Rev

Amico Boomers event 9/11/21

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

The silly part is it isn't actually a representation of anything outside of the 24 people who voted.

I learned a long time ago that what people say is sometimes very different from what they mean. As I said, I utterly despise rhetoric.

Oh, and I'm always thinking hard about everything. 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

By another silly poll you could say Atari Age thinks that Amico will be the last one of the consoles to make it to market.

That same one shows 0 people thought Polymega would be first... so much for us being the experts we wanna think we are.

Those "I know everything there is to know everything about" comments are super amusing in hindsight

20 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Those "I know everything there is to know everything about" comments are super amusing in hindsight

Oh totally. It is always fun to see what we get right and wrong in speculation.

Even in that thread Steamdeck wasn't included, because it wasn't announced yet. Now it may beat many of those devices out the door.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, mr_me said:

I've mentioned this before but if you look at the Atariage users in the Intellivision section and those in the Amico section, there's not a whole lot of overlap.  That's not surprising because Amico isn't a retro console, Amico games are new.

-----------

You can't please everyone and you shouldn't try.  The CEO has attracted quite a bit of talent and built a nice company, raised millions of dollars from investors, developed a prototype console, a library of games.  Some things are out of their control, but he has accomplished a lot doing what he's doing.

The poll that was mentioned in this thread does not bare that out though.  It seems the people on this site who are interested in the Amico and voted in that poll are overwhelming (75.56%) more interested in the classic games than in playing new IPs (14.81%) on the console. 

2. What type of game are you most interested in for the Amico?

• Classics reimagined

• New IPs

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The retro-reimagined games are new games.

The people who would be more interested in an updated version of a retro game over a completely new game, are people who played/loved those retro games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Downland1983 said:

The people who would be more interested in an updated version of a retro game over a completely new game, are people who played/loved those retro games.

I would hazard the site is called Atariage and that was primarily the 80s. I don’t think you can say it is just reimagined intellivision games but reimagined 1977 - 1987 games. The 75% covers all the 1st - 3rd gen fans as well as possibly 4th, although 4th may not see much SNES and MD games for a while. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Swami said:

I would hazard the site is called Atariage and that was primarily the 80s. I don’t think you can say it is just reimagined intellivision games but reimagined 1977 - 1987 games. The 75% covers all the 1st - 3rd gen fans as well as possibly 4th, although 4th may not see much SNES and MD games for a while. 

Since it's currently 2021, if the most desired games on the console are versions of games originating from 1977-1987, that pretty much pegs it as a retro enthusiast console.  I am well aware of there being games developed outside of that spectrum that are supposed to bring in a wider audience.  But the poll that was brought up earlier shows that the majority of people on this site who have an interest in the console are by far more interested in the retro fare, whether they are frequent posters in the Intellivision section of the website or not.  As you pointed out, reimagined versions of games from the early 80's would appeal to those who grew up with Atari 2600, ColecoVision, and other consoles of that era as well.  So, saying that there isn't much cross-pollination between the Intellivision forums and Amico forums doesn't really do anything to disprove that the Amico might be more sought after by retro enthusiasts than anyone else.

I find it shocking that a poll on AtariAge would show that people here are interested in classic games reimagined. Shocking. 

• Like 2

Just now, cmart604 said:

I find it shocking that a poll on AtariAge would show that people here are interested in classic games reimagined. Shocking. 

I wasn't the one who brought up the poll, or pointed to a lack of Intellivision forum posters in the Amico forum as some kind of proof that the Amico is not perceived as a retro enthusiasts console.  I would, however, point to the fact that a largely retro enthusiast website was chosen as "the homebase" for Amico discussions by the Intellivision Amico team.  And, the most hype for the system on YouTube appears to be coming from retro enthusiast channels.  So, you tell me which demographic it clearly has the wider appeal with.

