Rev

Amico Boomers event 9/11/21

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

I've mentioned this before but if you look at the Atariage users in the Intellivision section and those in the Amico section, there's not a whole lot of overlap.  That's not surprising because Amico isn't a retro console, Amico games are new.

You were finally right on something!  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. 

Im kidding Mr Me!   You know I love ya man. 😜😜

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

I've mentioned this before but if you look at the Atariage users in the Intellivision section and those in the Amico section, there's not a whole lot of overlap.  That's not surprising because Amico isn't a retro console, Amico games are new.

You can't please everyone and you shouldn't try.  The CEO has attracted quite a bit of talent and built a nice company, raised millions of dollars from investors, developed a prototype console, a library of games.  Some things are out of their control, but he has accomplished a lot doing what he's doing.

The poll was in Modern Consoles, with a site-wide question (What does Atari Age think..) so not just for Intellivision fans. Trying to cast Amico as a completely new console is a strange take, seeing how much talk there was about its roots, reimagining the old games, and the fact the word "Intellivision" is even in its name :)

And all these accomplishments will be meaningless if Amico fades out after a year or so, especially if the initial sales are meagre. This is a cold world - just ask the investors.

That poll was kind of silly. It pretty much shows that 89 people out of 57,671 registered users of which about 5,941 are usually online would buy an Amico :)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rev said:

You were finally right on something!  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. 

Im kidding Mr Me!   You know I love ya man. 😜😜

I feel like you're always "finding nuts"

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

I feel like you're always "finding nuts"

Stop spreading snarky misinformation……among spreading other things.     Please

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ColecoJoe said:

That poll was kind of silly. It pretty much shows that 89 people out of 57,671 registered users of which about 5,941 are usually online would buy an Amico :)

Not really. They use polls of 10,000 people to predict the votes of 100 million people within 3% in presidential elections. So, this could be accurate for 100,000 to 1 million. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Swami said:

Not really. They use polls of 10,000 people to predict the votes of 100 million people within 3% in presidential elections. So, this could be accurate for 100,000 to 1 million. 

89 people voted bro .. that's all you gotta know :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ColecoJoe said:

89 people voted bro .. that's all you gotta know :)

Like talking to a brick wall. What’s the largest number of people to participate in an Atariage poll?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Swami said:

Like talking to a brick wall. What’s the largest number of people to participate in an Atariage poll?

I have no idea, what's your point?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

I'm guessing his point is : absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

21 minutes ago, Papy said:

I'm guessing his point is : absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

So i guess the poll was indeed silly.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

That's true, but it also has been mostly retro gamers who've been discussing, attending events with/without their families and making videos about Amico for two years.

Even though the marketing promotes it as a system for non-gamers and casual users who may not be very good at games (grandma etc.) at least from my observations it remains the retro side that's the main draw. Many who have played it including at AmicoFest and so on have retro gaming shirts, retro YouTube shows and collect video games. The VGM Live and collector Amico game boxes are also tailored to retro gamers.

So I think there are two very distinct tracts of promotion but the one that has really dominated Amico since its inception has been the retro scene, even if the games and console are all modern.

• Like 1

What does any of this have to do with the lack of new Boomers Youtube footage from the people that was there.  

In this age of smart phone zombies no one records each other playing?  What gives.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ColecoJoe said:

By another silly poll you could say Atari Age thinks that Amico will be the last one of the consoles to make it to market.

Please note it is a silly poll much like the other one referenced. 

9 minutes ago, Rev said:

In this age of smart phone zombies no one records each other playing?  What gives.

Uh boomers....

Sorry had to do it.

30 minutes ago, MattPilz said:

That's true, but it also has been mostly retro gamers who've been discussing, attending events with/without their families and making videos about Amico for two years.

Even though the marketing promotes it as a system for non-gamers and casual users who may not be very good at games (grandma etc.) at least from my observations it remains the retro side that's the main draw. Many who have played it including at AmicoFest and so on have retro gaming shirts, retro YouTube shows and collect video games. The VGM Live and collector Amico game boxes are also tailored to retro gamers.

So I think there are two very distinct tracts of promotion but the one that has really dominated Amico since its inception has been the retro scene, even if the games and console are all modern.

It's not surprising that the people discussing Amico over the last two years are retro gamers because that's where the marketing effort has been.  Which has been pretty much the CEO appearing on various retro gaming youtube channels and at a couple of retro gaming conferences.  The E3 video this year was one that wasn't retro gaming specific but even that doesn't target the audience they will primarily go after.   

