IGNORED

Atari XL GameBase

.mad.

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

extras manuals 0-E... possible that's A-E?  Typo mayhaps.

I will try again later... mega just told me it had a 'blob' error. ?

no it means, games that start with a number to letter E.

0 Grad Nord, 221B Baker St...

I have never heard of a "blob" error.:?

Not a clue what could have caused that!.

maybe clear cookies and cache...

For a casual Atari 800 collector and gamer; should I consider the Atari 800 XL GameBase replaces my installation of the "Atari 800 Best Game Pack" ?  Or does each installation have its own special features?  

Thank You and Best Wishes to all contributors to this amazing project.

Edited by DFELD2005

Keep both, the gamepack what we and AA members thought were the best games, me and Dongslo aimed at just high quality games where the gamebase is a big snap shot of what is out there, so has not so hot stuff and all the new stuff, but as gaming in personal, what I don't like you may love.. 

Both have stuff to offer... The gamepack is a bit dated now but all the testing and tweaking was too much for me so it got put on the backburner.. (not coming back)

It's still worth having for when you want all the top (bar new ones) in one place without needing to search through all the other stuff

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your helpful replies. As part of my trial and error installation and testing of the Atari XL GameBase, I tried using the "Verify Available Files" feature under Tools.  I should probably not go down this rabbit hole, but what if my installation has a variety of messed up database connections (maybe less than 100)??  I think I can find most of the missing files somewhere within the Games and Extras folders.  Some are just misplaced.  There are certainly lots of multiple entries and versions.  Etc etc etc.

Is this a problem with my local installation or is it a common occurrence?

Thank You for your advice.

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Keep both, the gamepack what we and AA members thought were the best games, me and Dongslo aimed at just high quality games where the gamebase is a big snap shot of what is out there, so has not so hot stuff and all the new stuff, but as gaming in personal, what I don't like you may love.. 

Both have stuff to offer... The gamepack is a bit dated now but all the testing and tweaking was too much for me so it got put on the backburner.. (not coming back)

It's still worth having for when you want all the top (bar new ones) in one place without needing to search through all the other stuff

Hey I really appreciate the effort you and others have put into these gamebase/game pack updates!  I come and go from the Atari 8bit scene and these are really helpful when the (sometimes large) itch occurs :).

Just to check - is 1.20 beta 3 (~ 2014) the final version of that best game pack?  I'm going to grab a copy for my father who got me into computing with the Atari 800 :) ..  

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, DFELD2005 said:

As part of my trial and error installation and testing of the Atari XL GameBase, I tried using the "Verify Available Files" feature under Tools.  I should probably not go down this rabbit hole

You should always use that feature after installing a GameBase.

If you have anything missing, it will be files extracted into a wrong or duplicated folder.

It will be easy to spot the mistake when you read the verify.txt

2 hours ago, DFELD2005 said:

Is this a problem with my local installation or is it a common occurrence?

I've just installed this one and it all works fine. But there can be a few gotchas...

-it's recommended to install the main Gamebase directory to a root of a drive. If it's not drive c :  but some external drive, I usually install it on c : anyway as well

-make sure the directory you unpacked a particular GB to has the same name as the .mdb file inside: eg this GB has "Atari-XL.mdb" main file, so the directory should be called "Atari-XL", and be placed within the main Gamebase directory (the one where gamebase.exe is). So for example on my machine it's like this: f:\GameBase\Atari-XL\

-once you get this GB going, go to Tools > Atari-XL Paths, and check that the links in tabs point to the actual directories where stuff is

Just for proof of concept, I started searching for some of the over 400 missing Extras files identified in my Verify.txt. I found and then copied the listed files from Games/xex to Extras/xex and from Games/mania/xex to Extras/mania/xex.  The copied files disappeared from my subsequent output of Verify.txt (for Extras).  I think all my "missing" Extras files are in the Games folders. Likely, I will stop after copying a few more games I may want to play.

Edited by DFELD2005

4 hours ago, DFELD2005 said:

Just for proof of concept, I started searching for some of the over 400 missing Extras files identified in my Verify.txt. I found and then copied the listed files from Games/xex to Extras/xex and from Games/mania/xex to Extras/mania/xex.  The copied files disappeared from my subsequent output of Verify.txt (for Extras).  I think all my "missing" Extras files are in the Games folders. Likely, I will stop after copying a few more games I may want to play.

I can guess your setup extras path is incorrect.

moving files around can cause more problems that it fixes.

you also need to set the games path in the extras path search.

this is for all the alternative homesoft crack versions of the same game.

example.

game

ballblazer [no intro or pic]

extras

ballblazer [intro version]

ballblazer [title version]

check the paths.ini in the Atari-XL folder

[Games]
1=C:\GameBase\Atari-XL\Games
2=
[Pictures]
1=C:\GameBase\Atari-XL\Screenshots
2=
[Extras]
1=C:\GameBase\Atari-XL\Extras
2=C:\GameBase\Atari-XL\Games <- the games path must also be added here
3=
[Misc]
Music=C:\GameBase\Atari-XL\Music
Photos=C:\GameBase\Atari-XL\Photos

Edited by .mad.
typo

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2021 at 7:22 PM, .mad. said:

I did dabble with Apple IIe a while ago.

4am crack collection.

many more disks have been added since i did, so may look at updating that.

but i do not have the HD space to go all in on a complete series Apple GB.

Every HomeSoft XEX and ATR is in the GB.

Plus 3000 (approx) games from other collections, Homebrew, Educational, Mag listings, TOSEC...

I know the collection is incomplete, but it does have 7633 (and counting) games to play with. ?

SOrry to pull a semi old thread back, .mad, where are the homesoft titles, I can't find a mention of them and I'm missing no files.....Bit confused?   (easy at my age)

On 10/4/2021 at 10:05 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

extras manuals 0-E... possible that's A-E?  Typo mayhaps.

I will try again later... mega just told me it had a 'blob' error. ?

No, it is 0 (Zero) for stuff that starts with a number like 221B Baker Street and 747 Landing simulator.