IGNORED

LED Backlight Install

VGR

Hey folks, I just installed a LED backlight! It worked great but... I wanted to remove the coil (transformer) for more battery saving and now the contrast wheel doesn't change the brightness and I believe the screen has no image. Is there a certain way to remove these or other components to remove or any bridging that needs to be done?

If you look at the schematic you will see that the power for the LCD/contrast circuit comes from a tap on the primary side of the transformer (Lynx 2) or secondary of the power module (Lynx 1) and that the supply voltage for that circuit at TP12 is 20V.

Consequently although you could try powering it from 9V taken from D11 (Lynx 2 ) or D18? (Lynx 1) it may not work well, if at all, and so you would need to install a boost type switching regulator to convert 5V or 9V to 20V if you are set on removing the coil and patch it in to TP12.

But why remove it when doing so will cause more problems than it is worth? I presume the power connection for the original backlight is provided via a connector (it is on the Lynx 2), thus with nothing plugged into that connector there and therefore nothing connected to the output of the transformer that would be drawing current, the difference in current consumption between leaving the transformer in over removing it it negligible.