IGNORED

Ontario GTA Users

oo7

Am curious... How many of you are from the GTA? Any?

When I was a kid a lot of people I knew had XLs. One friend had a 400.

A little later some XEs and a few STs.

So back in the day there were many. not to mention how big the TAF meetings used to get at one point as well (mind you everyone at TAF was older generation)

Im wondering if anyone at all over here is still into this platform and has made it here or not.

• Like 1

I used to live in Southern Ontario (and still did when I joined AA) in addition to TAF there was KWEST in Kitchener/Waterloo and LATCH in London, all 3 places I called home at one point or another.  Maybe London is outside of GTA, but still pretty close.   If you watch peoples signatures you see lots of Canadians and Ontarians show up.  (Lots being more than 10)...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

I used to live in Southern Ontario (and still did when I joined AA) in addition to TAF there was KWEST in Kitchener/Waterloo and LATCH in London, all 3 places I called home at one point or another.  Maybe London is outside of GTA, but still pretty close.   If you watch peoples signatures you see lots of Canadians and Ontarians show up.  (Lots being more than 10)...

I never knew of Latch, Missed it.

10 isnt that many but more than I was thinking lol.

18 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

I'm only a province away from the Grand Theft Atari in a region known as Worse France lol

QC! not that far really. Before the pandemic Ide be out that way often due to work.

We have a branch in St Laurent QC

Even have a fave pizza place out there lol.

Pizza Arena Lachine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oo7 said:

@VinsCool In the old days my friends and i use to go to mtl just to go clubbing lol. Friends of ours that had gone to school there got us into it. This one club we used to go to had a roof top patio very very very high up

Club 747 at Place Ville Marie?

I was partial to the patio at Café Frappé on St Laurent, with gin and tonic by the pitcher.

10 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

I find it hilarious that a convo about the GTA has turned into a discussion of the best of Montreal. Toronto didn’t even finish one round….emoji854.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey hey be nice lmao

Its not hockey!

Edited by oo7
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, abbotkinneydude said:

Can you explain? I'm not sure I understand.

I happen to know somebody in person from Quebec. She is not a true Quebecer, or Québécois as some insist to say ;) But she lived there for over 50 years. Quebec is more French than France, in the sense that they are even more prone to keep to their language and culture. This happens a lot when an ethnic minority lives abroad for several generations. They miss the evolution of the mother country.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ivop said:

I happen to know somebody in person from Quebec. She is not a true Quebecer, or Québécois as some insist to say ;) But she lived there for over 50 years. Quebec is more French than France, in the sense that they are even more prone to keep to their language and culture. This happens a lot when an ethnic minority lives abroad for several generations. They miss the evolution of the mother country.

Ivop - I am actually a French expatriate who has been living in the United States for more than 20 years.

French Canada is very, very special to us. That's where we get our French textbooks, literature, physical media, etc. It's the true lung of the French language in Northern America.

It's actually even more important to French speaking minorities in Louisiana, Maine (New England in general) and the neighboring states with Canada where there still are some French speaking minorities.

(And I'm not even counting all the expats in California, French language is actually quite common in Los Angeles and San Francisco due to the number of engineers, French families living there).

Long story short... Using the term "worse" with France and French Canada is insulting, especially at a time when the future of Québec is in question.

That's why I was asking for an explanation.

Regards.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, abbotkinneydude said:

Ivop - I am actually a French expatriate who has been living in the United States for more than 20 years.

French Canada is very, very special to us. That's where we get our French textbooks, literature, physical media, etc. It's the true lung of the French language in Northern America.

I can totally understand that. There are also Dutch communities all over the world, and German, and what not. They all stick together to not lose their heritage. That can be valuable, but they sometimes miss the evolution of said heritage and predominantly stick to the past. That was my point. Now back to my interpretation of Vinscool :)

Long story short... Using the term "worse" with France and French Canada is insulting, especially at a time when the future of Québec is in question.

I interpreted it as a wink to the stereotype of French being arrogant and stubborn, and that being "worse" in Québec. And Vinscool being from Québec, made it even more funnier to me :)

Don't feel offended. Just fart in our general direction. Our mothers are hamsters, and our fathers smell of elderberry.

But let's see what Vinscool has to say... :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, abbotkinneydude said:

It's actually even more important to French speaking minorities in Louisiana, Maine (New England in general) and the neighboring states with Canada where there still are some French speaking minorities.

(And I'm not even counting all the expats in California, French language is actually quite common in Los Angeles and San Francisco due to the number of engineers, French families living there).

Regards.

I think "worse" was meaning more strict in this case, not as an insult.

All the French-Canadians I know are proud of who they are.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oo7 said:

I think "worse" was meaning more strict in this case, not as an insult.

All the French-Canadians I know are proud of who they are.

oo7,

I must be lacking a sense of humor then but I still wouldn't use the word "worse".

I obviously have no animosities against anyone on these boards as we are all ATARI 8-Bit afficionados but I do care about French culture and language more than anything (and so do my children!).

Thank you for chiming in. Appreciated.

Note: There's still a small ATARI 8-bit scene in France (with a French speaking facebook group) and we are quite a few French speakers on these boards.

It would be great to detail that scene as it's never been covered by ANTIC (podcast) or any other English speaking publication.

• Like 2

Oh dear, I did not mean to ignite a war with my post!

I was only making a joke, it's a pretty common one among Ontarians/Québecois, so I intended to make it sound like a funny remark instead of actually insulting people.

Just to make it clear, I live there, and French is in fact my first language, what I said earlier was not a jab at the people living here, honest.

"Worse" only poked fun at the cultural differences between France (the country) and Québec (the province), there was no malicious intentions behind my reply :) 

That being said, I love the Ataris, and the Atarians from all over the world are automatically people I like, so sorry for the misunderstanding, I admit that probably came off in a rude way now.

Désolé les amis francophones si j'ai offensé qui que ce soit, ce n'était pas du tout mon intention!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1