IGNORED

Dessert Disaster! WIP Food Fight port to the 2600

kidirata

Hey all,

This is going to be my first post on this awesome forum, even though I have been a lurker on this site for around 10 years

Either way, I thought now would be a good time to reveal a project that I have been working on for the last few weeks, and will be my first Atari Game that I have coded - Dessert Disaster!

Dessert Disaster is a clone/port of Food Fight from the Arcade/XE/7800 onto the original 2600, and so far, I have a crude prototype completed using the DPC+ kernel, batari basic, and a variety of tricks in order to get the amount of sprites, characters, and items into the game

Currently I have the spritework, basic enemy AI, projectile and item pickup system, and a shell of gameplay completed and, honestly, I am quite happy with how its turning out so far, considering this is the first game I have coded for a few years, and the first one I have coded for the 2600

Let me know what you guys think so far, I will have a copy of the prototype attached to this post, its 3 am where I live and will now be going to bed.

Cheers!

DessertDisaster.bas.bin

• Like 9

On 9/17/2021 at 1:45 AM, kidirata said:

Hey all,

This is going to be my first post on this awesome forum, even though I have been a lurker on this site for around 10 years

Either way, I thought now would be a good time to reveal a project that I have been working on for the last few weeks, and will be my first Atari Game that I have coded - Dessert Disaster!

Dessert Disaster is a clone/port of Food Fight from the Arcade/XE/7800 onto the original 2600, and so far, I have a crude prototype completed using the DPC+ kernel, batari basic, and a variety of tricks in order to get the amount of sprites, characters, and items into the game

Currently I have the spritework, basic enemy AI, projectile and item pickup system, and a shell of gameplay completed and, honestly, I am quite happy with how its turning out so far, considering this is the first game I have coded for a few years, and the first one I have coded for the 2600

Let me know what you guys think so far, I will have a copy of the prototype attached to this post, its 3 am where I live and will now be going to bed.

Cheers!

DessertDisaster.bas.bin 32 kB · 24 downloads

Awesome work!! Keep at it!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate the support. Here is the current "beta" build of the game, all of the features, such as scoring, sound effects, updated sprites (main character inspired by spritework in Birthday Mania) music, title screen, and gameplay have been completed but not finalized. As for the screen jitter issue, I am still actively working on that, but it seems to have improved after relegating different commands to certain frames, plus I'm sure there are plenty of bugs that I have not discovered yet. 

Let me know what you all think!

DessertDisaster.bas.bin

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 11:21 PM, kidirata said:

Thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate the support. Here is the current "beta" build of the game, all of the features, such as scoring, sound effects, updated sprites (main character inspired by spritework in Birthday Mania) music, title screen, and gameplay have been completed but not finalized. As for the screen jitter issue, I am still actively working on that, but it seems to have improved after relegating different commands to certain frames, plus I'm sure there are plenty of bugs that I have not discovered yet. 

Let me know what you all think!

Great start, it's definitely coming together! Looking forward to playing it on ZPH when you fix the line count issues.

Some observations:

1) You can always outrun the enemies by heading up to the right at the start of a level and once they get close, move down and around them to the ice cream.

2) If you stand to the left of the enemies with your weapon in hand they will all gather together in a line, run into your weapon and get stunned. You can stand there as long as you like without dying until the time runs out.

3) A bit of you and the enemies graphics can appear on the left side of the screen when you or they run up against the right hand side.

It would be great to see the ice cream start to melt as the time runs out! Keep up the good work!

- James

I think it looks really good so far!  I think Zero Page Homebrews observations are spot on!  I think the movement speed of your character may fix issue 1.  This is one of my favorite 7800 games and Atari games in general.  I've always wondered why the 2600 never received a port of this game.  

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

So...I think I can easily assume this project is most likely dead 😂

Sometimes projects get set aside for quite some time before they get picked up again. @Thomas Jentzsch finished a project that had been dormant for something close to 20 years(?), now available in the AtariAge store🙂 Sometimes also of course projects don't get finished, but you can't necessarily draw conclusions based on not seeing activity for a year.

• Like 2