IGNORED

Lets see your development / test area!

Shift838

So when I moved into the new house I carved out a section out of the garage for all my development and testing for TI/Geneve as well as other projects like Raspberry Pi, Arduino, etc..

It may not be as cool as others, but it works and thought I would share.  It helps that I have a dedicated gutted TI mounted too.

Let's see yours!

IMG-2812.jpg

IMG-2820.jpg

• Like 9

bench1.thumb.jpg.49b9b67dc2e23401b4e133d42afc0da3.jpgbench2.thumb.jpg.607550211d7e9dbc77d5654d7e3612d6.jpg

Somewhere in there is a 99/4A.  I have space, I'm just really bad at utilizing it.  I am very jealous of most of the other setups here, and I will certainly use them for inspiration.  This does not include over 30% of my garage that is full of computers I really don't need (or use, sadly).  Gotta get going on the purge.

@Vorticon setup makes me want to just sit down and spend hours taking over the world on that nondescript terminal to the right.  I definitely need to put my test 99/4A on a board like @Reciprocating Bill , that would make things so much easier and safer (you should put a heat-sink on that VDP if run that system open like that). I love the sparseness of @GDMike setup, that is exactly how I "imagine" my workspace: simple and efficient.  In reality it just goes everywhere and is a complete mess.  @Shift838 is clearly set up for some serious 99/4A hacking, exactly what you would want your bench to be.  The @J-Data and @jstimson setups are also really nice, very usable and organized.  *sigh*, one day...

On the weekly TI Zoom call you can also get a glimpse of people's work spaces, so please join, it is always good fun.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, matthew180 said:

you should put a heat-sink on that VDP if run that system open like that

Everyone says this, but I have run the Don't Mess with Texas demo at VCF-SE three years running on my MDF-mounted 4A without a heat-sink on the VDP, all day each day.  I checked the temperature every so often and it never got overly hot.  @acadiel might remember the numbers as I cannot.

• Like 1

I have a limited amount of space, so needed to compress my work desk, lab, etc all into one. Unfortunately that means that my retrocomputers don't really fit in this picture. So in practice when I want to use one one, I need to find & make space for it. I don't have a large collection, but I have a Sinclair ZX81, Spectrum 128k, Spectrum 128K +3, QL, Oric Atmos, Commodore 128, Amiga 1200 some others in addition to the TI. In practice I pretty much only do projects for the TI.

workspace.thumb.jpg.2a78dba6b4376e3c8194b7e0f0348597.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Everyone says this, but I have run the Don't Mess with Texas demo at VCF-SE three years running on my MDF-mounted 4A without a heat-sink on the VDP, all day each day.  I checked the temperature every so often and it never got overly hot.  @acadiel might remember the numbers as I cannot.

I've also run open machines without a VDP heatsink... but back in the day I ran a closed machine that died in 24 hours, and it turned out not to have the heatsink touching the VDP. I wonder if the closed case contributed...

I wonder, too, if different runs of the VDP might be more or less susceptible, cause I've /definitely/ had some that got very hot... too hot to touch anyway.

1 minute ago, Tursi said:

I wonder, too, if different runs of the VDP might be more or less susceptible, cause I've /definitely/ had some that got very hot... too hot to touch anyway.

It does make sense, and the better-safe-than-sorry approach is a good policy.  But, screw it: I have spares :D