but if she had the choice between this and Nintendo she would choose the Nintendo. I went to a screen that I believe was the os screen and it seemed like an App Store but I could be wrong.

No one came up to talk to us but another family walk in and tommy greeted them. He asked them if they heard of the amico and the guy said yes I am in investor. Tommy asked the guys kid if they wanted to play some games and explained everything to them. However no one came and talked to us. We played two games  astrosmash and a side scrolling shooter. They were meh not bad not good. We played for a few mins and we were bored. My girlfriend said what’s the point and where is the story. If it was like a 100 to 150 bucks we might be interested in it.

Sounds like the Gyro is working which is good. No noticable lag.

I'm local and didn't have much else to do this morning so I went. Didn't have my camera out because they made you sign a waiver saying you couldn't record footage of the games but I can talk about my experience.

Sounds like you will not see very much footage if this is true. Weird considering this should be buttoned up and ready to roll. You should want to get people excited by showing the games and not hiding them.

I went to this today. The games were fun. There was a funny "suddenly German" bug that will get fixed before release. Tommy knows about it, it's fine. No EWJ, unfortunately, but there was an apparent EWJ reference in one of the games today.

Suddenly German bug? Did the default language just randomly change? 

They had 5 prototype consoles each capable of supporting 4 controllers. Tommy ran into a controller sync issue when it was my turn to play but a quick restart fixed it. It boots fairly quickly and UI is plain and serviceable. Controllers synced on the first go.

Think there are some more to post. If anyone was there they should post their experience.

Sorry guys.  I posted in the mega thread before I even saw this thread existed.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/288558-tommy-tallarico-fun-amico-conversations/?do=findComment&comment=4904258

I don't have pictures, but I wrote my thoughts on that thread.  To those who think my review is overly positive, just understand that I'm speaking from the point of view of a father with very young children.  I honestly am very happy with Amico as a console to play with my kids and really think it has potential for less hardware intensive, but still graphically beautiful Indy games.

Edited by LinemanDoc
added link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2021 at 3:35 PM, Juice said:

Anyways not the best place to do things like that I learned that long ago it's better to do things at boring places like libraries where kids will actually sit and pay attention.

My kids were distracted by the rides and arcade.  I ended up going back and forth between the event and the arcade the whole time.  It made it harder as a parent, but at least that way the kids stayed happy and we all had fun.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LinemanDoc said:

Sorry guys.  I posted in the mega thread before I even saw this thread existed.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/288558-tommy-tallarico-fun-amico-conversations/?do=findComment&comment=4904258

I don't have pictures, but I wrote my thoughts on that thread.  To those who think my review is overly positive, just understand that I'm speaking from the point of view of a father with very young children.  I honestly am very happy with Amico as a console to play with my kids and really think it has potential for less hardware intensive, but still graphically beautiful Indy games.

That's great you enjoyed it!

I'm curious as to what specifically stands out for you as to why it would be good to play with your kids? Like was it a certain game, UI, etc. Do you have an kid age range that you think it would specifically appeal to?

I have a 2 year old girl, 7yo boy, and 9yo girl.  I'll go through what I saw with each kid.  It will be a long post.

2 year old girl -

She still struggles to control a character's direction on any video game.  The only games I've successfully played with her at home are the original Frog Bog on Intellivision and Bowling on Magnavox Odyssey 2.  These games only require one button to play and have no directional control (on easy mode).

She was excited to hold the Amico controller and "pretend" to play Shark Shark.  The touch screen captivated her and she was able to choose her fish by herself on it, but really was not capable of playing the game.  Unless Amico comes out with an extremely simple game like Frog Bog, Magnavox Bowling, or a zero button motion game, 2 years old is just too young.  I did not play it, but I understand that the pack-in game Cornhole will have user choices before the motion control of throwing and I imagine that would even be too complicated for a 2 year old.  Hopefully a future game will work for that age, but I'd say you probably need to be at least 3 years old to actually play Amico and not have the parent or child get frustrated.

7 year old boy - 

He enjoyed Amico by far the most out of the kids.  I think the biggest factor here was the game design and not the hardware or touchscreen.  He liked the controller, but he also likes the Switch controller, Steam controller, and mouse/keyboard.  The controller doesn't make a difference to him as long as it works well.  Amico's controller works well and he simply takes that for granted.

What the Amico does exceptionally well for his age is provide well designed games that play well when mixing his lower skill level with my higher skill level.  I found Rigid Force Redux to be fun and challenging, but he found it to be fun and not challenging (he does not like challenging while I do).  It works perfect to make him invincible and me not.

I know this game concept is not new and I mentioned Blaster Master Zero from Switch on the other thread as an example.  What is new is that all (or at least most) Amico games will be like this.  Shark Shark had a playable skeleton fish when the kids died early.  I did not play Astrosmash long enough to know what happens when the kid dies early, but I never noticed a time when he was not fully engaged in playing.  I think we shared lives, but I'm not sure.

Amico is perfect for a 7 year old boy.  It is MUCH better for me than the Switch as a parent of a 7 year old boy because I don't have to search so hard for games designed specifically for our demographics.  Amico's strong point here is definitely its hand picked game library.  I understand this could also be its weak point if you don't fall into a demographic it's catered to.  I selfishly don't care because it IS catered toward my family and we will enjoy it.  I will still keep my Switch for my selfish one player games I play in bed before falling asleep while ignoring my family ;)

9 year old girl - 

She pretty much only plays Minecraft in creative mode at home.  She does not like games that have game overs or even have a clear objective or goal.  I personally don't enjoy her style of games and she is the most difficult to find any video game to play together with and have us both enjoy it.  We do enjoy playing board games together.

Saying this, Emoji Charades was her favorite (and my wife's).  While I don't particularly enjoy Charades or Pictionary, I do enjoy most other board games and party games.  These are what I imagine playing with all 5 of us on family nights on the couch at home.  Having a touchscreen on each controller is a necessity on many of these types of games.  Amico may win the market on this niche category of video games because nothing else is even capable of hiding each player's deck of cards on a video game console.  I guess except for Jack Box Party, but that's the only example I can think of.  Amico has the potential to provide dozens more of these style games and really create a market for digital board games.

I definitely feel Amico is well designed for families with at least one child aged 3-12.  Teens may see it too childish, but would definitely still find it fun to play with a younger sibling in that age range.  If they don't have younger siblings, it probably would collect dust in a teenager's room.

Amico will also be great for grandparents to have for when the grandkids come and visit.  I don't imagine my parents (70 years old) would play it by themselves, but I do see them playing it with thier grandkids.  I could also see them buying it in a store on their own accord for that reason.  My wife's parents are similar.  They actually bought a Switch last year for the grandkids and hooked it up to thier TV.  I visited them over Labor Day and went to use it, but realized they never bought a single game for it and were clueless as to why no one played it.  Amico would be much better for them (even though they'd probably only ever have 6 games).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, LinemanDoc said:

2 year old girl -

She still struggles to control a character's direction on any video game.  The only games I've successfully played with her at home are the original Frog Bog on Intellivision and Bowling on Magnavox Odyssey 2.  These games only require one button to play and have no directional control (on easy mode).

She was excited to hold the Amico controller and "pretend" to play Shark Shark.  The touch screen captivated her and she was able to choose her fish by herself on it, but really was not capable of playing the game.  Unless Amico comes out with an extremely simple game like Frog Bog, Magnavox Bowling, or a zero button motion game, 2 years old is just too young.  I did not play it, but I understand that the pack-in game Cornhole will have user choices before the motion control of throwing and I imagine that would even be too complicated for a 2 year old.  Hopefully a future game will work for that age, but I'd say you probably need to be at least 3 years old to actually play Amico and not have the parent or child get frustrated.

I was curious about this, because I just don't see the Sesame Street games being any better for a young player than a tablet. I'm guessing they didn't have those games running by chance?

This was a great write up and thanks for sharing. Sounds like they could benefit to get some game like Stardew Valley on Amico for your oldest.

LinemanDoc,Tommy and myself left to right.

I loved the controller,which was very smooth and spot on accurate moving in all directions on Shark!Shark!

I can say confidently  the Amico will be liked by me.

Everything that has been shown to this point on Atariage is everything I saw at Boomers.

Great day for me to see it and play it in person.

Tommy and his staff were all super nice,helpful and accommodating with all questions that I asked answered. That's it!

20210911_120310.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Where did you see those?   Other than the 2 AA users we've seen, anyone saying anything (mostly) positive or negative about it, or all just kind of "meh?"

12 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Where did you see those?   Other than the 2 AA users we've seen, anyone saying anything (mostly) positive or negative about it, or all just kind of "meh?"

If interested, here are others who have posted pics and talked about it on one of the Amico Facebook groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/amicogamingfun/posts/1274117536350715/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/amicogamingfun/posts/1274145676347901

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I would guess this is the placeholder UI and not final one with the mascot showing games.

Boomer8.png.54240b459c94f11b15f305b8ab8a6547.png

Like most things you post here... you're once again incorrect.

And yes... everyone can see the pattern.

:D

For those interested, that is the menu for Emoji Charades and some of the many different categories you can pick.  Including a bunch of exclusive ones for kids and family only for Amico (which are the ones that @LinemanDoc had mentioned his family liked.  We also added a Retro Gaming category which I'm sure a bunch of folks here will enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

QUOTE:

I'm local and didn't have much else to do this morning so I went. Didn't have my camera out because they made you sign a waiver saying you couldn't record footage of the games but I can talk about my experience.

Sounds like you will not see very much footage if this is true. Weird considering this should be buttoned up and ready to roll. You should want to get people excited by showing the games and not hiding them.

Like usual with this guy... 

Completely false information.

i-see-a-pattern-here.thumb.jpg.fe9261e74809a95796d1bcdde0e23711.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Like most things you post here... you're once again incorrect.

And yes... everyone can see the pattern.

:D

For those interested, that is the menu for Emoji Charades and some of the many different categories you can pick.  Including a bunch of exclusive ones for kids and family only for Amico (which are the ones that @LinemanDoc had mentioned his family liked.  We also added a Retro Gaming category which I'm sure a bunch of folks here will enjoy.

You could post the UI so people don't have to speculate.  Why post snarky comments all the time and not just be transparent?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ashtonm said:

Why post snarky comments all the time and not just be transparent?

I could say the same to a lot of the people and comments in here as well.

:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1