IGNORED

DOS gaming PC - SOLD

cwilbar

What a miserable state of affairs.

Thing that bothers me with FPGA is lack of accoutrements and bells & whistles. These little niceties add to the versatility and convenience of Software Emulation. It's not that it can't technically be done on FPGA - as most FPGA rigs have ARM processors on-board or embedded in the master chip. It just takes a lot of duplication, like duplicating/remaking an entire Windows OS. See what'Im saying?

On 10/16/2021 at 10:17 AM, ClassicGMR said:

Try telling that to Velocity's Jet Fighter II. AWESOME game that DOSBox never runs right. But what do I know? :)

It was fun and amusing to scratch the itch that told me EA's F/A-18 Interceptor (amiga) and JetFighter II (pc) were more similar than different.

While each *is* different because of platforms, the similarities are more than striking. The shapes of the planes, the cockpit instrument panels, the West Coast flying area & combat arena.. And especially the controls and views available. What else would be expected - they were both worked on by Bob Dinnerman, Moses Ma, Dave Warhol, and others.

Thanks to emulation it was a breeze to play them side-by-side on the same monitor. Going with real hardware I would either have had to previously had both systems setup. Or at least pull an Amiga out my ass. And buy a vintage PC from ebay, since my 486 is currently packed away at the moment.