IGNORED

What are some good "fictional sports" retro games?

Cynicaster

I'm not much of a sports guy in real life or in video games, but I have enjoyed various "fictional sports" games through the years.  What I mean by "fictional sports" is just what it says - they're presented in the game as some kind of "sport" but not one that actually exists in the real world.  

Three of my favorites:

Powerball on Genesis (aka Wrestle Ball on Mega Drive):

Pit Ball on PS1:

Windjammers on Neo Geo:

Anybody have any other good ones to recommend?  Note, I'm mostly asking for truly fictional/futuristic type games, not - for example - a baseball or football game where the players are simply replaced with robots, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cynicaster said:

Anybody have any other good ones to recommend?  Note, I'm mostly asking for truly fictional/futuristic type games, not - for example - a baseball or football game where the players are simply replaced with robots, etc. 

Are racing games appropriate for your want-list? Something like Star Wars Episode 1 Racer perhaps?

• Like 1

Linking videos I hope isn't required, been a long day mostly so not in the mood. ;)  I guess a couple of these may be a bit of a stretch, but I really wasn't going to reach into the Mario sports stuff, because you know we all have to get pumped and use limited power shots, and dodge animated plants and animals.

Neo-Geo: Baseball 2020 and Windjammers

NES: Kunio sports ports of Crash n the Boys Street Challenge (combat/to the death field sports), and Super Dodgeball (because well it's murder ball)

SNES: Super Baseball 2020 (NG port-Baseball with robots), Mega Man Soccer, Smash TV should count, it's a death sport that doesn't exist on a gameshow like Running Man the movie.

I discovered the Japan-only Buster Ball in the last two months, and rather like it:

In high school, when my friends just wanted to play Goldeneye, I wanted to play Blast Chamber instead. Tons of awesome modes.

I really enjoy the close to finished prototype of Geoduel for the Atari Lynx that @MacRorie released: