IGNORED

Most underrated game for Atari 8-bit computers

Yautja

1 hour ago, Paul Westphal said:

This game had destructable terrain and great AI :

Fantastic game, and don't forget.  The author showed up here, and released the full version along with IIRC some development materials.  Gauntletak I think it was changed to for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

Played endlessly  these two....

50 minutes ago, HolmesA8 said:

I always loved Master of the Lamps by Activision, very rarely hear it mentioned.  Would actually make a cool pick up and play game on the Lynx TBH.

master_of_the_lamps_3[1].gif

5 hours ago, Yautja said:

This is another good game; but that I couldn't point as "popular"... as it doesn't even show in Atarimania's top 500: http://www.atarimania.com/top-atari-game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-_G_8_V_500.html

• Like 1

I believe the most underrated Atari 8-bit game is The Eternal Dagger.  I loved the story and, super meticulous and deep for its time, turn-based combat.  Its one of the few RPGs I've ever played through twice.

Underrated honorable mentions to Racing Destruction Set, which would have been more popular had the graphics been better, along with Mail Order Monsters and the Spy Versus Spy games.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, kconan said:

I believe the most underrated Atari 8-bit game is The Eternal Dagger.  I loved the story and, super meticulous and deep for its time, turn-based combat.  Its one of the few RPGs I've ever played through twice.

Underrated honorable mentions to Racing Destruction Set, which would have been more popular had the graphics been better, along with Mail Order Monsters and the Spy Versus Spy games.

Eternal Dagger rules… played it for months with AR:Dungeon and U3 and 4…. But Wizard’s Crown wasn’t bad either.

RDS and MOM were underrated on A8 because weak maybe same like I would say Rampage… always found the technical conversion bad…

but Spy vs Spy 1-3 weren’t underrated as they were hit games?

On 9/24/2021 at 9:58 PM, HolmesA8 said:

I always loved Master of the Lamps by Activision, very rarely hear it mentioned.

I like this game too.  Nice music

On 9/25/2021 at 2:10 PM, kconan said:

I played a lot of Wizard's Crown.   I don't think I played Eternal Dagger much, possibly I was burnt out on the formula at the time. 

On 9/25/2021 at 2:10 PM, kconan said:

Underrated honorable mentions to Racing Destruction Set, which would have been more popular had the graphics been better.

I'm not sure it was a graphics problem or the way the game performed with weird physics that kind of took the fun out of it.

Retrofire!  Call me weird but I actually love it.  Uses artifacting for color.  Neat 3D lunar lander clone with wireframe terrain that gets more detailed in steps as you land.  Having to worry about radiation exposure is a weird twist too.  I play this game a lot still.  It was a machine language type-in in a magazine I believe.

18 hours ago, Irgendwer said:

Crossfire
Crossfire atari screenshot

Yeah this one is in my 'most played' cart stack. Another version of this, Ozzy's Orchard is equally good and equally obscure.

The other two 'criminally underrated' games off the top of my head would be Spare Change and Dreadnaught Factor

• Like 2

On 9/24/2021 at 10:25 PM, Yautja said:

This is another good game; but that I couldn't point as "popular"... as it doesn't even show in Atarimania's top 500: http://www.atarimania.com/top-atari-game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-_G_8_V_500.html

I had Sun Star as a kid, I remember my Auntie bought it me for Christmas back in the day ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Yes this was really well done,  I played it alot.

Another Q*bert type game I enjoyed was Slinky.  I got it super-cheap on cassette. 

slinky_3.gif.ca247a3b98f8a641ebb5603758222f1c.gif

My personal favorite of the 'Q-Bert' style games is Flip and Flop. Very rare on cart, I lucked into a copy a few years back at a con. It's very fun:

flip_and_flop_3.gif

• Like 1