IGNORED

II in a Mac benchmarking test

bluejay

I discovered this Apple II emulator for 68k Mac a while back, called II in a Mac, which supposedly runs on a Mac 512K at the minimum. The only website that I found much info about this emulator on gave no further description than “about half the speed of a real Apple II”. Having found some free time, I decided to test this emulator. I used a BASIC benchmarking program I found online and ran it through my Apple //e, and it took 3 minutes and 29 seconds. The emulator running on my 7.8MHz 68000 Macintosh SE FDHD took a whopping 17 minutes and 35 seconds! I attempted to run it on my Powermac G4, but the program wouldn’t run properly enough for me to test it.

If you have classic Macs yourself, I’d love to see how fast this emulator runs on 030 or 040 Macs, or even other 68000 Macs too.

Here’s a link to the emulator:

https://www.landsnail.com/ii-in-a-mac.htm

and the benchmarking program that I used. 

http://www.retroprogramming.com/2010/01/8-bit-home-computer-benchmarks.html?m=1

Note that you must edit a segment of line 50 from “A THEN 40” to “A GOTO 40”, as Applesoft BASIC will automatically try to interpret it as AT HEN 40 for whatever reason. You must measure the time with a separate stopwatch as the program will not keep track of the flow of time for you. 

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

I've read about it before on that site, but since I have a IIe Card I wasn't interested. I find your benchmarking idea curious, however, so I s'pose I'll give it a go in my "hot-rodded" LC 475. You'll just have to sit tight about a month or two [!], until I get the free time. Until then, hopefully someone else'll indulge you.

• Like 1

Yeah, the program doesn’t want to run on Apple’s 68k emulator for PPC. It didn’t work correctly on my Powermac G4 as I mentioned, and someone else confirmed that it didn’t work on his beige G3. 

Would be really cool to see it on a LC475. It’s got something like a 40MHz 040 right? Would probably perform as well as a real Apple II. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2021 at 2:30 AM, bluejay said:

If you have classic Macs yourself, I’d love to see how fast this emulator runs on 030 or 040 Macs, or even other 68000 Macs too.

The emulator won't run on my Mac Quadra 605 (68040 @ 25mhz) - it crashes.

On my Mac IIsi (68030 @ 20mhz), the emulator runs the benchmark in 4 minutes and 21 seconds.

• Like 2