IGNORED

The Bible On Disk by Bellcom

gilsaluki

Excuse my question, I'm not religious.

Is this a game or just the Bible on a disk?  Just curious..

I presume its just a computer based version of the Bible as making a game out of it would be a bit wrong....Stranger things have happened though..

Edited by Mclaneinc

It's just the Bible, but of course on many disks. It was a decade or two after it's release before an entire Bible could be put on one disk.

I wonder if the Hebrew Torah or Islamic Quran were ever done for the Atari 8-bit. Anyone know?

Of course the Torah is basically the same thing as the Old Testament of the Bible, just translated to various languages of the "Gentiles" (what everyone else is in the world that is not Jewish) since Christianity stemmed from the Hebrew religion. The New Testament is the real meat of Christianity, the Old Testament is more for the sake of history and continuity of faith for Christians in the Judeo/Christian world view.

But I don't know if everything from the Torah made it into the Christian Old testament. My father would have known (R.I.P) as he was a professor of theology and new these three major religions like the back of his hand, because he taught them! But I was never interested enough when he was alive to learn from him.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan said:

This thread just brings to light again we really need a website like Atarimania that has Atari 8-bit public domain programs that are easy to search and download.

There is so much, it would have to be a community project, but if it worked like aminet...that would be phenomenal.  Maybe AA or Atarimania could host it?

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Was the commercial version ever archived?

New Testament of the Holy Bible (Rodney E. Haun)

The public domain version contains a short description about it.

NT.thumb.png.8ffbcde2e4632e6740d934947eb622bd.png

That's odd.  I don't believe there ever was a commercially released version.  The PD version IS a "seven disk set of the complete KJV New Testament"  which does include "a program to allow you to read any chapter and verse of any book".  I know the PD version does not include graphics or cursive lettering.  Maybe that is the commercial version.  I would love to have it.  I tried searching for Rodney Haun on the net, couldn't find him.

32 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

The PD version IS a "seven disk set of the complete KJV New Testament"  which does include "a program to allow you to read any chapter and verse of any book".

It's not entirely clear, I suppose, what is exactly meant by "verse of any book" here. The PD version does not include verse numbers with the text, and doesn't allow specific access to verses. I'm assuming there is something more fine-grained about how the commercial version works.

I actually like reading the chapters without verse numbers (they were never part of the original texts anyway); but it's always useful to have the verse numbers for reference.

20 minutes ago, MrFish said:

It's not entirely clear, I suppose, what is exactly meant by "verse of any book" here. The PD version does not include verse numbers with the text, and doesn't allow specific access to verses. I'm assuming there is something more fine-grained about how the commercial version works.

I actually like reading the chapters without verse numbers (they were never part of the original texts anyway); but it's always useful to have the verse numbers for reference.

I see what you are meaning.  You are correct, PD version doesn't have verse numbers.  I would love to see that commercial version if it exists.

16 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Looks like Rodney E. Haun is an attorney now living in OH.  The net has all.  Even a phone number.  Don't suspect it'd be appropriate to ring him up to ask about the whereabouts of the commercial version.

It's a bit more of a unique situation though, if you get my meaning, not some old game or application. I bet he would be happy to help if he still has a copy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I wonder if the Hebrew Torah or Islamic Quran were ever done for the Atari 8-bit. Anyone know?

That would have to be in Hebrew and Arabic respectively, though. Our court systems keeps copies of "The Koran/Quran" for Muslim witnesses, but, as they're in English, Muslims regard them as "English interpretations of Koranic texts", and not a holy text themselves. And are therefore useless for their intended purpose. The only software that I've seen using the Hebrew and Arabic alphabets are games, but I'm sure other programs were sold. Perhaps the thought of learning Torah on my 800 in 1985 could have persuaded me to go to Hebrew school (I didn't go). :)

I'd love to see a Bellcom catalogue scanned in its entirety from the late '80s. I used to have a ton of those lying around.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Muslims regard them as "English interpretations of Koranic texts", and not a holy text themselves. And are therefore useless for their intended purpose.

But not useless for an English speaking non-Muslim who wants to read it to help understand Islam and Muslims better as a purely academic pursuit. But I only ask as a curiosity. The Torah I don't need an English translation of as I can reference the Old Testament of the Bible, and I already understand the Hebrew faith and people,  from studying the Bible and of course I am of the Christian faith, so I already also understand Christians. I was just curious about these texts in software on the Atari, I can borrow "Holy" texts in standard book form from my older brother who followed my father's footsteps and inherited all my father's religious texts when he died.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

But not useless for an English speaking non-Muslim who wants to read it to help understand Islam and Muslims better as a purely academic pursuit. But I only ask as a curiosity. The Torah I don't need an English translation of as I can reference the Old Testament of the Bible, and I already understand the Hebrew faith and people,  from studying the Bible and of course I am of the Christian faith, so I already also understand Christians. I was just curious about these texts in software on the Atari, I can borrow "Holy" texts in standard book form from my older brother who followed my father's footsteps and inherited all my father's religious texts when he died.

Well yes, of course. I meant "useless for their intended purposes in court", as it would be like swearing on an academic article about the Bible, instead of the Bible itself, if you get my drift. But I digress. :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Well yes, of course. I meant "useless for their intended purposes in court", as it would be like swearing on an academic article about the Bible, instead of the Bible itself, if you get my drift. But I digress. :)

Yes, I understood what you meant, I'm just not sure their "intended purpose" is just for Muslims to swear on in court as you wouldn't need a translated version since it's only being sworn on and not actually read. I think the true intended purpose of the translations are so English speaking people can read it. Why courts choose to use a translated version of the Quran instead of the real deal doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me for this reason, but then not much any branch of government does these days makes any logical sense.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Guys, I don't mind the talk about this software, but let's please stay out of politics and religion beyond that.

Thank you,

..Al

Sorry, but that was meant as a non-political jab at the non-elected bureaucracy and all things state run, not any political party or administration. I should have written it differently, using "branch" was a poor choice.