IGNORED

Starry Night (screen animation)

rsiddall

Another AD screensaver module in the works!

I guess I should note that I can't guarantee these will work to prevent screen burn-in. Doubting most people leave them running on fancy OLED TVs. I believe the original AD screensavers were also guilty of this.

EDIT: Titlescreen/Last version can be found in first post (here.)

FTP_Starry2021.bas.bin

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 3

These are bringing back a lot of memories. I was a beta-tester for Berkley Systems from '94 until they closed shop. I tested so many versions of After Dark and You Don't Know Jack it's ridiculous. Back before the internet was huge. When I started they burned them on CD-Rom and mailed them snail mail. We would submit our bug reports via email but broadband wasn't a thing yet so physical media was the easiest way to do distribution. The good ole days.

• Like 2

Wow, love hearing about things like this...thanks for sharing!

I was a huge fan of After Dark in the lates 80s and through most of the 90s.

Can't tell you how many versions I bought - starting out on floppies, and like you said, moving on to CDs. Their Simpsons screensaver was another fave of mine.

It's my understanding the After Dark software is considered abandonware (Berkley bought out by Sierra On-Line) with neither company active/in business.

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, rsiddall said:

Or falling star...since I can't make the graphic red (ball is tied to playfield colors). ?

Can you have the meteor continue behind the building? It currently disappears after the building. Sort of looks like it’s striking it. 

I've got the score turned off, so part of the area below skyline is due to that. I also have no_blank_lines running (to keep the skyscrapers solid) and it kind of pushes everything up a line. When I get a chance, I'll see if turning on PFO will add anything (besides 2 columns of gray on either side).

Actually, atari2600land's suggestion for using "pfhline 0 9 31 on" (different project) works to add back the missing line below skyscrapper.

I think this is as centered as I can get it.

starry4.bin

Edited by rsiddall

10 hours ago, rsiddall said:

I've got the score turned off, so part of the area below skyline is due to that. I also have no_blank_lines running (to keep the skyscrapers solid) and it kind of pushes everything up a line. When I get a chance, I'll see if turning on PFO will add anything (besides 2 columns of gray on either side).

Actually, atari2600land's suggestion for using "pfhline 0 9 31 on" (different project) works to add back the missing line below skyscrapper.

I think this is as centered as I can get it.

starry4.bin 4 kB · 4 downloads

Looks great! I hadn't noticed the missing line, but now I see the difference.? Don't worry about the centering.

• Like 1