IGNORED

Atari XL GameBase

.mad.

The games have come from all sorts of sources, it was originally made by Mark Hardnman utilising the Gamebase database program. It had some of my stuff in it but that's been removed because ALtirra now supports .bas files, I had made atr's for a load of bas files. So it's a bitsa thing, bits of this, bits from that. There will be some of Atarimania bits for sure but just as much of Atarimania came from us lot etc..

Nice one .mad, just going through the script changing stuff to my normal defaults.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

So, is that what this then, an archive of games taken from Atarimania.com?

Originally that's what it was.

A snapshot in time of the stuff available on the website (2012).

with TOSEC and other stuff found online.

Now it's more focused on the best 'cracked' game collection, with the old original stuff still in there as an extra.

*I have many more original disk and tape versions. But none of those have been added to this gamebase.

HomeSoft is the source of the collection, with latest from Fandal and Atarionline.pl.

Single file cracks are chosen over disk versions if possible, for instant loading from the front end.

There were many fake ATR files created with MAKEATR, BAS2COM.

ALL those odd sized ATR files have been deleted.

approx 4000 game files have been updated or replaced and 380 New games since the 2017 release.

• Thanks 1

What's next?

I'm stunned my old Northern mate is still putting the time into these things (although I'm glad he does), both him and I have been on the GameBase scene for more years than we probably want to admit and many won't realise just how fiddly it is and hugely time-consuming. Hats off to him, he's produced a number of GB's of excellent quality and always helps out on the site.

Yes, Homesoft has the best versions of games (no cracks, no glitches on start, no long depacking times).

It has ATR too of games not available on XEX format.

It is possible to download the entire collection with one click.

But it's not a complete collection.

To my personal collection I added few games and CAR games (they load faster and sometimes they don't need memory expansion - AVGCart with SIO cable loads everything ah ah).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, youxia said:

What's next? I'm slowly trying to build a proper 1G1R Apple II collection, if you ever consider updating Apple II GB give me a shout.

I did dabble with Apple IIe a while ago.

4am crack collection.

many more disks have been added since i did, so may look at updating that.

but i do not have the HD space to go all in on a complete series Apple GB.

6 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Every HomeSoft XEX and ATR is in the GB.

Plus 3000 (approx) games from other collections, Homebrew, Educational, Mag listings, TOSEC...

I know the collection is incomplete, but it does have 7633 (and counting) games to play with. ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, .mad. said:

4am crack collection.

4am is great, but it's not everything that's available. There are many tape games and other stuff scattered around. I've downloaded most of it I think (eg complete Asimov) and I'm slowly filtering through. If I manage to get it into 1G1R shape at some point I will post on GB forum, perhaps somebody can use it to update the Apple IIe Gamebase.

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

Yes, Homesoft has the best versions of games (no cracks, no glitches on start, no long depacking times).

It has ATR too of games not available on XEX format.

It is possible to download the entire collection with one click.

To my personal collection I added few games and CAR games (they load faster and sometimes they don't need memory expansion - AVGCart with SIO cable loads everything ah ah).

1 hour ago, .mad. said:

I know the collection is incomplete, but it does have 7633 (and counting) games to play with. 

I meant Homesoft collection is not complete, not yours. ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was excited to discover and download this excellent collection of curated Atari 8-bit games and manuals and picture files.

I think I extracted and assembled the collection properly. I am guessing there is an executable file that launches the game database. I cannot find any obvious gamebase exe file to start the presentation.

Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Sorry, i should mentioned. You will need to install Gamebase.

*This is for Windows only.

The Gamebase frontend was last updated in 2010, and uses Visual BASIC 6 DLL files.

It does run on Win10, but to avoid rezip problems Install at C:\Gamebase\

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gamebase/files/gamebase/v1.3/gamebase-setup-v1.3-full.exe/download

On 9/19/2021 at 3:18 AM, MrFish said:

All Atari 8-bit game collections are incomplete. ;)

Yes, but some are more incomplete than others.?

• Like 2

By their nature, any collection that has the power to grow can never be incomplete or complete... Neither truly exist as they are in limbo awaiting any new or last additions...

Who knows what will happen in 100yrs time, maybe the UK will have a proper supply of petrol by then :) maybe someone will write a new game just for the hell of it..

Yes, one of the reasons I love a well done GB, a lot of the history in one package.. Plus I like going through the screenshots seeing if I spot an old fave I'd forgotten about..

F4, the category window is just so helpful... Years, Genres, Publisher etc etc etc

heh, all kinds of issues trying download this... and then.. transfer quota this... buy this package... wait 6 hours to download... transfer quota that.

really odd

I'm sure it's a great collection... but sadly the nags, hassles, and hurdles are making it impossible to get.

Yeah, Mega (the host) is a pain at times, I'm not sure how they calculate their quota with the user as I've had times like with this actual gamebase where it let me get all of it in one go, but other times after 4 or 5gig it would stop and make me wait hours..

20 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

heh, all kinds of issues trying download this... and then.. transfer quota this... buy this package... wait 6 hours to download... transfer quota that.

really odd

I'm sure it's a great collection... but sadly the nags, hassles, and hurdles are making it impossible to get.

Yeah, I gave up on it after the above-mentioned joys.

Surely needs a better host.

Mega has a download limit of 5GB in 5 hours.

the whole gamebase is 6.5GB

I have packed the files in smaller sizes under 2GB making it easier and possible to download.

if you reach the quota limit and cancel the download (not waiting).

the file which exceeds the limit, will need to be downloaded again. Adding to the next 5GB quota.

it's possible to download it all apart from 1 extras manual pack, wait 5 hours and then download the last file.

if you just can't wait...

i am told JDownloader will automate the download process and get past all the quota limits. ;)

but it's not needed in this case.

22 hours ago, youxia said:

I've been thinking about throwing them all up on archive.org, but don't want to step on anybody's toes. What do you think, @.mad.?

My way of thinking is...

If a Gamebase is on your computer, you own it.

It's yours to do whatever you want with it.

I only ask that it should be free to download.

• Thanks 1