IGNORED

Digitunes an Atari 130 XE program

rcamp48

12 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

have not found a way of taking 8 bit samples down to 4 bit samples.

You don't do that on Atari, nowadays.

Instead, you first encode in .WAV or .MP3 (for example), then encode to .PDM format, (pulse or wave? density, with Xuel's web-browser encoder) and then playback at MUCH higher quality than anything from Yogi's samples, all via AVG-cart .PDM player, for instance.

You will be blown away with the difference in quality...

• Like 2

As you say, total novelty value, no one in their right mind would want to listen full tracks in that quality, even the PDM stuff, while excellent is not what I'd listen to, visual and audio stuff I want in the best possible format. It is nice to see our old machines doing things we thought were not really possible, but purely bite size entertainment..

• Like 1

Yes, we do have better sampling options today. Therefore most of these old samples are only 16k in length and can be loaded quickly from diskette (and here we also have better options today).

Regarding PDM, I think I also have better options available today - better than any 8Bit or 16Bit computer could do.

Yes I digitize music in full lengths of the record(s) in surround sound , I have ways of making the tunes sound *almost* as good as vinyl, and it takes a while, but if you really want to listen to good sampled music, I have a section on my BBS for just that.... Have not been doing too much of encoding into the Atari but have been encoding from the Atari. By the way the section on my BBS is for Public Domain files but I take them and re-encode them at a higher rate so that they sound better. I will of course leave a short 30 second sample that is done on my studio to let you hear the quality of what I get. PS: I use a Teak AN-60 Noise Reduction unit in between my amplifier and the tape deck or record player. The reason I am posting this is that IF someone has the stuff to set this up on an Atari computer, you have to start with very high quality samples, I have given you one. I would like to see this being played back on an Atari 130 XE without any special hardware. Can anyone do this?

Russ

What is the history of Digitunes? Is it posted anywhere? The 80s music sure represents what was current in popular music at the time ;-) 

I did a playback/editor program called The Vigitizer back in the 80s. I have been resurrecting it (currently have it building from source using ca65).

1 hour ago, bhall408 said:

What is the history of Digitunes? Is it posted anywhere? The 80s music sure represents what was current in popular music at the time ;-) 

I did a playback/editor program called The Vigitizer back in the 80s. I have been resurrecting it (currently have it building from source using ca65).

Yep, where we can get a copy of that "digitunes". I tried searching for Yogi collection, Jellystone, etc and I could not find it.

Edit: I think I found it in the tnfs server christfollowersbbs.ca under "Music" folder, but it did not work for me

Edited by manterola

I have it here .... it is is on one of my disks....Digitize-Tune.atr

I was also fooling around with MIDI in Mixcraft 9 Pro, I think I have a tune ready for playback on an Atari ST or an Atari 8 Bit with Midi, it is: vocal playback just a bit of fun.mid

Edited by rcamp48
add video
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yautja said:

It also cannot be run in Altirra :( :

It seems to be an old version of SpartDOS.

However if you mount the disk, but not boot from it, you can run the MENU program as well as a one of the sampled songs which was done as a .BIN application rather than a raw .MUS file.

I didn't find the player type app shown in the initial post on the ATR.

34 minutes ago, Yautja said:

BTW, does anyone have an idea of how this music was digitized back in the day? I mean, from tapes or LP disc to an Atari computer?

A microphone connected to the paddle port via a simple circuit...

You'd then use an app on the Atari that would sample the circuit to a buffer in memory for playback or saving to disk.

Here is a shot of the app I'd done...

256392309_VigitizerMainScreen.png.df5d9479d4d04977c7881887401c9208.png

• Like 3