IGNORED

Update Atari VCS Joystick without Console?

SubElement

1 minute ago, SubElement said:

As per title, is there any way to update the Atari VCS Joystick firmware without a Console?

Thanks! :)

Good question, and I would say the answer to that is no.  The joystick was only ever intended for use with the Atari VCS as accessory for it.  That being said Atari does sell the controller separately so they should really come up with a ways for those who don't own and Atari VCS to update the controllers.  I would recommend contacting Atari Support, but don't expect a solution will be forthcoming at this time, but if if put a in a request they can look into how in future to provide this service to those like you who have an Atari Classic Joystick or Modern controller but cannot update the firmware on them because you don't own an Atari VCS console.

48 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

Good question, and I would say the answer to that is no.  The joystick was only ever intended for use with the Atari VCS as accessory for it.  That being said Atari does sell the controller separately so they should really come up with a ways for those who don't own and Atari VCS to update the controllers.  I would recommend contacting Atari Support, but don't expect a solution will be forthcoming at this time, but if if put a in a request they can look into how in future to provide this service to those like you who have an Atari Classic Joystick or Modern controller but cannot update the firmware on them because you don't own an Atari VCS console.

Thanks for the reply mate, I’ll do exactly that. If/when I get a reply I’ll post an update.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Kind of wild that it took this long for this to get mentioned, but it makes total sense that unless you have a VCS you can't update the controller...how do other consoles do it? I'm assuming the same case happens with a Dualshock 4 or DualSense; you need the Playstation to update the controller.

I don't think I've ever seen a Dualshock update, but the Dualsense does get them.   I don't know how you'd do it without a PS5

• Like 2

Not going to lie, got a better response than I expected:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.
At the moment the firmware update is through the console. I'll get in touch with the engineering department to get information about this. Can you let me know how are you going to use the controller, playing in a PC, for example? 

We look forward to your response.

Kind regards,
Atari VCS Support

Hopefully get some good news.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zzip said:

I guess it begs the question, what kinds of updates do they get, do people without a VCS need these updates, and how often will they be updated in the future?

long term wont matter as much, short term on a project this small i imagine the updates could be important, such as power management maybe tweaking of the rumble maybe tweaking of the dial etc.

which then also makes me ask is there calibration software as well?

i have a few controllers from PDP (competition to PowerA who makes this device) and they supply calibration softwares for their devices so Im assuming a controller like this from PowerA probably will too but will it only run on VCS?

PowerA has no mention of its VCS controller or joystick anywhere so I feel like this is a small side project that wont go retail which means it will probably not have support.

I am badly wanting the atari joystick and control pads however just not the system.

• Like 1

The most common controller firmware updates I've run into on the Switch and PS4 related to launch software bugs and power management, aka, squeezing more battery life out of the controller. On the PS4 side I remember them adding a bit of functionality for their plug in headphones back in the day as well. So, generally not gamebreaking stuff, but important. So far the VCS controllers have had updates related to software compatibility and their bluetooth connectivity. 

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

The most common controller firmware updates I've run into on the Switch and PS4 related to launch software bugs and power management, aka, squeezing more battery life out of the controller. On the PS4 side I remember them adding a bit of functionality for their plug in headphones back in the day as well. So, generally not gamebreaking stuff, but important. So far the VCS controllers have had updates related to software compatibility and their bluetooth connectivity. 

The firmware updates can be anything. the true question is is someone wants just the controllers which they sell will we get the support of updates?

If the answer is yes I want 4x.

If the answer is no then no thanks lol

I imagine on a small project like this there will be tweaks to these controllers.

Un noticed bugs.

• 2 years later...
On 9/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, SubElement said:

As per title, is there any way to update the Atari VCS Joystick firmware without a Console?

Thanks! :)

you could follow this guide to install VCS os on an amd computer and see if that works: 

Edited by Thanone