IGNORED

Throwing it out here. What is the possibility of a "Where's my Water?" style game engine on the A8?

Beeblebrox

When this game came out 8 or so years ago I played it to death on my Android tablet. :P

Many clones have been made since for those platforms - Just curious to see what anyone's thoughts are about:

1) Whether such a game engine is possible on the A8

2) Is there any interest?

Having marvelled at the amazing Flob with it's fast and fluid game engine I just wondered. 

I would love to see a Where's my water clone on the Atari 8-Bit. :-D

Edited by Beeblebrox

1 hour ago, Pokeypy said:

It's a different game, but "Buried" (also called "Buried Bucks") on the A8 also has water underground. Just to give an idea, how such water would probably look on the A8.

And it's also a nice game.

@Pokeypy funnily enough it was the mention of Buried Bucks in the current thread on the subject and presence of water in that game that reminded me of Where's my water - and the reason for my post. ;-)

@Rybags and @_The Doctor__  - Yes the effect I am wondering if possible on the A8 is the very engine that calculates the fluid/volume present in that style of game. So real physics calcs so where a cavity is opened up, the fluid follows the laws of physics and gravity to fill the cavity, etc. Obviously a tall order but looking and how fast the Flob game engine is, I just wondered if possible. So you would minimse the load on the CPU for other effects, and focus on the water/slime dynamics.

I know there was another post a while back asking if Angry Birds was at all possible on the A8. Of course with the multitude of physics at play and the cause and effect nature of the game, that wouldn't be possible on a 1.79Mhz CPU. But I do wonder, if you had a lot of static graphics in the engine for a Where's my water clone, whether it might be feasible?

@_The Doctor__ - I know the slime game you mean. It's this WIP from 2019 by Preppie:

Edit:  Hey - we have a game called Flob - so perhaps a Where's my water clone called "Where's My Slurry?"  ?? :-D

Edited by Beeblebrox
typos
  • Like 2

@bocianu To the legend himself (creator of Flob) :lust: - just thought I'd ask what your thoughts were on the subject of the feasibility of a water physics engine element in gameplay on the A8, in particular relation to the possiblility of games like Where's my water? See the first post video. Thanks again for the continued updates for Flob btw.:grin::thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Physics engines (like in this game for particle simulation or in Angry Birds) are deceivingly simple but there is a lot of calculations to be done behind them, especially if expectation is to have it quite realistic. A simplified version of water simulation, without actual particles but only simulation of volume on granularity of characters is doable, but would limit greatly gameplay options. Any addition (like pressure simulation or momentum) is probably an overkill.

• Thanks 1