The limited collector edition game boxes are geared to the people who have preordered Amicos because they are likely the only ones that will have an Amico in the near future.  Physical editions might look different once Amicos are rolled out to the masses later down the road.

As far as people playing the Amico at the events at the NVGM, Crayola, and Boomers, how do you know how many are retro gamers and how many are not?  Amico followers did get a heads up on these events so it's not surprising they would attend with some taking videos of their experience or commenting on retro videogame discussion forums.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

By another silly poll you could say Atari Age thinks that Amico will be the last one of the consoles to make it to market.

Please note it is a silly poll much like the other one referenced. 

Uh boomers....

Sorry had to do it.

The “boomers” i see in public are on phones nearly as much as their grandkids!    

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

So i guess the poll was indeed silly.

Obviously the poll was not "scientific", but it is still data. This data can certainly be used in an argument. The poll was not "silly".

You said : "It pretty much shows that 89 people out of 57,671 registered users of which about 5,941 are usually online would buy an Amico." Your statement is logically invalid (i.e. silly). As I said, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

1 minute ago, MrBeefy said:

Your poll was not silly in itself. It does show the level of confidence people have about the release of the Amico compared to the release of other gaming devices. Of course, since the people who voted in your poll have no real knowledge about Intellivision's situation and no influence over it, it would be silly to assume that the result of your poll is indicative of the actual release date of the Amico. However, a silly conclusion does not mean the poll itself is silly.

You know what would give you a wider audience? State fairs. Families love to go to them! Here's another one.

If they really want to commit to the idea of "road shows" they need to have plans that advertise more than the day before and actually be located somewhere other than near one of their offices. Might as well call them "open house shows". You also wouldn't have to worry about how many are retro gamers/not, or who knew about it already/didn't. It would just be loads of different people.

Georgia still hasn't had theirs yet. https://www.georgiastatefair.org/

You would have way more than 100 people and @Rev would most likely see way more footage posted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

The “boomers” i see in public are on phones nearly as much as their grandkids!    

...I've programmed a lot of VCRs.... you sure they aren't Jitterbugs? :P

5 minutes ago, Papy said:

However, a silly conclusion does not mean the poll itself is silly.

It's silly in it doesn't really say anything much like the other one doesn't either. Like you said they aren't scientific and more 'fun' in nature. I might think it is silly too, since I voted for Polymega to come out last!

6 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

It's silly in it doesn't really say anything much

Your poll "said" that out of the 24 people who voted, 11 imagined the Amico would be released last. Again, the silliness comes from the logical argument using the data, not from the data (the poll) itself.

Of course, it is certainly possible to make a silly (nonsensical) poll. However, that was not the case with either poll.

BTW, just in case you haven't guessed, I'm someone who not only loves logic, but who also utterly despise rhetoric.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Papy said:

Your poll "said" that out of the 24 people who voted, 11 imagined the Amico would be released last. Again, the silliness comes from the logical argument using the data, not from the data (the poll) itself.

Of course, it is certainly possible to make a silly (nonsensical) poll. However, that was not the case with either poll.

BTW, just in case you haven't guessed, I'm someone who not only loves logic, but who also utterly despise rhetoric.

The silly part is it isn't actually a representation of anything outside of the 24 people who voted. It was all in fun. Don't think to hard about it. 😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Papy said:

Only 11 people in the world think Amico will be released last. Only 50 people think the original pac-man is the best. 

On 9/15/2021 at 3:01 PM, Swami said:

There was a poll here several months ago and about 67% viewed Tommy’s personality favorably and I’m sure some of the remaining 33% are just indifferent. 

14 hours ago, Swami said:

It was around 67% a few months ago. As lost as it is in the thread, I speculate the recent rush of new aggressive “detractors” hunted it down after people mentioned it as a response to people griping about Tommy to mess with it. 

I'm confused.  When it was 67%, you pointed to it as proof that we all like him.   When it's less, then it's no longer valid proof because them aggressive sumbitches detractors are to blame and just "messed with it?"

😄

We'd bicker about anything.  I love you guys.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

😄

Razzie.P: Swami, is the sun hot? 

Swami: It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

I'm confused.  When it was 67%, you pointed to it as proof that we all like him.   When it's less, then it's no longer valid proof because them aggressive sumbitches detractors are to blame and just "messed with it?"

😄

I think it’s still valid. 55% + 10%-20% likely indifferent leaves only 30% who do not like Tommy’s approach. That’s up from 20% several months ago, but it’s a bit odd a buried poll would change 10% in any direction months afterwards. Just my take.