27 minutes ago, Downland1983 said:

I wasn't the one who brought up the poll, or pointed to a lack of Intellivision forum posters in the Amico forum as some kind of proof that the Amico is not perceived as a retro enthusiasts console.  I would, however, point to the fact that a largely retro enthusiast website was chosen as "the homebase" for Amico discussions by the Intellivision Amico team.  And, the most hype for the system on YouTube appears to be coming from retro enthusiast channels.  So, you tell me which demographic it clearly has the wider appeal with.

Being as actual marketing has not started yet, it should only appeal to or repulse the retro community.

But you do also realize that the Amico is under the Modern Console section with a Hook to it from the Retro Intellivision section for the crossover parties that may be interested. 

3 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

Being as actual marketing has not started yet, it should only appeal to or repulse the retro community.

But you do also realize that the Amico is under the Modern Console section with a Hook to it from the Retro Intellivision section for the crossover parties that may be interested. 

Yes, I am aware that a console that was supposed to be released in 2020 is in the modern console section, as it should be.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:38 AM, cmart604 said:

Actually, its not shocking at all. 

4 hours ago, Rev said:

Actually, its not shocking at all. 

That's what she said. 

3 hours ago, Jacob Livingston said:

Too interesting not to share. Not sure what to think about it.

Someone will be along shortly to inform you what you should be thinking and correct your wrongthink!

• Haha 1

Makes sense the Octane guy likes it, they gave it an award after all.  The Amico has fans, we know this.  It was a great opportunity for those that have pre-orders to try it out.  If they're not happy with it they can cancel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jacob Livingston said:

Too interesting not to share. Not sure what to think about it.

Since I very highly doubt there were only three people without Intellivision clothing at that event, you should come to the conclusion that the person who made this video presents only information that fits his or her obvious agenda. You should come to the conclusion that he or she is dishonest.

BTW, the insinuation that an actress doesn't have a life and doesn't do anything on her own is ridiculous and shows how desperate the person who made the video is. I mean if I see an actress go to a local supermarket to buy milk, I won't spontaneously imagine she's paid to do it. I'd imagine she just want milk. I mean I know believing in all sorts of conspiracy theories is the new trend, but... come on!

Having said this, it's kind of obvious this event would attract people who are interested in the Amico. As I doubt Intellivision would kick these people out, these fans most probably took over the place, blocking many people who never heard of the Amico to try it.

Anyway, I don't see where the problem is. Even if only fans went there, it doesn't change that fans are still people. If they tried the console and realized it was shit, they would stop being fans and would post their opinions here. It didn't happen, so it's reassuring.

Edited by Papy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rev said:

Someone will be along shortly to inform you what you should be thinking and correct your wrongthink!

That's what a few people here that I would happily qualify as "haters" are constantly doing.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Papy said:

Since I very highly doubt there were only three people without Intellivision clothing at that event

But they're the three people Intellivision Entertainment chose to interview, though.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, mr_me said:

Makes sense the Octane guy likes it, they gave it an award after all.  The Amico has fans, we know this.  It was a great opportunity for those that have pre-orders to try it out.  If they're not happy with it they can cancel.

Sure, but does it make sense to put a guy involved with your own incubator in the promotion without informing about his affiliations?

It comes off as kind of dishonest. Maybe even to the level where the SEC could have opinions on the matter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

But they're the three people Intellivision Entertainment chose to interview, though.

No, they are three people (among others) who Intellivision chose to include in their own promotional video. Considering your little group of extremely despicable people don't hesitate to harass anyone who likes the console, I don't blame Intellivision for being very careful about who to include in the video.

Of course, I'm sure you were already aware of that. However, you realize the release of the console is now getting closer, you realize that pretty much everyone who tried the console says good things about it, so you and your little group of despicable people are now desperately grasping at straws.

Seriously, get a life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Sure, but does it make sense to put a guy involved with your own incubator in the promotion without informing about his affiliations?

It comes off as kind of dishonest. Maybe even to the level where the SEC could have opinions on the matter?

The SEC? What you said was really, really dumb. I'm curious to know how old you are.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1